Help with how to set up new tank and transfer from old?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotsky123 http:///t/389259/help-with-how-to-set-up-new-tank-and-transfer-from-old/20#post_3442109
Thank you Flower
When you QT u basically keep them in a separate aquarium w/ filter, powerhead, light, right?
Also, if I'm buying a yellow tang - maybe 4 in, how big should be my QT tank?
I use a 20g for my QT, as always..the bigger the better, but it is just a QT...I haven't added any new fish in a while. Don't get the tang as already explained. Make sure you have a decoration or piece of PVC so the new critter can hide and feel secure. I would put the light on long enough to feed the fish and check for spots and problems then turn the lights off and just let the room lights or natural room brightness be the only ones...it will relieve stress.
Watch that ammonia and be ready for water changes by having water set and ready.

trotsky123

ONE CUBE!? Wow!
I always gave them half - I feel horrible now.
Btw, when thawing the iced food I was given advice long time ago to take water from the tank into a cup and throw the cube in there for it to melt.....
Also, you can only have 1 angel fish in the tank of this size, right?
Need to investigate on hippo tangs - my daughter wants a Dory :)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotsky123 http:///t/389259/help-with-how-to-set-up-new-tank-and-transfer-from-old/40#post_3442287
ONE CUBE!? Wow!
I always gave them half - I feel horrible now.
Btw, when thawing the iced food I was given advice long time ago to take water from the tank into a cup and throw the cube in there for it to melt.....
Also, you can only have 1 angel fish in the tank of this size, right?
Need to investigate on hippo tangs - my daughter wants a Dory :)
My 90g was too small for a hippo tang...I got a little one and wanted to remove it later. What a nightmare to remove that fish. It goes flat and can hide to the very last rock removed. The blue chromis are beautiful blue like the hippo and you can have 3 or 4, they school.
I have:
Orchid dottyback
Lemonpeel angelfish
Lawnmower blenny
2 Perc clownfish (Nemo)
I feed them 2 cubes and they eat every bit of it. Don't feel bad about the 1/2 cube, as long as a fish eat something they are fine. There is more to eat in a SW tank than just the food you feed, that's why you see them pick at the rocks all day.
1 cube should be just fine for them, you want them to have plenty to eat, it helps with health and growth, but not any extra to pollute the tank. I release the food and walk to the kitchen to rinse the net...by the time I come back to the tank all the food is gone. As an added plus a lemonpeel angelfish loves algae and will help keep the tank clean...even hair algae.