How Long can fish live in shipping bags?

dschulz

I recently ordered online. (Usually buy my fish from local stores) How long can my fish survive in the shipping package? For example, if Fedex delivers to my office tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. and I don't get home until 6:00 p.m. to begin acclimation, is this okay?
Otherwise, I do not know how to ever efficiently order on line - beings you never know when the fed ex guy is showing up. (Doubt my boss will buy the "have to go - gotta acclimate my fish"- story at any given time during the work day.)
Any feedback will be most appreciated!
Dana S

rvdfn420

I had orderd fish and I had gotten forced over to work over time at work, and they were fine, they were in the bag almost 24 hrs.

cowfishrule

i think you can get 48 hours max... absolute max... out of them
if your package comes at 2, i think you'll be fine if you finish the day

E

essop3

My Fedex guy never makes it before 4:30, usually later. So I am sure you'll be fine.

farslayer

I received my SWF shipment last Friday, but it was shipped on Tuesday! FedEx managed to freeze my fish or suffocate them as everything save for the shaving brush and arrow crab (who I defrosted) were DOA. SWF is replacing my order (awesome!) and I hope they tear into FedEx.

kiharaconn

I ordered two feather dusters that took a week to arrive. I took a battery operated air pump to work and put that in as soon as they arrived. One lived and is thriving. The other was alive when it arrived but sadly was eaten by a crab soon after I put it in the tank. So some fish are hardy and some are not. But to be safe get an air pump just in case you have to work really late. Better to be safe than sorry.