Future Predator Tank (NEED SUGGESTIONS, COMMENTS)

alec106

Look I asked for suggestions and comments not criticism and sarcasm. What my avatar was is none of your business. You don't know me. So please respect that and either shut up or give me a respectful answer. I'm not satisfied with this forum whatsoever so far. All I've gotten was criticism and negativity. Hopefully you guys help me out with my nitrate spike then I'm moving on to some other forum.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec106 http:///forum/thread/383558/future-predator-tank-need-suggestions-comments/20#post_3357485
Look I asked for suggestions and comments not criticism and sarcasm. What my avatar was is none of your business. You don't know me. So please respect that and either shut up or give me a respectful answer. I'm not satisfied with this forum whatsoever so far. All I've gotten was criticism and negativity. Hopefully you guys help me out with my nitrate spike then I'm moving on to some other forum.
I'm sorry you feel that way Alec......you see, the list you put together is so totally outrageous, that many may believe you are not serious
We have had some issues in the past with "trolls" starting threads just to get people hot under the collar....SAD TO SAY though, it has everyone on edge....Please do not take it personally, BUT.....please take the suggestions that you have been given seriously. There are a lot of people here that have great knowledge about the fish you ask about...
Just listen to what they have to say, IMO if you do....you will have a GREAT SW tank experience with Happy and healthy fish...and THAT is what we all strive for here

alec106

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/383558/future-predator-tank-need-suggestions-comments/20#post_3357490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec106
http:///forum/thread/383558/future-predator-tank-need-suggestions-comments/20#post_3357485
I'm sorry you feel that way Alec......you see, the list you put together is so totally outrageous, that many may believe you are not serious
We have had some issues in the past with "trolls" starting threads just to get people hot under the collar....SAD TO SAY though, it has everyone on edge....Please do not take it personally, BUT.....please take the suggestions that you have been given seriously. There are a lot of people here that have great knowledge about the fish you ask about...
Just listen to what they have to say, IMO if you do....you will have a GREAT SW tank experience with Happy and healthy fish...and THAT is what we all strive for here

I wouldn't have a problem if some of these people would leave the sarcastic comments to themselves. I came on here to get mixed opinions and even my LFS said all those fish would be perfect in a tank like that. Nothing against you, its against certain people in this forum. Like I said, Im gonna get some hopefully non-sarcastic info on my nitrate spike and then I'm deleting my account.Nothing but bad experiences.

aquaknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec106 http:///forum/thread/383558/future-predator-tank-need-suggestions-comments/20#post_3357491
I came on here to get mixed opinions ....
Please stop me when I'm wrong..... You came on here looking for someone else to help justify your plans with that ridiculous tank. When all you got were replies that suggested otherwise, you become frustrated.
When you post such outlandish things as that original stocklist, and mentioning that you're either eat the fish or release them into the wild, of course you're going to get these types of responses. Either shape up and stay, learn that at first, people were actually trying to help, before YOU
started the nonsense. Or have fun somewhere else. Don't waste your time on the nitrate thread. Although I will say, you're just going to get the same on another board with that attitude, more likely worse.

alec106

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKnight http:///forum/thread/383558/future-predator-tank-need-suggestions-comments/20#post_3357503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec106 http:///forum/thread/383558/future-predator-tank-need-suggestions-comments/20#post_3357491
I came on here to get mixed opinions ....
Please stop me when I'm wrong..... You came on here looking for someone else to help justify your plans with that ridiculous tank. When all you got were replies that suggested otherwise, you become frustrated.
When you post such outlandish things as that original stocklist, and mentioning that you're either eat the fish or release them into the wild, of course you're going to get these types of responses. Either shape up and stay, learn that at first, people were actually trying to help, before YOU
started the nonsense. Or have fun somewhere else. Don't waste your time on the nitrate thread. Although I will say, you're just going to get the same on another board with that attitude, more likely worse.
How did I start the nonsense? How in the HELL should I have known if the tank was ridiculous?!?! I was TOLD from the LFS it was FINE. No one had to try to be all sarcastic and RUDE like I'm seeing now. They could of easily said "Hey thats a nice list but a lot of those fish won't work in that tank we recommend you edit your list. You didnt have to act like your smarter than me and act as if youre "looking down" on me

meowzer

ALEC...read post #'s...2,4,5,7,8,9,12,13, and 15
ALL were trying to help.......then read your responses....NOBODY was rude or condescending to you until you starting talking about eating your fish.,.....after that it got kind of hard to determine your seriousness....

aquaknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec106 http:///forum/thread/383558/future-predator-tank-need-suggestions-comments/20#post_3357507
How in the HELL should I have known if the tank was ridiculous?!?
Nothing in your "YEARS of experience," would have suggested otherwise?
Or the only place telling you it was fine, was also the trying to sell you all the fish? Do you blindly bring a car into a repair shop and just say lemme know what's wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec106
http:///forum/thread/383558/future-predator-tank-need-suggestions-comments/20#post_3357512
Well how am I supposed to know you guys are all about "save the fish" not eat them?
The part about releasing them into the wild is a pretty serious offense. Although I do find it quite strange that you consider eating a pet you cared for your years....

novahobbies

Let's step back for a second.
Alec, your LFS is lying to you. Many of them do. It's an economics game, and unfortunately the nature of the business for most places -- they know that many new hobbyists are going to get in - and out - of the hobby within about six months time. That's their window of opportunity to lighten your checkbook. Less reputable places -- and I think yours may be one of them -- will basically tell you that ANYTHING is fine.....provided, of course, you're ready to buy it! The fact that your LFS said that all these fish are acceptable in your size tank just reinforces my belief that this place is below the bar. Find a new store.
As Meowzer said, your tank list is far, far above a reasonable limit. So much so that it reminded a few of us of a couple recent trolls. Your comment about eating your aquarium fish....please. I fish all the time. I practice catch and release, and I practice catchitcookiteatit. Still doesn't mean I would eat an aquarium fish. Even a miniatus grouper. Why? Well, realistically -- even if was "giant" for my tank, it's still not much of a meal, now is it?? And your comment about releasing back in the wild is just plain illegal. Sorry if you don't know this, but now you do.
Finally, I have to say that your gripings about members of this forum are not going to get you anywhere. Comments like "either shut up or give me a respectful answer," and "Im gonna get some hopefully non-sarcastic info on my nitrate spike and then I'm deleting my account.Nothing but bad experiences." don't exactly endear you to the general populace. Honestly, when I read that, my first response was, "Fine, don't let the door hit you on the a$$ on the way out..." and didn't give me any desire to try and help you. Nevertheless, let's look at your stock list.
Saxman and Cranberry have both given you very insightful information about some of these fish. You should listen to them; they are definitely the resident experts about lions and other stinging fish around here. If this was MY tank....I would take out the panther grouper and just stick with the miniatus. Keep the SFE. Get ONE volitans lion, since you know that this is really the fish you said you were crazy about. So...get it! Work your stock list AROUND that fish....even if it means taking somethings back to the store. If you must have a trigger with your setup, you might get away with a blue throat trigger -- they're generally known to be more peaceful. I still would think twice about that choice, however....it may pick at your lion. Instead, perhaps you could consider getting an adult yellow tang (adult so it won't be seen as food for the grouper) or an adult hepatus tang.
And...that's it! I know that four fish (grouper, eel, lion, 1 tang) doesn't seem like much, but trust me -- these boys will get LARGE. Your tank will be in constant motion. And bringing your stock list down to this level will, of course, keep your nitrate from spiking. When you transition to the big tank, that is.
That's it. I'm done. Take the advice, or leave it. Stay, or go. If you stay on, please believe me when I say, "Welcome!" If you sign out for good, well..... you've seen my comment above. Know that I always say it with a smile.

alec106

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///forum/thread/383558/future-predator-tank-need-suggestions-comments/20#post_3357595
Let's step back for a second.
Alec, your LFS is lying to you. Find a new store.
I went to not one, not two, but THREE different LFS and they all told me the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies
http:///forum/thread/383558/future-predator-tank-need-suggestions-comments/20#post_3357595
If this was MY tank....I would take out the panther grouper and just stick with the miniatus. Keep the SFE. Get ONE volitans lion, since you know that this is really the fish you said you were crazy about. So...get it! Work your stock list AROUND that fish....even if it means taking somethings back to the store. If you must have a trigger with your setup, you might get away with a blue throat trigger -- they're generally known to be more peaceful. I still would think twice about that choice, however....it may pick at your lion. Instead, perhaps you could consider getting an adult yellow tang (adult so it won't be seen as food for the grouper) or an adult hepatus tang.

And...that's it! I know that four fish (grouper, eel, lion, 1 tang) doesn't seem like much, but trust me -- these boys will get LARGE. Your tank will be in constant motion. And bringing your stock list down to this level will, of course, keep your nitrate from spiking. When you transition to the big tank, that is.
Thank you very much for the help. Its much appreciated.

mjm889

alec, i would be aware of local fish stores, some are really good, but others are in for the money and dont care about the fish, if you google about the fish you want, most sites will tell you your tank is too small or there is too many fish, it would be like you being locked up in a dog kennel 24/7, you might start to stress out after a while, i would stick with smaller fish on your list and not the groupers, good luck with your tank, hope all works out for you

triggerlion

Triggers and Lions, this depends on the Trigger and on the Lion, I have a Niger Trigger, very passive, before I added the Volitan, the Trigger was swimming with Damsels even... Had to move the Damsels though for the Lion

Not sure if your still on this site but lion fish sounds good the eel sound good the groupers ok and you could add a Niger crosshatch or blue chin trigger I would go with the smallest and most passive so as to not pick on the lion fish so I would choos a blue chin trigger male in I don't think I would add much after that now that being all the fish being full grown I'm Not sure on the puffer and on that size tank I wouldn't add a ray or shark you might be able to add a tang and I wouldn't keep the panther grouper in that tank I know you have it small but if I were you I would keep it there for a short time yes since it's small it will fit but it grows largest that

nathan120

keep in mind the bamboo shark or ( banded cat shark) grows somewhat quickly, that species normally gets around 2 1/2 ft in length, which is much to large for a 125gl.