How to Cure Frayed Fins

neutronics

My regal angel has been having frayed fins for three weeks now.
He's been eating well, no white spots and acting normally. But he's still having frayed fins with little progress of healing.
My question...
is there any way I can help speed up the healing process of frayed fins? Is this a bacterial/viral infection in which treatment rely only on the immune system?
Will water change, additional stress coat, garlic soaked food help in curing frayed fins?

jdl/dayton

I am not a big one for medications. One item available that works well at helping fish heal is Melafix. Not a antibiotic and works well at aiding in healing.
The question is who is shredding those fins?

neutronics

no one is shredding those fins. I think it bacterial fin rot where the edges of the fins of the regal angel appear jagged. I hope this don't prove fatal as it seems to heal VERY SLOWLY over time :)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Define "frayed" for us. Are the fins raggedy, split, even stringy? Or do they look more like they have been bitten off? What else do you have in the tank? Have you noticed any aggression? Which fin[strike] are effected? How long have you had the fish?
Give some more info about the problem? Also, take a very good look at your fish [using a magnifying glass if possible] to see if you see anything at all that might be off. Like swollen or red gills, marks on the skin, discoloration, etc.[/strike]

neutronics

Beth, the ragged fins are on the regal angel's yellow tail fin and the two side fins. Frayed fins as in havinG continuous zig-zag outline only on the EDGES of these fins (no deep splitting though). No white spots, no discolouration. Fish eating well and swimming well although fin restoration seems slow and this slow recovery is what that is worrying me. He is the only fish in the 75 gallon right now.
Is fin rot only caused by bacteria (excluding those ripped off by tankmates)? Should I be alarmed at this or just wait for it to recover over time without doing anything since it is eating well?
I've had the regal angel for six months.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm trying to determine if it is a bacterial infection or aggression.
How long have you had the fish, and under what cicumstances did this condition begin?
Have you noticed aggression?
What are you feeding the fish?

neutronics

The regal angel's been with me for about 6 months now. He has been in hypo treatment five weeks ago (due to ick) and has recovered two week ago.
During the ick outbreak that I had five weeks ago, the frayed fins begin to appear with the ick. But the ick dissapear, although the frayed fins stays. He's no longer in hypo solution now and I'm feeding him spirulina based flakes and pellets (he won't take any live foods at all).
There was no aggression on him that could result in the frayed fins.
I hope I will not lose this fish as I know it is one of the harder ones to keep and my one of my fav too :(
I'm guessing this is due to bacterial action as he is the only resident of the tank right now. Should I take any actions at all if this is a bacterial infection?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I would not jump to the conclusion that it is a bacterial infection at this point. You really need to improve nutrition for this fish. Get SeaWeed Selects, or, if you can't immediate find any, then get some Nori at the Oriental food section at the grocery store. Also get some Zoe or Zoecon. Did you garlic soak the fish's food? Do this alternately, every other day, using the Zoe or Zoecon and the garlic soaked food.