We've moved to new platform. Passwords set before 24th July, 2014 will not work. Please reset your password, follow this link if help needed.
  1. We want to see every clownfish out there! To enter for your chance to win $20 off your next Saltwaterfish.com purchase, post your picture in the Photography Forum *CONTEST ENDS TUESDAY AT MIDNIGHT EST*

how long does it take for sand to settle?

Discussion in 'New Hobbyists' started by patriot54, Dec 14, 2008.

  1. patriot54

    patriot54 New Member

    how long does it take for sand to settle? should I be using my powerhead while I wait for it to settle?
  2. t316

    t316 New Member

    Depends on size of tank, and what you did to make the sand be "unsettled".
    If this is a new setup, and you just dumped it in, then I'd say 4-5 days....
    And yes, I would run the ph's constantly, although I'm sure someone will chime in here saying otherwise on that one.
  3. mkzimms

    mkzimms New Member

    it can take a few hours up to a few days... just let it be, using the power head will just make it take longer. if you have nothing in the tank then i wouldn't worry about maintaining flow during this part. is this your first tank? if so, congratulations! pictures asap!
  4. patriot54

    patriot54 New Member

    Originally Posted by mkzimms

    it can take a few hours up to a few days... just let it be, using the power head will just make it take longer. if you have nothing in the tank then i wouldn't worry about maintaining flow during this part. is this your first tank? if so, congratulations! pictures asap!
    There is nothing in the tank. Would the water get bad if there is no flow? Yes, this is my first tank. I think I will have some pictures tomorrow.
  5. mkzimms

    mkzimms New Member

    if you have nothing in the tank, the water wont be affected by being stagnate for a little bit. if your worried at all, just put the power head in pointed at the water's surface breaking the surface to maintain gas exchange.
  6. culp

    culp New Member

    most of the sand should settle in a couple of hours. but some times the water will be cloudy for days. and yes you should have the power heads turned on. just have the power heads pointed towards the surface of the water not the sand.
  7. patriot54

    patriot54 New Member

    Originally Posted by mkzimms

    if you have nothing in the tank, the water wont be affected by being stagnate for a little bit. if your worried at all, just put the power head in pointed at the water's surface breaking the surface to maintain gas exchange.
    How long can I leave it stagnate for?
  8. mkzimms

    mkzimms New Member

    a day or two shouldn't hurt it... but once most of the sand has settled you should turn them back on.
  9. t316

    t316 New Member

    Originally Posted by Patriot54

    How long can I leave it stagnate for?
    IMO, never....run the things. Run the tank just as you would if you had it fully stocked....
  10. mkzimms

    mkzimms New Member

    i can see T is a little hesitant about this... so just to be clear, when i ask if you have nothing in it, i mean no rock or anything. just sand.
    if you have rock you should keep one running.
  11. patriot54

    patriot54 New Member

    Originally Posted by mkzimms

    i can see T is a little hesitant about this... so just to be clear, when i ask if you have nothing in it, i mean no rock or anything. just sand.
    if you have rock you should keep one running.
    I just have sand.
  12. aztec reef

    aztec reef New Member

    I say, keep running everything (ph's,filters,skimmers<ect).
    The reason water its cloudy its due to sand dust and not actual sand grains...
    Sand grains settle instantly due to gravity>. the cloudyness its dust from disturbance or recent addition of sand.......
    Just keep running everything, the dust will settle eventually. Also if u have a hob filter.. it helps to run carbon.
    If not, dont sweat it. it will settle eventually.(just make sure theres no future sandstorms)
    IMO< Having powerheads Off, Will only delay the water crystalization/respiration.... I obviously Needn't mention whats going to happend once u turn the ph's back ON..
  13. aztec reef

    aztec reef New Member

    Originally Posted by T316

    IMO, never....run the things. Run the tank just as you would if you had it fully stocked....
    My name is Aztec and i approve this comment.
  14. aztec reef

    aztec reef New Member

    Originally Posted by mkzimms

    i can see T is a little hesitant about this... so just to be clear, when i ask if you have nothing in it, i mean no rock or anything. just sand.
    if you have rock you should keep one running.
    Rock or no rock...Thats irrelavent to a tank that hasn't been cycled yet.
  15. patriot54

    patriot54 New Member

    Its all settled now. I was just wondering if I should siphon out some of the dust that settled?
  16. patriot54

    patriot54 New Member

    And how can I get some of the dust off that settled on the glass around the top of the water off?
  17. aztec reef

    aztec reef New Member

    Originally Posted by Patriot54

    Its all settled now. I was just wondering if I should siphon out some of the dust that settled?
    can u siphon it out without sucking sand? If u can , go ahead...
  18. aztec reef

    aztec reef New Member

    Originally Posted by Patriot54

    And how can I get some of the dust off that settled on the glass around the top of the water off?
    scrub it with a sponge or something. that will suspend the dust into the water column, so that it can be filtered and extracted at the surface.
    No big deal: Its just dust particles.. CUC will erradicate that stuff..
    Its time to move to bigger worries, Cycling tank...

Share This Page