How to plumb a 125 gallong reef tank with dual overflow

shwstpr88

Hello I just got a 125 gallon dual stand predrilled tank. I am unsure how you plumb a tank with dual overflows I saw on here people with one overflow and understand that whole process but never seen two overflows. Can someone helpe me this? I am upgrading from a 30 gallon tank I have had for a few years. I am very excited and want to get going on this right away. What would be an ideal sump size for this size tank? I want to keep a good amount of fish and maybe down the line get into corals.

snakeblitz33

are they internal or external?
Personally, I don't see a need to have duals on a 125 gallon.
There really shouldn't be that much water going through your sump...

shwstpr88

Starting from scratch here so basically I have an entire new pallet. I have a brand new empty tank the overflows are internal two drilled holes in each that go directly under the thank. I think I will get a 30 gallon sump, does that sound too big/small? Where is a good place to get plumbing supplies for this project...obviously pvc at any home store but I mean like the outputs for pushing the water back I dont want ugly white pvc tubing in my tank.

florida joe

I personally love two overflows (its what my tank has) post a pic of the tank. The larger the sump the better. The plumbing is no big deal. Once a pic is posted and an actual visual of what you are working with is established you can make up your shopping list. Most everything you need for the plumbing can be purchased at Home depot
Welcome
and just be Forewarned I am the rudest person on the boards

shwstpr88

Thanks for the info so far! I will try and get some pics on here today. Hopfully when I post you guys could give me some direction and insight as to what kind of lighting I NEED and should get. I am looking for some economic options with lighting. Also, when you see the pics, the tan does not have a top at all, what would be my optons for covering the tank?

ret talbot

Welcome! This will be an exciting project! I like to ask people who are just setting up a new tank what they want the tank to loo like a year from now. That will dictate the answers to some of the questions you ask? What will the tank house? Will it attempt to replicate a specific biotope? Is there a "must-have" species on your stocking list?
Regarding sump size, bigger is better IMO. Go as large as you can fit.
In terms of the duel overflows, you can plumb them together under the tank (I like duel overflows too, although I only have a single on my 135).
Depending on your budget, look into Oceans Motions for in-tank plumbing. I use their duel nozzel returns on my closed loop system, and I love them. I use loc lines with diffusers on my main returns. PVC from Home Depot/Lowes/etc. will work for most everything else, although I'd spend the money and order good unions, bulk heads and ball valves (but that's just me).
Get some pics up, and keep us posted!
Ret

www.SaltwaterSense.com

ilovemytank

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2888541
are they internal or external?
Personally, I don't see a need to have duals on a 125 gallon.
There really shouldn't be that much water going through your sump...
Most every new tank ( 125 gallons ) that they currently make that are predrilled have two predrilled holes. They allow you the ability to move much more water and at the same time you do have the option of plugging one to move less water. On a 125 with predrilled holes they are almost always on oposite sides allowing better aquasacape options. I know you said you personally don't like them ( not that they aren't better ) and I'm not trying to be rude but I wouldn't have a 125 without two holes. But then again I have to have the biggest baddest skimmer I can fit !

Hey Snakeblitz33, I'm just playing with you !

shwstpr88

Ok finally some pictures, its been busy......
My wife had this in her parents basement the last month so we had to transport it to our house today it was xmas present....

A backward shot at the oveflow they have a 1.5in hole and a 1.75 in hole in each overflow....

florida joe

Im back just looking as if this was my tank the first thing plumbing I would do and again this is just me is put a valve after each pvc

[hr]
coming out of the bulk head under the tank then a check valve after each valve now you have complete isolation from everything under your tank via the valves and have the added security of a one way valve to prevent back siphoning into your sump. you will have to excuse my enthusiasm but I love projects like this that start form scratch