We've moved to new platform. Passwords set before 24th July, 2014 will not work. Please reset your password, follow this link if help needed.
  1. Don't forget to check out this week's Forum Featured Product, and cast your VOTE for next week's Featured Product!

Fuzzy pink worm...

Discussion in 'Hitchhikers and "ID Please"' started by otherunderbrink, Jul 28, 2011.

1. otherunderbrink

otherunderbrink New Member

Found a newbie in our tank today. It is a fuzzy pink worm about 1/4 inch long with white hairs on the whole body. It looks alot like a stinging catapillar. Any ideas???
  2. slice

slice New Member

Yep, check out the bristle worms and fireworms on this page, scroll down, you'll find them
    http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhiker/hitchhiker.shtml
  3. 1guydude

1guydude Active Member

bristle worm! Most are good part of the CUC...they eat detiutis and such!
  4. otherunderbrink

Thanks Slice! I think it is a fire worm of some kind. Nasty little bugger... I will see if I can catch it.
  5. slice

slice New Member

Funny you ask this today, I saw one (the first) in my tank yesterday.
  6. otherunderbrink

Got 2 of them under 1 small rock I think they are fireworms of species of Linopherus???? Good? Bad? Definitely UGLY!!! Wife is posting pics. What do y'all think?
  7. underbrink1017

underbrink1017 New Member

8. otherunderbrink

The bigger of the 2 worms is about 1 1/4 inches long.
  9. bigarn

bigarn New Member

Bristleworms ... good members of the clean up crew. There's over 10,000 different species of them and very few are harmful.
  10. otherunderbrink

So I should put the little dudes back in the tank? Thanks for the info Bigarn!
  11. bigarn

bigarn New Member

Yep, put them back and let them do their job.
  12. slice

slice New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigarn
    Yep, put them back and let them do their job.
    +1
    Just don't touch it...
  13. otherunderbrink

They are back in the tank. As soon as they hit the sand they dug in and disappeared. Then, since my hands were already wet I rearranged the rockwork a little.
  14. gemmy

gemmy Active Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slice
    +1
    Just don't touch it...
    I accidentally handled one last night. Now, my finger is tingly and has blisters.
  15. otherunderbrink

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gemmy
    I accidentally handled one last night. Now, my finger is tingly and has blisters.
    Noted! Do not touch fuzzy worms!!!! Got it!
  16. slice

slice New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gemmy
    Bang Guy recently posted (what should be a sticky) to soak the affected area in vinegar to dissolve calcium based bristles and to use duct tape to remove silica based bristles.
  17. gemmy

gemmy Active Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slice
    Bang Guy recently posted (what should be a sticky) to soak the affected area in vinegar to dissolve calcium based bristles and to use duct tape to remove silica based bristles.
    Thanks! I tried that. I'm just really sensitive to them.