How fast do Zooanthids/Polyps grow?

timsedwards

Hi Guys,
Just doing some research on what to get as my first coral, and some of the specimins of Polyps/Zooanthids I have found look pretty small, how fast do they grow under good conditions? Also what additives would be recommended (other than calcium)?
Cheers!
Tim.

kpogue

They grow like weeds if you have good conditions. You really don't need to do anything special to them (at least I never have).

timsedwards

hey kipass,
What size tank do you have? Just I noticed you ahve a hippo/regal tang with a yellow tang. I have a yellow tang in my 75 and wanted a regal but was told mine was too small? What do you think?
Tim.

barracuda

Originally posted by timsedwards
ok what are peoples' thoughts on iodine?

Tim, there is no need to add extra iodine if you doing regular water changes, unless you want to add iodine and test for it.
Before you started wasting your money on all kind of additives, stop it!!! With all my respect to all companies like Seachem or Kent Marine, you don't actually need all their stuff. Do a water changes with good water (RO, RO/DI) and high grade salt (Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals, etc). Feed your reef animals and with your kind of lighting you will succeed.
Just remember what i've recommended to you. Understand what is PH - Alkalinity - Calcium are, how do they affect each other and there you go.
Good luck!

javajoe

Thoughts on Iodine...
I use Tech-I from kent- I put in a cap full or so about once a week. I stopped for about 2 months cuase i get really busy, and did not notice much of a change, so I can't really say that it helped or not. The only other thing besides water changes I do for my tank is to put in some kent super buffer dKh with coraline accelerator... and as you can see from the photos of my tank, things are doing pretty well.
I haven't been on here in a while, been really busy with my 11 month old dauhgter and my wife who is almost 3 months pregnant with our second child :)
As for polyps, they DO grow fast under the right conditions, but 'fast' is a relative concept. If you are expecting to see a big difference in a months time, that probably wont happen. Polpys are good corals to start with, lots of choices, lots of colors, same as with shrooms. However, I am a huge fan of different types of leather corals, as you can tell by the photos of my tank.
most leathers will cost you a bit more though than the polpys.... you should find someone in your area who would give you a few polpys just to place in various areas, or pick up some frags cheap at your LFS. Like someone else mentioned, once they get going, they do seem to grow like weeds! :)
Good luck-- this hobby is a blast!
Some photos...
Whole tank:

Right side:

Left Side:

These photos are from about 4-5 months ago-- I will TRY and start a thread later today once my lights go on with some photos from today-- LOTS of changes since these photos were taken... some of the corals in here are double in size now...

timsedwards

I use a high grade salt (Kent Marine's), so should i not add iodine?
Barracuda - when you say feed them, what do they feed on? What do leathers feed on?
Actually leathers and zooanthids are same price over here! I cant find frags anywhere as the hobby is very small here in UK and I dont know many people in my area who do it also.
Can anyone give me the name of a nice colourful polyps to order in from the LFS?
Thanks!
Tim.

javajoe

As for adding iodine- I guess it's one of those "preference things" I personally hav enot noticed a difference one way or the other with my tank when i forget to add it, so I can't tell you for sure.
As for feeding lethers and polyps- MOST are photosyntetic- they have a symbiotic algae that basically feeds them, so as long as your lighting is up to snuff, feeding is not much of an issue. However, most polyps will also eat food if you feed them-- mine will take shrimp when i feed the rest of the tank, as long as i make sure to feed my shrimp first-- they actually will rip open the polyps to eat their food! (they dont damage them by the way).
As for feeding leathers, most leathers are photsyntetic and dont eat, but giving them some DTs is not a bad idea.

justinx

Its difficult to tell what color to order, zoanthids are like a painting, there are just hundred of different varities.
In regards to some of the other comments made regarding buffers, I agree to the extent that for trace elements, yes the salt mixes will replensih them to levels that are sufficient for a reef tank. So things like iodine, etc shouldnt be added unless you are positive that there is a deireable outcome. As far as i can tell, there is not so i wouldnt bother.
However, for calcium, and alkalinity, i dont care what kind of salt you use, but you will not get the levels needed in a reef tank without using a buffer of some kind. I have used several brands of salt (all the major ones) and not a single one of them tests calcium over 300 when freshly mixed.
As far as zoanthids are concerned, they are not very demanding. as previousl stated, keep up regular water changes with some quality water and they will do very well. i have some that came on some LR that survived the cycle, so some species can be very hardy.
I did notice one thing in you signature though, you may want to bring you salinity level up to at least .023. Most people with corals keep salinity in the vincinity of .024 or .025
Justin

javajoe

oh-- colorful polyps....
Yellow polyps are nice- here are some of mine:

Green star polpys are nice and grw like crazy-- you can even get them to grow on your glass:
(pretty bad shot- color is off)

javajoe

i would also echo justins comment regarding the salinity-- i have found that not only your corals, but the coraline alge does a LOT better with a slightly higher salinity.

barracuda

as i mentioned, if you doing regular water changes - there is no need to add anything else than controlling Alk and Ca levels.
I don't feed my leathers. Add phytoplnkton as directed. You can directly feed you corals with brine shrimp, zooplankton. I feed my mushropms and LPS corals with pieces of cuttlefish or brine shrimp.
As for beginner i suggest to you:
1. Common toadstool (Sarcophyton sp.)
2. Green star polyps aka GSP (Pachyclavularia violacea)
3. Polyps (Palythoa, Protopalythoa or Zoanthus sp.) Note, that first 2 genus are somehow toxic and should be handeled with care (rubber gloves should be wear)
4. Mushrooms (Actinodiscus sp.)

timsedwards

Thanks guys for all your help,
Dont worry about the salinity I am raising that this evening, didnt intend on it being that low when corals are in there!
Yes i realise salt doesnt contain enough calcium, so I am going to keep levels at 400+ using Kents Liquid Calcium.
OK what is phytoplankton and how do I use it?
I will probably aim for whatever is up the lfs (Leather/shrooms/zooanthids).
Thanks for all your help,
Tim.

javajoe

IMO DTs is the best, as it is live plankton, but not always available at your LFS. I have to drive to rochester for it, no one stocks in here in Buffalo that I have found.
In a pinch, i use Kents phytoplex.