how much live rock for a 75 gallon

swfishonly

i want some live rock for my tank and i wanted to know if anybody knows how many pounds i should get and how much do you think that would be
Thankz

oceana

we have rock up about 3/4 of the way up the tank and my guess is about 130 pounds
must people say about 1-2 pounds per gallon.
price should be from 2.99 up to 5.99 depending on your LFS

jsb

Originally Posted by swfishonly
i was thinking of ordering it from this website cause my lfs sells it $8 a pound

:eek: You've got to be kidding! Did you ask them if they sell any?
I thought 5.99 a # was high at my LFS.
Another method which I used was to buy a mix. I bought some LR, and some dried LR. I filled up a 5 gallon bucket of dried LR, and used the other to seed it. It helped with cost, and turned out nice.

feixjai

my lfs owner suggested that i get one pound of live rock for every one gallon. are you kidding me? 8 dollars a pound. wow thats weird. my lfs only sells it for 3.50 a pound.

vanos

Always buy liverock online. It's much cheaper even though you have to pay for shipping. Some specialty stores sell it but it's expensive even though it's already cured. Get 75lbs. of liverock. Some online stores sell 45lb boxes and 22 lb boxes. You'll end up paying about $220-$250 total.

jer4916

Originally Posted by oceana
we have rock up about 3/4 of the way up the tank and my guess is about 130 pounds
must people say about 1-2 pounds per gallon.
price should be from 2.99 up to 5.99 depending on your LFS

i want that priced live rock! i paid $8.50 per pound here and i got HOOKED up.
but look at the kind of rock i got :
also keep in mind my guy is private and he qt'd the rocks and did stuff to them so i wouldn't have hitch hickers...etc just lots and lots of little pods :)

oceana

prices for the rock are gooda round us in florida. high is about 5.99 a pound for fiji or tonga.
mine is almost all fiji with some raondom peices and also some of the rock we make right here at home.
its a bit different then this pic now but close. we have alot more corals now and i sold the anemone. the pic is to show the rocks and they are the same

jer4916

your rock work is beautiful!
Anyone think im out of my mind when i say this ...but ...since im paying so much $8-$12 per pound here...i might as well just fly somewhere and get the rock myself and come home?
might as well get a trip out of it...

madmax50

I bought mine from this site. was very happy with it.Nice and clean.Within a day things are starting to sprout.My next batch i will order from here also.

sillynecco

Has anyone bought live rock from here? i know they have pretty good prices, but i have never heard of any who has actually bought it from here. im looking to get about 90lbs of fiji and 45 lbs of florida from this site in the next month. im setting up a new 75 gal tank, and im new to sw, so i was just tryin to feel it out.

jer4916

Originally Posted by sillynecco
Has anyone bought live rock from here? i know they have pretty good prices, but i have never heard of any who has actually bought it from here. im looking to get about 90lbs of fiji and 45 lbs of florida from this site in the next month. im setting up a new 75 gal tank, and im new to sw, so i was just tryin to feel it out.
fiji is good rock, but its really heavy...and you really doing need all the extra weight, i would suggest getting something more pouris and lighter myself...i have only 100 pounds of tonga rock in my tang...and well it looks almost full! :) ...would have taken around 200 pounds of fiji...and honestly i like the way mine looks better...
~chris

swfishonly

can you mix diff. lr like fiji and florida or just stick with one because i was thinking of getting a lil of each and how do you add it to your tank just drop it in or there is a special way

jer4916

yes you can! :) ...go nuts!
where are you from?..i know a guy with AMAZING rock
heres a picture of my tank with the rock stuff is FULL of life

sillynecco

where is a good place to buy tonga rock, this site only offers fiji and florida live rock.
and where is a place to get dried rock?
just curious