Help with how to set up new tank and transfer from old?

luvmyreef

Yes, unless your system can handle what you add. If it can, you will probably only see your nitrates go up some.

trotsky123

I just read the whole thread again - I did exactly as advised by Spanko and all.
But you guys never said anything about moving fish - one at a time or all.
I assumed I do the same as I would on a new tank - one at a time?
I moved my Nemo there last night so will see what happens - also got my cardinal and puffy.
Got gramma and wrasse (w/ blue stripes) left in the old - so will move both in there end of week?
Then wait for a while and start adding newbies

trotsky123

Yep, I read this all the time except I have no idea (YET) what that means - the QT process itself.
I have to investigate how where how long, etc

trotsky123

I have no idea if you are mocking me or what, but no, I meant QT in regards to adding new fish.
I never had such a big tank (yes it is big for me now), so didn't really worry about adding a fish into a smaller tank.
I did what Spanko advised and my new tank is all set up with everyone happy.

oceandude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotsky123 http:///t/389259/help-with-how-to-set-up-new-tank-and-transfer-from-old/20#post_3442100
I have no idea if you are mocking me or what, but no, I meant QT in regards to adding new fish.
I never had such a big tank (yes it is big for me now), so didn't really worry about adding a fish into a smaller tank.
I did what Spanko advised and my new tank is all set up with everyone happy.

Are you asking me if I am mocking you? If so...absolutely not...I want to help...

trotsky123

I do want honest answer. Read your answer to me about QT again - that's why I asked, that's all
Too many emotions = waste of time.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotsky123 http:///t/389259/help-with-how-to-set-up-new-tank-and-transfer-from-old/20#post_3441558
I just read the whole thread again - I did exactly as advised by Spanko and all.
But you guys never said anything about moving fish - one at a time or all.
I assumed I do the same as I would on a new tank - one at a time?
I moved my Nemo there last night so will see what happens - also got my cardinal and puffy.
Got gramma and wrasse (w/ blue stripes) left in the old - so will move both in there end of week?
Then wait for a while and start adding newbies
If you can keep the old tank running (not the usual situation on a move) then yes, add a couple of fish a week (acclimate them) to help the new tank adjust to the critters, that is the safest and best way. Then when you are ready to start adding new fish because you now have a bigger tank...then indeed use the QT. 4 weeks is how long I would Q each newbie. Everyone has their own way.

trotsky123

Thank you Flower
When you QT u basically keep them in a separate aquarium w/ filter, powerhead, light, right?
Also, if I'm buying a yellow tang - maybe 4 in, how big should be my QT tank?

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotsky123 http:///t/389259/help-with-how-to-set-up-new-tank-and-transfer-from-old/20#post_3442109
Thank you Flower
When you QT u basically keep them in a separate aquarium w/ filter, powerhead, light, right?
Also, if I'm buying a yellow tang - maybe 4 in, how big should be my QT tank?
Is the yellow tang for your 54 corner tank? I would recommend not putting any tang in a tank smaller than a 90. Also, a corner tank will not give the tang the length it needs to be happy. A great alternative might be a lemon peel angel. IMO, these fish are more beautiful than a yellow tang and more hospitable tank mates.

trotsky123

oh wow! thank you Gemmy
i had no idea - i like this fish
it's my family's demand - i must have pretty colorful fish

1guydude

LOL be careful man...u overstock ur sw aquarium and ull end up with either a lot of dead expensive fish or later down the road, ur tank will look like poo and youll have HA and other nuisances!
Ive moved two tanks now....and i just do it all in one day. Usually tanks about 6hrs if not longer lol.... i add all my fish and coral and everything right back in the new tank after im done too !

trotsky123

Well, my 5 fishes lived very happy for a while in a 35 gallox hex.
I think 54 gal corner can handle a few more :)
NEED HELP on feeding - I can only understand in respect to cubes that are sold in the store.
How much of the shrimp (let's say) should I feed my 5 fish - 1/2 cube, 1/4?
I am always worried that I over or under feed them

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotsky123 http:///t/389259/help-with-how-to-set-up-new-tank-and-transfer-from-old/20#post_3442252
Well, my 5 fishes lived very happy for a while in a 35 gallox hex.
I think 54 gal corner can handle a few more :)
NEED HELP on feeding - I can only understand in respect to cubes that are sold in the store.
How much of the shrimp (let's say) should I feed my 5 fish - 1/2 cube, 1/4?
I am always worried that I over or under feed them
I cube of mysis shrimp, rinse it by putting the cube in a fishnet and running water over it...I use tap to run over it until it's thawed, then RO water for the final rinse.
5 fish will eat a cube of food within minutes.
+1 on the lemonpeel angelfish...I LOVE mine. All of the dwarf angels are drop jaw beautiful, it's a pity only one can go in that size tank.