Future Predator Tank (NEED SUGGESTIONS, COMMENTS)

alec106

Hi, come June I will be upgrading from a 30 gallon tank to a 120 gallon tank and came up with a list of PREDATOR fish and also tangs that I would like in the new tank.
Here is what I already own:
1. Miniatus Grouper (Baby)
2. Snowflake Eel (8" long approx)
3. Panther Grouper (newborn, size of my thumb; currently in quarantine to avoid getting eaten)
Here is what I want:
1. Bamboo shark
2. Black Volitan Lionfish
3. Radiata Lionfish
4. Blue Spotted Puffer
5. Blue Tang
6. Yellow Tang
Note that since the grouper and eel I have now are small in size, when they get moved to the 120 gal. I want them to be with small/medium tankmates (tangs a little bigger, to avoid tank bullying) So what do you think? Any no's but's if's etc?

mjm889

lionfish and triggers do not mix well, at first they might but after a while the triggers will pick on the lion, i love your list but alot of those fish get huge even for 120. i would only go with four or five of those fish for that tank, this is what i would pick from your list, eel, min grouper, yellow tang and the humu humu trigger

alec106

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm889 http:///forum/thread/383558/future-predator-tank-need-suggestions-comments#post_3355534
lionfish and triggers do not mix well, at first they might but after a while the triggers will pick on the lion, i love your list but alot of those fish get huge even for 120. i would only go with four or five of those fish for that tank, this is what i would pick from your list, eel, min grouper, yellow tang and the humu humu trigger
Good list, but im OBSESSED with lions hahaha, so I'll take triggers off the list

cranberry

That's too many big fish in that size tank for that mix to work.
Lions may not be aggressive, but they ARE like swimming pin cushions. That much traffic in that size tank.... someone's getting jabbed.
Some of those fish are too big for that size tank even on their own....

mjm889

see and i love triggers, also remember the waste from these fish are going to be off the charts because there all meat eaters except the tangs, and they can be messy too, my hippo and yellow are pooping machines

alec106

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm889 http:///forum/thread/383558/future-predator-tank-need-suggestions-comments#post_3355545
see and i love triggers, also remember the waste from these fish are going to be off the charts because there all meat eaters except the tangs, and they can be messy too, my hippo and yellow are pooping machines
I can handle disposal of waste. I been cleaning and operating fresh and saltwater tanks for YEARS I had 8 tanks running at once, and I had to clean a 10 gallon tank with 20+ fish in it. THAT was a nightmare haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/thread/383558/future-predator-tank-need-suggestions-comments#post_3355540
That's too many big fish in that size tank for that mix to work.
Lions may not be aggressive, but they ARE like swimming pin cushions. That much traffic in that size tank.... someone's getting jabbed.
Some of those fish are too big for that size tank even on their own....
That's why I want to try with babies. I want to leave plenty room for the bottom dwellers (shark, ray, lions) and then a lot of hiding places for the others. Its a pretty tall tank too so theres plenty of swimming room. I talked to my local fish store they said it would be alright as long as they were all babies. But thank you for the 411!

meowzer

YIKES......IDK a lot about these types of fish....but this does not sound too good
20 fish in a 10G

alec106

List updated. Picasso trigger, Blue spotted stingray removed from "want" list, panther grouper added to "own" list

srfisher17

I don't know where to start. Neither puffers or triggers belong with lions. A well fed panther grouper will outgrow your tank in a matter of months. Bottom line; you sound like you're stocking a 1000 gal tank, not a 120. Most 120 gal tanks are only 4' long; a ray & shark in a 4' tank? I'm not a shark or ray keeper; but I doubt that any of either could do well, long term, in a 120. With other fish? I can't even imagine it..

saltfan

The Lion Fish alone are gonna be HUGE. I'm usually not one to tell someone that their not gonna make it, but...this time I'm afraid this has to be one of those times. goto the LFS and ask him how big a Oscar gets, now you have an idea how big one of those Lion fish are gonna get, in short order.

alec106

I decided to take off the Mombasa lion (and the blue puffer, after hearing it isn't good with Lions either) Panther, miniatus grouper and snowflake eel is what I have now.

S

saxman

Look at the adult sizes of your fish.
A panther grouper (max. 20") will end up requiring a 300 gal setup.
A miniatus grouper, altho one of the smaller species at 14", will still do better in at least a 180.
Your SFE will hit 2' easily, and will get aggressive as it matures (I know, I kept one for 15 years), altho a 120 is fine here.
Even the smallest sharks really require a min of 300 gals with a lot of open space for swimming.
A P. volitans (think of them as a 12" cube or an American football in size) will be fine in a 120, but you're already more than maxed out.

alec106

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///forum/thread/383558/future-predator-tank-need-suggestions-comments#post_3357035
Look at the adult sizes of your fish.
A panther grouper (max. 20") will end up requiring a 300 gal setup.
A miniatus grouper, altho one of the smaller species at 14", will still do better in at least a 180.
Your SFE will hit 2' easily, and will get aggressive as it matures (I know, I kept one for 15 years), altho a 120 is fine here.
Even the smallest sharks really require a min of 300 gals with a lot of open space for swimming.
A P. volitans (think of them as a 12" cube or an American football in size) will be fine in a 120, but you're already more than maxed out.
Well when the groupers get too big I'll either A. eat them or B. release them into the wild
My snowflake eel is about a foot long already but hes not fat and he is already aggressive haha.
And as for lionfish, Im not gonna release them into the wild when they get too big due to them being invasive species in the atlantic. Don't think its a good idea to have them be invasive in the gulf haha.
I'm gonna just play it by year and see how it goes.

cranberry

Are you a troll?
If not, do not release ANYTHING back into the wild. You risk our environment. Read up on it.

B

brandonsivek

This has got to be a joke. Are there really people like this? I live in Texas and fish the Gulf of Mexico VERY often (look at my avatar) and if I ever saw someone dumping non-native fish into the waters I fish in, you better believe that we would have more than just a few words, plus a call to the States Game Wardens.