Krill vs regular shrimp

hefner413

You can purchase a 16 oz package of krill at the LFS for $16.00 and you can purchase 16 oz (1 pound) of raw shrimp at the grocery store for $5-6 per pound. What benefit do we get from buying the krill?

meowzer

None that I know of...I buy the raw shell on shrimp from the grocery store...feed it to my stingray, and little pieces to the anemone and brain

stanlalee

Krill is MUCH higher in carotenoid content then most common table shrimp (and other crustasceans) which maintains good color in fish. Besides that without knowing the nutritional profile of table shrimp its anybody's guess.

hefner413

My stock list:
Zebra eel
Snowflake eel
--> these two eat mainly shrimp and silversides
Queen angel
Striped dogface puffer
blue tang
sailfin tang
lunare wrasse
clownfish
These mainly eat a blend of raw shrimp / squid / silversides / oysters along with Nori sheets and Formula one / two pellets

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/3081283
What about triggers?
Regardless, it's still not a great idea to feed only one type of food. This is the problem with lockjaw, krill was the only/main/large percentage of diet for the scorps/puffers. If fed in a nice round diet, even to lions and puffers, lockjaw is a non-issue. The trouble is that krill quickly becomes the only accepted prepared food these guys (lions, puffers) would eat and the owner slacks off and that's the only food they get.
What I'm not sure about is which type of krill they use. I tend to believe it's been freeze-dried krill, the type in a can like flakes, as the freeze-drying process flushes out what was the bit of nutrition in a krill, that's been causing lockjaw. Not the whole frozen form of krill...

cranberry

They are saying to eliminate the krill all together in puffers and scorps, both frozen and freeze dried. I use to give it to mine intermittently, they recommended I cut it out.

coral keeper

Oh, I never feed my fish only krill, I was just wondering. I make my own fish food.
Its made out of nori seaweed, copeez, brine shrimp eggs, adult brine, mysis, krill, phytoplankton, silversiders, silver fish, a bit of salmon, scallops, garlic, squid, octopus, shrimp, mussels(wild collected, I collect my own from the ocean, they would occasionally have sperm and eggs and I throw it in the fish food
), and lots more lols