How long does my anemone need light?

S

sara_y

Well... I bought my new bubble tip anemone..... not knowing what I was getting myself into. ACTUALLY, I took over a 55g saltwater tank, and THEN bought an anemone, thinking it would be cool, not knowing what the heck i was getting myself into.. and now i need all the help i can to keep everything alive. Especially my bta!!
Ok.... i know it needs lots of light... (so everyone says).... but no one is saying for how long?? Can i turn off the lights @ night? Seems like when i do, it starts to closed down and im afraid i might be slowly killing it.... soooo....help.
sara.

meleerock

Unless you have Metal Halide or maybe T5 lighting the anemone wont stay healthy in the long run. I would keep the lights on for around 12 hours a day and 12 hours off. The anemone will inflate and deflate randomly. When they deflate for a long period (days) is when you know there is a problem with it.
Good Luck and welcome to the board!

Bryan

dawman

You don`t need metal halide or T-5 lighting for bulb tip anemones to thrive in the tank . Actually most BTAs don`t like the extreme light from those lights and hide under rockwork . Here is a very useful website that will help you understand more about the anemone . I hope you don`t have standard flourescent lights and at least have a good power compact light . www.karensroseanemones.com
I run my lights in my tanks for 10-12 hours a day .

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Dawman
You don`t need metal halide or T-5 lighting for bulb tip anemones to thrive in the tank . Actually most BTAs don`t like the extreme light from those lights and hide under rockwork . Here is a very useful website that will help you understand more about the anemone . I hope you don`t have standard flourescent lights and at least have a good power compact light . www.karensroseanemones.com
DITTO ^^^^ I have a Rose BTA under std PC's of a BioCube.. its doing very well. There are some anenomes that require more intense lighting than others but some like the Floridia Condi can go on for a while with no light at all. They can be found in depths of up to 18' below the surface, not much light down that far. Good luck

rudedog40

So a bubble tip won't live under a standard flourescent? Even if you have one of the HO high intensity bulbs? That means if I just want one BT anemone (no coral, no SPS, etc.) that costs around $30, I have to go out and spend $150 - $250 for a light to keep it alive? Now that makes sense.
I would think there would be some form of anemone that doesn't require that bright of light to survive. I've been diving numerous times in Florida and the Caymans, and I recall seeing several varieties of anemones in depth of 30 to 50 feet. I know the light's not that bright down there.

dawman

Originally Posted by rudedog40
So a bubble tip won't live under a standard flourescent? Even if you have one of the HO high intensity bulbs? That means if I just want one BT anemone (no coral, no SPS, etc.) that costs around $30, I have to go out and spend $150 - $250 for a light to keep it alive? Now that makes sense.
I would think there would be some form of anemone that doesn't require that bright of light to survive. I've been diving numerous times in Florida and the Caymans, and I recall seeing several varieties of anemones in depth of 30 to 50 feet. I know the light's not that bright down there.

There are many common and pest anemones that will survive with standard lights . But these are not hosting anemones like BTAs , LTAs , and carpets .

perfectdark

Originally Posted by rudedog40

Their has to be some sort of photosyntheic capabilities of your bulbs to sustain the health of an anenome for a long period of time. The minimum is about 3 to 4 watts per gal of Std 10k PC's. IMO. Your statment about seeing anenomes at deep depths is true but they have the ability to move to where the light is to get what they need when they need it. Its not something that all anenomes need all the time but they do need it, and its very important to have it there for them.

S

sara_y

Originally Posted by Dawman

Thanks for the site!! It was actually the best site I've been on after finding this one!!

awesker

Yes, I have only had my bta for two weeks but I can validate what DAWMAN is saying about extreme lighting. I have PCs and the bta has picked a suspended spot where it can seemingly select the amount of light it wants.
Also DAWMAN, thanks for the site. Incredible information on anemones. Thanks!