I keep a reef tank using canister filters instead of sump?

scottnlisa

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3298278

I like the sponges! They keep the good bacteria in them, I rinse them in discarded saltwater during water changes. The more good bacteria the better, if you do get rid of them don't do it all at once.
I have 4 sponges in my current canister. I rinse them the same way

I know this is an old topic... but I do have a question. When cleaning my filter, I just take the racks out and clean the filters in it. Am I supposed to dump the water out of the canister too? I always just leave that part alone.
I bought my canister used, so I didn't get any instructions. I'm using a Cascade canister filter. I just want to make sure that I'm properly maintaining it.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattytwobyfour http:///t/379215/i-keep-a-reef-tank-using-canister-filters-instead-of-sump/20#post_3529623
I know this is an old topic... but I do have a question. When cleaning my filter, I just take the racks out and clean the filters in it. Am I supposed to dump the water out of the canister too? I always just leave that part alone.
I bought my canister used, so I didn't get any instructions. I'm using a Cascade canister filter. I just want to make sure that I'm properly maintaining it.
I used a Cascade for many years. Dump the water, I always cleaned my canister when I did the water change. The good bacteria is on the sponges and whatever media you have in it. If the canister is you only filtration, only swap out 1/2 of the media at a time so there is no imbalance created. The other half of the media can be rinsed in the old discarded saltwater so the good bacteria is still healthy on it.

Thanks! I just dumped the water. I didn't realize that was apart of it. It's been running for 9 months without me doing that!!! I do regularly change the filters and rinse them. But I will start dumping it with my weekly water changes as well.
I honestly didn't understand the mechanics of the canister filter, until taking it all apart this morning! It was totally different then how I was thinking it worked.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattytwobyfour http:///t/379215/i-keep-a-reef-tank-using-canister-filters-instead-of-sump/20#post_3529654
Thanks! I just dumped the water. I didn't realize that was apart of it. It's been running for 9 months without me doing that!!! I do regularly change the filters and rinse them. But I will start dumping it with my weekly water changes as well.
I honestly didn't understand the mechanics of the canister filter, until taking it all apart this morning! It was totally different then how I was thinking it worked.
The water is not a problem...it goes in and then pumped right back out, after going through the media. So not dumping it for 9 months was no big deal at all. I just always got rid of all the old water I safely could, when doing water changes. Cleaning a canister too well can cause problems, about which I already explained.
If you ever need a manual for any equipment, fish tank related or not...you can find just about any manual on-line to print out for yourself.
P.S.
Don't change your canister weekly...once a month or at least bi-weekly. The whole idea behind a canister is the good bacteria that it breeds. You upset that balance when you clean it, that's why I said clean only 1/2 at a time. The water is in and pumped right back out, so dumping the water every week isn't necessary at all. I just always dumped it when I did my monthly water changes. Every week is too often (including the media swap) to mess with a canister filter. You are working too hard.

Thanks for the info. I don't change the media that often. I may rinse it once a month & change every 2 months. (I live too far from a LFS to keep a lot on hand). Plus I hate trying to get the lid on perfect so it don't leak.
I do a 5 gallon water change every week in my 33 gallon. But I'll just dump the water every other time or something. I think the gunk I found in the bottom of the canister was from sand from last December. I didn't rinse it. But the canister itself was pretty clean. Just sand gunk on the bottom. Thanks for the help!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattytwobyfour http:///t/379215/i-keep-a-reef-tank-using-canister-filters-instead-of-sump/20#post_3529715
Thanks for the info. I don't change the media that often. I may rinse it once a month & change every 2 months. (I live too far from a LFS to keep a lot on hand). Plus I hate trying to get the lid on perfect so it don't leak.
I do a 5 gallon water change every week in my 33 gallon. But I'll just dump the water every other time or something. I think the gunk I found in the bottom of the canister was from sand from last December. I didn't rinse it. But the canister itself was pretty clean. Just sand gunk on the bottom. Thanks for the help!
Oh...I remember the canister top from hell. That's why I purchased a Fluval, it was much easier to maintain.

snakeblitz33

"I don't always use canisters, but when I do, I use Eheim."
Never had a problem with Eheim canister filters, but I still don't recommend canister filters on any saltwater tank. I know there are several people who still use them, but I am always trying to convert them over. :D
Canister filters, I still feel, are better left on freshwater systems.
My .02

I'm still going to put that diy sump in this Fall. I think I start back work the first part of September, so my spending money will start rolling in again. That's my first project for sure.