We've moved to new platform. Passwords set before 24th July, 2014 will not work. Please reset your password, follow this link if help needed.
  1. Don't forget to check out this week's Forum Featured Product, and cast your VOTE for next week's Featured Product!

How long can fish live in the bag?

Discussion in 'New Hobbyists' started by hiddenicon, Aug 6, 2004.

1. hiddenicon

hiddenicon New Member

i want to get a new fish tomorrow and it'll be about a 45 min trip for the fish so i wanted to know how long they can live in the bag?
  2. wocka

wocka New Member

im not sure but i remember hearing 48 hours
  3. hiddenicon

hiddenicon New Member

does anyone know if Wocka is right
  4. flatzboy

flatzboy New Member

I the fish will do fine for 45 minutes but don't let him sit in the car with air off because it could get to hot.
  5. zap800

zap800 New Member

well a pretty good lfs i go to said their small bags with pure o2 is good for 6 hrs and their big bags are good for 12hrs. i asked because this place is 2 hrs away from me so i didnt want to have any fish not make it.
  6. msd2

msd2 New Member

45min should be no problem as long as they use O2. If not make sure it is a very large bag to bring the fish home in. And someone made a good point, climate control em, a cooler (not cooled) would be ideal if your in a high temp area. You can also hit them up to see if the have insulated boxes that you could have to transport. I get them from work from blood samples and it keeps the animals temp amazingly stable.
  7. bang guy

bang guy Administrator Staff Member

I have shipped Clownfish without O2 and they were fine. Doesn't mean it was the best way but it worked.
  8. rbmount

rbmount New Member

When they are shipped from SWF.com they are in bags for almost 24 hrs.
  9. squidd

squidd New Member

When I clean the "skum" out of my tank, I put them in bags on a table...
    One time they tried "rolling" out a window...:eek:
    I think they were trying to escape before my niece came over...:yes:
    :hilarious