How to Cure Saltwater Ich

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry http:///t/394389/how-to-cure-saltwater-ich/40#post_3520907
Flower, when my temps hit 82, my fish are stressed. All fish don't come from the same area and all areas don't have the same temperature. So, if someone's fish was used to 78, either because they were just removed from the ocean at that temp or have been acclimated over time, they are going to get stressed when you put it up to 82. If they had a little bit of Ich, that could "bring it on" or make it worse. Not all stress is visible either, so I can't assume because I don't see it, it's not there.
I also agree with QT, but I had a pair of lions that were in a QT tank for over a year (they didn't grow as fast as I wanted them to). No Ich. Then I moved them to a new tank with new tankmates and BOOM! Ok, baby BOOM, as there were only a few spots. But unless you treat with a proven cure, QT doesn't prevent you bringing Ich into your tank. It reduces your odds, but it doesn't prevent it.
Garlic is great, keep it up, but they have proven that it needs to be high doses, like 30% of the fishes diet, to combat Ich.
Thanks for explaining things a bit better. I was actually just saying why some folks say turn up the heat, that it isn't the ich the temp affects, but the stress level of the fish. + 100 on the amount of garlic to help...my tank smelled bad, but the fish were happy. Oh and I used fresh garlic juices, I don't think the stuff they sell in bottles at the fish store is of any use at all.
If we do our homework right, we should know what temps our fish are meant to be in, and it could help with their ability to ease stress. My Hippo liked 82, and he was so tiny. Tiny Hippo tangs are not very hardy, it was a give away from an on-line store where I ordered fish. He grew to be 5.5 inches before the disastrous 4 day black out that killed him...it was the only fish I ever cried over losing.
I'm glad I don't have to add fish very often in my tanks...nor new live rock, because you never know what you are getting that you don't see.
I'm glad to see you posting again. it's been a while. I missed you.

chaosfyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry http:///t/394389/how-to-cure-saltwater-ich/40#post_3520682
They are both kindda true. Outside a certain range, the tomonts will not release the tomites. When the salinity is brought back within an acceptable range, the tomites will be released. Below a certain percentage (1.008), the tomonts will rupture, releasing their endoplasm. Note I said the tomonts will rupture, that not a typo. Now, if they manage to be in clusters, they are more impervious to hypo treatment, even below 1.008.
Treatments for ectoparasites and disease in captive Western Australian dhufish. Aquaculture International
8: 349-361, 2000.
Could you remind what I was going to find journals on? I kinnda can't remember :
You're right-- they're both true. I had scraped together some information about it... Its in the thread somewhere. I think I need to post a recap of the findings.

chaosfyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry http:///t/394389/how-to-cure-saltwater-ich/40#post_3520890
We have to remember there are strains, so the optimal temperature will not be the same across the board. I will post other references as I come across them. This is an older study but raw data is raw data and doesn't go out of date. The optimal temperature was actually 86! Second runner up was 77. They stopped altogether at 98.6. 68 degrees still allowed for 40% to be released!
People like to say ****** is not affected by temperature, but it's easy to see they are. Just not any of the temperatures that would have desirable affects are within the tolerance range of our fish.
Cheung, J. P., Nigrelli, R. F., & Ruggieri, G.D. (1979) Studies of cryptocaryonias in marine fish: effect of temperature and salinity on the reproductive cycle of Cryptocaryon irritans. Journal of Fish Disease vol 2 (93-97)
Is that the same article I later posted? I had managed to find some information about the temperature. I found an article by a PhD and decided later (after the post of mine you quoted) that its not feasible to kill ich with high temperatures without killing/stressing the fish. I think the temp I quoted was also close to 86.
Again, I'm thinking its time for a recap/final draft since so much information came to light, lol :)

chaosfyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/394389/how-to-cure-saltwater-ich/40#post_3520904
Just chiming in, and I haven't read the entire thread... I wanted to comment about the temps. Years ago in my 90g mini reef, I had a little tiny Hippo tang that stayed ich infected, I didn't have a QT large enough to house all of my fish...so a fishless tank was not doable. The other fish seemed able to resist getting infected too bad, but the little Hippo would break out at the drop of a hat and it would all start again. I upped the temps to 82. The temp didn't really do anything to the ich, but it made my Hippo happy and healthier. I also got a cleaner shrimp that like to pick the ich out of the fish' gills, and added fresh garlic juice to the food.
I figured it went this way...We have tropical fish, and we lower the temps to try and control the bacteria and algae growth. An unhappy fish is a stressed fish, and a stressed fish will succumb to the parasite. I gave up adding any new fish, but was determined to keep those I had very healthy and stress free. The higher temps, along with the cleaner shrimp and garlic laced food, worked to keep the whole system going.
Fast forward 1.5 years, I had to move, and a move is supper stressful for critters. To my amazement not a single spot emerged, not even on the stress prone Hippo tang. I never had another break out of the parasite since, and that mini reef was going 5 years before I changed up to a Potbelly seahorse tank. Now I tell everyone to quarantine their fish and save themselves the headache.
I don't think the higher temps does anything to the ich, but it helps the fish resist getting infected and overcome by it.
If you hadn't added any fish during that 1.5 years, sources say the all the ich in your tank would have died by that time. That would probably be why, after being stressed, they did not break out.

chaosfyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry http:///t/394389/how-to-cure-saltwater-ich/40#post_3520907
Flower, when my temps hit 82, my fish are stressed. All fish don't come from the same area and all areas don't have the same temperature. So, if someone's fish was used to 78, either because they were just removed from the ocean at that temp or have been acclimated over time, they are going to get stressed when you put it up to 82. If they had a little bit of Ich, that could "bring it on" or make it worse. Not all stress is visible either, so I can't assume because I don't see it, it's not there.
I also agree with QT, but I had a pair of lions that were in a QT tank for over a year (they didn't grow as fast as I wanted them to). No Ich. Then I moved them to a new tank with new tankmates and BOOM! Ok, baby BOOM, as there were only a few spots. But unless you treat with a proven cure, QT doesn't prevent you bringing Ich into your tank. It reduces your odds, but it doesn't prevent it.
Garlic is great, keep it up, but they have proven that it needs to be high doses, like 30% of the fishes diet, to combat Ich.
There's the possibility that the ich was in your tank the entire time, and when you moved the lions over they caught it. Ich is not always visible. Only when the fish is more stressed than usual does it manage to break through the body's mucus layer and show up as visible spots. Otherwise, it lives on the fish hidden, in the gills mostly. If you perform skin scrapings or gill clippings you will find that the ich is still there. Other signs of ich are if the fish scratch against rocks or have slightly discolored brownish spots on the body. Thats why, when you think the fish have been ich free for months, then all of a sudden you see spots, its not that the ich just appeared, but rather, it was there the whole time.
On the flip side, simple quarantine will not cure your fish of ich, nor will you necessarily see it during quarantine, even if its there. Quarantine with hyposalinity however, should kill the ich within 6 weeks.
I'm going to assume the same is true with garlic. As far as I've heard, garlic is an immune booster and doesn't kill the ich itself. Again, just because you don't see the ich doesn't mean its there. Garlic is a different topic than Hyposalinity, but I would welcome any scholarly articles regarding garlic and its effect on Ich.

chaosfyre

Okie dokie, I have compiled a second draft/recap of all the information we've gathered up on this forum about treating ich with hyposalinity. I tried to use only quotes from legitimate sources, with links where possible. If everyone who has been following along would please review this for me and make suggestions for changes or additions, that would be great!
The method I have used to successfully treat infected fish was to put them in a quarantine tank with a filter, an air-stone to prevent bacteria growth and reintroduce oxygen into the water, a tank heater, and salt water. The equipment is mostly low-cost, and you probably have it lying around already. If not, check craigslist!

Fill the tank with salt-water at 1.009 salinity. Put your fish in. You can acclimate him if you like. Lowering the salinity will not harm the fish, though raising it quickly might. Lower salinity is actually stress-reducing (see scholarly articles later in the paragraph).

Leave your fish in QT for 6 weeks. At the end of that time, if he is completely ich-free, slowly begin raising the salinity so that at the end of the 6th week it matches that of your display tank. You can do this over a period of 3 days (though I performed normal acclimation on mine within an hour with no ill effects). Then acclimate him to your display, and release him!
However, if at the end of 6 weeks in the QT, he still shows signs of ich, leave him in the QT for up to 10 weeks and be patient. The parasite will eventually cycle through its life stages and drop off, and it will die off in its free-swimming form because of the low-salinity.

Your fish has a better chance at full recovery if you nip the ich in the bud! Examine your fish every day for signs of infection or abnormal behavior (itching on rocks, faint brownish spots), especially if you've added a new fish or if your water quality has not been up to par lately. Also, you can keep the Quarantine tank at hyposalinity and treat all of your incoming fish for ich whether its visible or not. Inverts and corals and non-bony fish are sensitive to hyposalinity, so this is a bony fish only treatment-- no live rock either, and no sand/live sand.

Here is my video demonstrating bacterial susceptibility to environmental salinity changes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLPOnhnbSic

Here is an article explaining how hyposalinity works to lyse the ich (There are more scholarly articles regarding which life stage is affected by hyposalinity further in the passage but this is a great general explanation):

About Hyposalinity or Osmotic Shock Therapy

A Simple, Effective, Non-Chemical Treatment for Ich

By Stan & Debbie Hauter
/span>What is hyposalinity?
Hypo means "lower than normal", and saline/salinity "of or containing salt", therefore hyposalinity in the simpliest of terms is a lower amount of salt contained in seawater than normal. With the salinity level of oceans and seas around the world averaging out at around 1.024 (specific gravity), although lowering the amount of salt in water by a few points might be called hyposalinity, when it comes to saltwater aquariums this means bringing the salt content down to a range of 1.013 to 1.010 (specific gravity) to be effective and truly considered as such.
How does hyposalinity effect ich and other marine organisms?

All marine creatures require freshwater just as we do to survive, they just process it differently. Since their bodies are less salty than the water surrounding them, to prevent the loss of needed freshwater they take in seawater, process it to eliminate the salt molecules, and then retain the freshwater to maintain a balance with nature. When the salinity of seawater is lowered, or hyposalinity is applied, it results in a lowering of the osmotic pressure of the water at the same time, thus the related name Osmotic Shock Therapy (OST). Fish and a few other sea creatures can withstand and adjust to this change in pressure, but protozoan (Cryptocaryon/White Spot Disease, and Brooklynella/Clownfish Disease), dinoflagellate (Oodinium/Velvet or Coral Fish Disease), and flat worm (Black Spot Disease) ich organisms cannot. Reduce this necessary pressure, particularly rapidly, and they literally explode! Although delicate corals and invertebrates may not immediately rupture as ich parasites do, these too are marine animals that cannot tolerate exposure to low osmotic pressure, resulting in a rather quick death.

When is hyposalinity most effective on ich?

Hyposalinity is largely ineffective on mature ich parasites that are well protected in the gills surrounded by thick mucus produced by an infected fish, when embedded deep in the tissues of their host, and during the final encrusted cyst stage of life. It is primarily during the free-swimming phase of life when newborn organisms are released from a mature cyst, and before they have the chance to fully attach and develop into mature parasites that they are most vulnerable and can be eliminated with hyposalinity.When can this method of treatment be used?
Applying hyposalinity or osmotic shock therapy to treat ich problems is a personal choice decision one has to make, but here are many of the ways it can be used.

• For a QT

• While treating fish in a QT, lowering the salinity can help prevent newborn ich organisms that might be released from mature cysts from reinfecting the fish during the quarantine period.

• As a preventative measure, when new fish are brought home and placed in a QT for several weeks of observation before introducing them into the main aquarium.

For Fish-Only Tanks

• (Note: Under the following situations it is recommended to at least remove and give all exposed fish a freshwater dip, preferably in combination with at least a one time appropriate medication treatment before placing the fish back into the main aquarium, at which point the salinity is lowered for 3 to 4 weeks.)When a QT is not available, or the choice is made not to treat ich infected fish in one.When one does not want to leave their aquarium empty with no fish to look at for month.
    When there is concern or one wants to lessen the possibility of reinfestation occurring after the fish have been treated in a QT and returned to the main aquarium.
    When reinfestation does occur after the fish have been treated and returned to the main aquarium.
41);">

• For Reef Tanks

• Hyposalinity should NEVER be used in a reef system, as it will kill corals and all types of delicate invertebrates. Since most people in all likelihood will not want to disturb these animals, not to mention have to hassle with removing them and set up another tank to put them in, the easiest thing to do for a reef tank is to leave it devoid of all fish for at least 4 weeks and allow the ich to run its life cycle and die off.

After some research, I managed to find an article by a PhD confirming that the higher temp does speed up the cycle of marine ich, but does not kill them (unless you want to use 90-100 degrees, which also will kill fish). If you raise your QT temp to 80-85 degrees to speed up the ich cycle into dropping off, make sure you use an airstone to restore oxygen into the water. I wouldn't recommend shortening the QT time even if you use a higher temp (though some sources say 4 weeks is sufficient QT time).
About Ich's life cycle:
ily: calibri;">---In the Trophont cyst stage where the adult parasite is attached to a fish and feeding on it the time frame is 3 to 7 days. (These are the white spots on the fish, or it can be hidden in the gills and completely invisible).
---In the Trophont free swimming stage where the parasite has fallen off the fish, it looks for a place to attach its self. This stage can take up to 18hrs.
---In the Tomont stage where the parasite goes into reproductive mode while it is attached to something (like a rock) the time frame is 3 to 28 days.
---In the Theront stage where the newly hatched parasite is fee swimming and looking for a host the time frame is 24 to 48 hrs.
If we add the longest time frames of the four stages, we come up with approximately five weeks. Add one week for a margin of error and you get the reason for six weeks of quarantine.
"There are conflicting reports as to which part of the cycle at which hyposalinity kills the ich. Some say it will cause the Theront (free swimming/infective) stage to rupture, killing it. Some say it causes problems in the Tomont (encysted/reproductive) stage. Tomonts need a higher osmotic pressure to finish the reproductive cycle; at a specific gravity of 1.009 they cannot complete their part of the cycle. They die, never to emerge. Whichever the case, hyposalinity works." <-- Regarding this statement, I found that hyposalinity ruptures the trophont cysts that are on the fish (the white spots) releasing most of the swimming form of trophonts into the water. Hyposalinity also then prevents the next stage, the tomont stage, from reproducing.

/>
"There may be some concern that hyposaline conditions could be stressful to marine teleost fish, or otherwise potentially harmful. While this is true in extreme salinities, studies indicate that this is not the case in more moderate salinities that would be employed in hyposalinity therapy (Wu & Woo, 1983. Woo & Chung, 1995. McDonald & Grosell, 2006).

Natural Sea Water is much more saline than the internal fluids of marine fish. Because of this, they expend a considerable amount of energy to reduce the excessive salt load through the process of osmoregulation. The kidneys are not the primary site of electrolyte management in marine teleost fish (Stoskopf, 1993). Chloride cells in the gills excrete excess chloride and sodium. “The kidneys of marine fish do play a role in electrolyte excretion; however, there function is more important in the balance of magnesium and sulfate levels and not, as might be assumed, in sodium and chloride elimination” (Stoskopf, 1993)."

span id="yui_3_7_2_1_1368593342156_6931">"Acclimation and alleviating the effects of stress
The effects of stress caused by capture, transport and handling is a major concern when acclimating fish, especially when they have been bagged for a prolonged period. Stress affects fish in two ways: it produces effects that disrupt or threaten homoestatic equilibrium and it induces adaptive behavioral and physiological responses (Wendelaar Bonga,1997). Osmoregulatory dysfunction is closely associated with stress in fish. This is recognized by an increase in osmolarity in saltwater species (Carmicheal et. al, 1984. Robertson et. al, 1988.). This can manifest in the loss of up to ten percent of body weight due to dehydration in one or two days (Sleet & Weber, 1982.). Reducing the salinity gradient between the water and the internal fluids of fish is effective in counteracting osmoregulatory dysfunction and other physiological responses to stress (Johnson & Metcalf, 1982. McDonald & Milligan, 1997.) With marine teleost species, this is accomplished by reducing the salinity of their environment.

Quickly acclimating recently transported, or otherwise stressed marine teleost fish to low salinity water will help them to recover normal homeostasis more rapidly. Marine fish are most sensitive to changes in temperature and pH during the acclimation period. Match these parameters in the quarantine tank closely to the shipment water, provided they are not at levels that are dangerous to the fish. Then the pH and temperature can be adjusted slowly over a couple of days to match the display aquarium."

1368593342156_6945" style="margin-bottom: 1em; font-family: tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12.727272033691406px; background-color: transparent; line-height: 1.75em;">"Quarantine
Placing fish in hyposaline conditions during the quarantine period is a proactive approach to dealing with some types of external parasites. Rather than waiting for fish to exhibit signs of infection, why not be one step ahead? This can save time, improve an animals odds of survival and help protect the established livestock in the display aquarium. Hyposalinity therapy is an excellent treatment for Cryptocaryon irritans (saltwater ich). It can also be effective against some other types of parasites such as the Monogenetic trematode Neobenedenia melleni."

Also,

1.75em;">"Hyposalinity can be employed in better acclimating recently transported fish, for quarantine, treating wounds, with antibiotics, getting fish to begin eating, conserving metabolic energy, improving growth and alleviating the effects of stress.
I am not suggesting that all marine fish be kept in hyposaline conditions indefinitely. What I am suggesting is being open to investigating the various potential applications for hyposalinity therapy."

I

ch can be in your tank when you can't see it-- some symptoms besides white spots are darker mucus spots on the fish, or the fish scratching against solid objects (if you see this, its in your tank, even if there are no white spots visible). This is why your fish will sometimes break out with spots when stressed. Increase in temperature does speed up the life cycle of marine ich to its vulnerable stages more quickly; but use aeration because high temps kick oxygen out of the water. Changes in temp affect specific gravity; use a refractometer or keep a close eye on salinity. Ich is vulnerable during "free-living" stages -- both theronts/tomites or protomonts. Use hyposalinity for a month or more (preferably 6 weeks) to kill off free-living stages in a fish-only environment.

Also,

"Some strains of Cryptocaryon irritans are more tolerant of low salinities than others, in which case reducing the salinity further and/or extending the period of hyposalinity may be required."

i_3_7_2_1_1368593342156_6939" style="font-size: 16px;"> "Treating Reef Aquariums
Because copper and reduced salinity regimes cannot be used to treat reef aquariums, the only completely safe way to deal with marine ich in a reef aquarium is to remove all of your saltwater fish to a hospital aquarium where they can be treated separately.

Once the reef aquarium is devoid of saltwater fish, the parasites will not be able to find hosts and will eventually die. This takes a minimum of four weeks. <--- (6-8 weeks recommended to get your DT ich-free. Treat the fish with hyposalinity while they are in QT before putting them back into the DT.)

bottom: 10px; font-weight: normal; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); font-size: 12px; line-height: 14px; color: rgb(29, 28, 27); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
Prevention
Because treating marine ich is not easy in aquariums containing anything other than bony fish, prevention is the best way to manage this particular disease. All new livestock should be quarantined with hyposalinity for a minimum of four weeks prior to introduction. This will provide ample time to detect, and if necessary treat, ich infections."

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/saltwater-conditions/marine-ich.aspx

chaosfyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc http:///t/394389/how-to-cure-saltwater-ich/40#post_3520642
Hey everyone I just wanted to chime in real fast I have a 120 gallon sps Dom tank wit 2 tangs both have had ick both lost with in 3 days minced garlic add 1tsp to food and feed twice a day it falls into your display but your other fish are eating the same garlic so it helps them as well. It really does work it also works for your freshwater fish. Easy thing to do is buy 25 cloves and soak them and mince then drain through cheese cloth and store the liquid in your refrigerator.
About Ich's life cycle:
---In the Trophont cyst stage where the adult parasite is attached to a fish and feeding on it the time frame is 3 to 7 days. (These are the white spots on the fish, or it can be hidden in the gills and completely invisible).
---In the Trophont free swimming stage where the parasite has fallen off the fish, it looks for a place to attach its self. This stage can take up to 18hrs.
---In the Tomont stage where the parasite goes into reproductive mode while it is attached to something (like a rock) the time frame is 3 to 28 days.
---In the Theront stage where the newly hatched parasite is fee swimming and looking for a host the time frame is 24 to 48 hrs.
The ich spots probably just disappeared at the end of their 3 day cycle. That's natural.

S

saxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFyre http:///t/394389/how-to-cure-saltwater-ich/60#post_3521306
Okie dokie, I have compiled a second draft/recap of all the information we've gathered up on this forum about treating ich with hyposalinity. I tried to use only quotes from legitimate sources, with links where possible. If everyone who has been following along would please review this for me and make suggestions for changes or additions, that would be great!
The method I have used to successfully treat infected fish was to put them in a quarantine tank with a filter, an air-stone to prevent bacteria growth
and reintroduce oxygen into the water, a tank heater, and salt water.
I haven't posted, but i've been following along...I'm curious as to how an airstone prevents bacterial growth. Oxygenation? Water movement? Or...?
Also, the video of FW cyano vs. elevated salinity kinda confuses me...I'm not sure what your intent with it is regarding ******.

cranberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFyre http:///t/394389/how-to-cure-saltwater-ich/60#post_3521303
If you hadn't added any fish during that 1.5 years, sources say the all the ich in your tank would have died by that time. That would probably be why, after being stressed, they did not break out.
What sources say this? I know there have always been rumbling out there that Ich is self-limiting, but I have never read a direct source.
But, I'm not quit sure what you are saying, as they did break out with Ich. The tank they went into had no Ich in the year it was set up. The tank they came from had no Ich in the 1.5 years it was set up. No fish or critters or dry goods added in this time.
Evidently it was tucked away on someone somewhere (probably the gill). During a routine QT, this would have been missed and it would have been introduced to the display tank despite the QT period.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that if the hobbyists can detect ich adequately in a QT, then you can prevent the fish in QT from contaminating the display. Other factors can come in to play as to how a tank could become infected with ich.
As for considering the timeframe of ich and at what stage they can be treated, I would ask, we are only taking about one single cryptocaryon irritan, right? And not the many cryptocaryon irritans that are likely present....The reason it is wise to QT infected fish for more than a week is because there are many parasites usually present on fish, not just one, and they all are experiencing their life cycle at different times.
Using copper and hypo, treatment becomes effective in the free-swimming stage. Now, no hobbyist really knows when that stage begins for each and every parasite.
I would advocate that no one use airstones in a saltwater fish tank.
I would also say not to copy/paste other folk's writings. You can post links as long as it is not to a competitor site.
Yep, what does the youtube vid have to do with this topic?

sara7272

Haven't been in the Saltwater hobby very long... 4 months to be exact. We've had a pair of clowns and a pair of yellow belly blue tangs in our tank for almost 2 months. We added some more fish yesterday a Sailfin Tang, red warasse, coco worm and gobby. We also have two coral frags and an anemone in our tank.

Woke up this morning to find what I believe is ick on my yellow belly blue tangs. (Several white spots on their bodies.) I do not have a quarantine tank as I don't have space. What are other methods of treating ick? Is there a chemical you can buy to help treat it? Any help would be appreciated. Please don't criticize me for not having a QT tank...

Thanks!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara7272 http:///t/394389/how-to-cure-saltwater-ich/60#post_3535111
Haven't been in the Saltwater hobby very long... 4 months to be exact. We've had a pair of clowns and a pair of yellow belly blue tangs in our tank for almost 2 months. We added some more fish yesterday a Sailfin Tang, red warasse, coco worm and gobby. We also have two coral frags and an anemone in our tank.

Woke up this morning to find what I believe is ick on my yellow belly blue tangs. (Several white spots on their bodies.) I do not have a quarantine tank as I don't have space. What are other methods of treating ick? Is there a chemical you can buy to help treat it? Any help would be appreciated. Please don't criticize me for not having a QT tank...

Thanks!

Hi,
Welcome to the site....

What size tank do you have? The fish you have are for large tanks, the Sailfin needs 135g tank, and the Hippo tang requires a 100g tank. 2 Hippo tangs in the same tank is a no no, they are one per tank. You should always purchase your fish according to the tank size needed for the adult size, not the little juvenile size they are when you first purchase them. I'm not criticizing you, I'm trying to educate only.

As for the ich, you have a very serious problem in a reef environment, the reef safe cures...don't work, and often kill the inverts. The coco worm will have a very hard time with products such as kick ick. It is not the reef safe you think it is, and like I said, it doesn't work.

Here are a few methods you can do...

[*]Removing the rock, inverts and sand to tubs...leave the display empty except for fish and some pieces of PVC pipe to give them a place to hide and do Hypo...DO NOT use copper, it will get absorbed into the silicone and never be usable for a reef tank again, it will kill all coral and inverts you put in it after it's been contaminated with copper.
[*]Set up a couple of 40g breeder size QTs and do Hypo or treat with copper, leave your display fish free for 8 weeks so the parasite dies off without a host. (best option)
Leave everything alone and let what dies, die, and not add any new fish
...when and if all the fish die, then let the display remain fish free for 8 weeks to let the parasite die out without a host. You can add a couple of skunk cleaner shrimp, they like to pick the ich parasites out of the fish' gills and off their bodies, it will give the fish some relief. The fish will even come to the shrimp like a little cleaning station to be cleaned off.

The ich parasite attacks the stressed fish, and tangs are the easiest fish to stress...that's why folks call them ich magnets. All new fish are stressed
, healthy fish can fight off the parasite, but if you add a new fish, it will get the ick population all built again, and by sheer numbers...kill even your healthy fish that survived the first time around.

A quarantine is very easy to set up...no sand, just a power head (small tanks can use an air line with no stone instead, but bigger tanks need a PH) and a HOB filter (use old filter material from the display) and some PVC pipe for the fish to hide in and around to feel safe. You also MUST HAVE a refractometer to do hypo, you need to be very exact as you drop the SG and a hydrometer will not do. Keep saltwater ready mixed for an emergency water change if ammonia is detected at all.

chaosfyre

I agree, it would be easier to set up a quarantine tank or two. Check on craigslist for tanks for sale. Its a good investment to make, anyhow. I even have one in use as a fresh water tank, one in use as quarantine, and a 10 and a 20 gallon in the garage. Its useful to accumulate spare stuff!

I JUST bought a coral beauty and royal gramma, and they both had ich. I got my quarantine set up with hypo-salinity and dropped them in. Its day 3 or 4 and they are doing fine, no signs of ich since the first night. They'll stay there until early January.

I once kept my large purple tang in my 10 gallon quarantine. It had a bad case of ich when I got it. It wasn't happy, but it survived, and better yet, the ich was gone. If you can afford it, you should just pick up a little 10 or 20 gallon tank, filter, and heater. No light or stand or live rock or sand needed. You can often find these almost for free on craigslist.

Your tangs will do okay in one or two small quarantine tanks for a while, depending on how big the tangs are. I would keep a close eye on them though, since they do prefer a lot of space and might languish if you aren't careful. Mine stopped eating before 6 weeks was up and I had to cut it short somewhere after 4 weeks, but even that did the trick.