How to catch vandals?

chilwil84

had some kids drive a truck through my fence and do doughnuts in my front yard the night before i got my co. i got a camera from

[hr]
sporting goods for that deer hunters use for about a hundred bucks. filmed them doing a fishtail in my driveway. went by there house and showed them the footage and told them i knew they smashed my fence after i got a good look ar there truck. they paid the insurance deductable and wave when they drive by now.

aw2x3

Instead of an airsoft gun and just scaring them, I'd go to walmart and pick up a cheapy $40 paintball gun.

snakeblitz33

Originally Posted by AW2x3
http:///forum/post/3152399
Instead of an airsoft gun and just scaring them, I'd go to walmart and pick up a cheapy $40 paintball gun.

Don't just get security cameras for proof - install motion sensor lighting around your house, and always leave your porch light on. Put a light on each side of your house, and even in your back yard. Vandals who act at night hate being seen - and try to avoid light. If you have an open garage - keep your light on at night as well. Call the police department and have them scan the area at night - remember, they are supposed to work for YOU. Make them earn their tax dollars.
You could go a step further - install a motion sensing sprinkler system in your yard. It has a nighttime setting - so it will only motion sense at night. This system is great for not only burglers - but also for any pesky deer in your yard.
Also - I know it's kinda cheating, but go to a security place - Brinks or somewhere and ask them for one of their security signs to put in your yard. "This home is protected by Brinks Security." It makes vandals more nervous about a B&E or vandalism - even if you don't have a security system.
Also - if security of your home is an issue - consider planting a prickly bush in front of all your windows and put a gate around your house. Along with your motion sensing lights, you can have a motion sensing dog alarm... when it senses motion, a vicious dog will bark. It's cheap - but effective.
Never leave any valuables in your car or truck overnight - not even tools. Of course, I hope you would know this.
Good luck!

ironeagle2006

Also if you use the Paintball gun Freeze the AMMO during the day then when fired it will 2 things leave one HELL of a welt on them and also mark them with paint. How do I know this called I did play paintball and everynow and then when I was mad I would freeze my rounds. Ever seen a guy try to run away after taking 2 rounds to the crotch that were FROZEN lets just say he was begging for MOMMY by the time my team was thru with him. IIRC we were playing out of ammo you lost well he won however he quit before taking the victory.

snakeblitz33

Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
http:///forum/post/3152482
Also if you use the Paintball gun Freeze the AMMO during the day then when fired it will 2 things leave one HELL of a welt on them and also mark them with paint. How do I know this called I did play paintball and everynow and then when I was mad I would freeze my rounds. Ever seen a guy try to run away after taking 2 rounds to the crotch that were FROZEN lets just say he was begging for MOMMY by the time my team was thru with him. IIRC we were playing out of ammo you lost well he won however he quit before taking the victory.
The absolute last thing you want to do is hurt a minor or even another adult. What if the vandal has a knife or a real gun? What are you going to do then? What if you shoot the wrong person? What if that person files a law suite against you for hurting them? The last thing you want to do is hurt someone - you will probably end up in court.
Sorry guys (and gals?) but IMHO, I feel like you are giving him bad advice. ironeagle, it's ok to play games like that with your friends and go out for a beer later - but we are talking the real world...

reefraff

I love the motion detector sprinkler system. A dog or cat goes to take a dump in your yard and gets a shower

My yard is mostly xeriscaped but I might have to look at that.

scsinet

Seems to me the ideal solution of catching them would be a wildlife camera. They are motion activated and weatherproof, and they use infrared so they don't frighten the animals away.

meowzer

ANGLER....I recieved my camera and monitor yesterday...hooked it up...day pics are great...night...not so good, but I think we have to make a few adjustments....it does not come with a cord to hook up to vcr...we bought one last night, but the Cowboys are on...lol....so maybe we'll hook that up later
BUT for $44 it's worth it so far...even if I just watch and listen....
p.s. I forgot to mention...it has a place for 2 cameras....I called the main company to see how to get a 2nd camera since Sportman does not sell them....With 2 cameras, I can place one in a better spot for lighting at night

ironeagle2006

Most states EVEN my Liberal LOVER land in IL allow you to defend your property with less than lethal force. An aerosoft can do more damage than a paintball gun with the right ammo. What do the cops themselves use to dispense pepperball ammo Paintguns. Now yes what we did was not exactly legal however even the range owner said we were fine with IL law. So what to do with this case either sprinklers which they will destroy or cameras which they will destroy or hit them with something that tells them hey leave my house and my neighbors houses alone or your marked with paint and have a bruise the size of a fist on your chest.

angler man

Man, I wish all of you guys lived in my neighborhood, these kids would be strung up half n@ked in a homo-erotic position by sun up with lots of incriminating pictures.
I do love the motion detecting sprinklers, anyway I can buy moose urine in bulk and pump that out instead?