We've moved to new platform. Passwords set before 24th July, 2014 will not work. Please reset your password, follow this link if help needed.

Krill vs regular shrimp

Discussion in 'Reef Tanks' started by hefner413, Jul 8, 2009.

1. hefner413

hefner413 New Member

You can purchase a 16 oz package of krill at the LFS for $16.00 and you can purchase 16 oz (1 pound) of raw shrimp at the grocery store for $5-6 per pound. What benefit do we get from buying the krill?
  2. meowzer

meowzer Moderator Staff Member

None that I know of...I buy the raw shell on shrimp from the grocery store...feed it to my stingray, and little pieces to the anemone and brain
  3. stanlalee

stanlalee New Member

Krill is MUCH higher in carotenoid content then most common table shrimp (and other crustasceans) which maintains good color in fish. Besides that without knowing the nutritional profile of table shrimp its anybody's guess.
  4. cranberry

cranberry New Member

What are you feeding?
  5. hefner413

hefner413 New Member

My stock list:
    Zebra eel
    Snowflake eel
    --> these two eat mainly shrimp and silversides
    Queen angel
    Striped dogface puffer
    blue tang
    sailfin tang
    lunare wrasse
    clownfish
    These mainly eat a blend of raw shrimp / squid / silversides / oysters along with Nori sheets and Formula one / two pellets
  6. cranberry

cranberry New Member

Avoid the krill with the puffer. It has been linked to lock jaw.
  7. coral keeper

coral keeper New Member

Originally Posted by Cranberry

Avoid the krill with the puffer. It has been linked to lock jaw.
    What about triggers?
  8. cranberry

cranberry New Member

I never read it of triggers, but of of scorpions and puffers.
    But I'll see what I come up with.
  9. aquaknight

aquaknight New Member

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper

What about triggers?
    Regardless, it's still not a great idea to feed only one type of food. This is the problem with lockjaw, krill was the only/main/large percentage of diet for the scorps/puffers. If fed in a nice round diet, even to lions and puffers, lockjaw is a non-issue. The trouble is that krill quickly becomes the only accepted prepared food these guys (lions, puffers) would eat and the owner slacks off and that's the only food they get.
    What I'm not sure about is which type of krill they use. I tend to believe it's been freeze-dried krill, the type in a can like flakes, as the freeze-drying process flushes out what was the bit of nutrition in a krill, that's been causing lockjaw. Not the whole frozen form of krill...
  10. aquaknight

aquaknight New Member

No one should ever feed their marine fish this worthless crap anyways...
  11. cranberry

cranberry New Member

They are saying to eliminate the krill all together in puffers and scorps, both frozen and freeze dried. I use to give it to mine intermittently, they recommended I cut it out.
  12. coral keeper

coral keeper New Member

Oh, I never feed my fish only krill, I was just wondering. I make my own fish food. Its made out of nori seaweed, copeez, brine shrimp eggs, adult brine, mysis, krill, phytoplankton, silversiders, silver fish, a bit of salmon, scallops, garlic, squid, octopus, shrimp, mussels(wild collected, I collect my own from the ocean, they would occasionally have sperm and eggs and I throw it in the fish food ), and lots more lols