Macroalgae of the moment: codium intricatum

reefkprz

Codium intricatum (dead mans finger algae, finger algae)
ah yes, an oft overlooked form of macro algae, codium intricatum is an attractive macro not prone to taking over tanks like many algaes in the hobby, a relatively slow grower that can provide great cover for breeding of copepods, the colony's density is dictated by the amount of light it recieves, low light more diffuse brances high light more densly packed branches. I have never seen or heard of this algae going sexual in a tank. I would consider this algae an attraction rather than a denitrifier though it does consume nitrogenous compounds like most plants. tangs and other herbivorous fish may consume it but not extremly rapidly.

bang guy

Very cool!
You should change your title to Marine Algae of the Moment. We don't want hobbiests thinking this is a plant.

reefkprz

but just for the record some algaes are a form of plant life......

in the past they were all considered to share a common ancestor ( monophyletic ) so were all grouped in the Plant kingdom ... today they are thought to have different ancestors ( polyphyletic ) and are placed in several different divisions within the Plant kingdom while unicellular and colonial algae are placed in seperate kingdom Protista ( these would not be plants since they are not multicellular despite the fact they are photosynthetic ).

bang guy

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2607416
but just for the record some algaes are a form of plant life......

in the past they were all considered to share a common ancestor ( monophyletic ) so were all grouped in the Plant kingdom ... today they are thought to have different ancestors ( polyphyletic ) and are placed in several different divisions within the Plant kingdom while unicellular and colonial algae are placed in seperate kingdom Protista ( these would not be plants since they are not multicellular despite the fact they are photosynthetic ).
I suppose the classifications could have changed, again, they used to be in the Protista Kingdom because they lack cellular walls. If you look at the algae you have pictured in your hand it will appear that it is a single cell.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2607472
I suppose the classifications could have changed, again, they used to be in the Protista Kingdom because they lack cellular walls. If you look at the algae you have pictured in your hand it will appear that it is a single cell.
Most current high school biology texts indeed continue to place them in the protista kingdom; as they lack the complex, internal transport system of "plants". Of course, so does moss, so go figure?! But that is were they are for now ~ still an ongoing debate however. And on that note, perhaps the forum title should be changed as well? Marine Plants and Macroalga might be a suggestion.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2607472
absolutly correct this one is in the protista kingdom, but some still fall within the realm of plant, though this one indeed does not.

reefkprz

hmmm it appears editing the main title doesnt work. its changed once your in the thread but it didnt change the appearance of the title on the main board.

reefkprz

well I was digging around for taxonomic info on this to make it a little more informative but all I can seem to find appears to be woefully outdated.
Domain: Eukaryota, Whittaker & Margulis,1978 - eukaryotes
Kingdom: Plantae, Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae, Cavalier-Smith, 1981 - Green Plants
Phylum: Chlorophyta, auct. - Green Algae
Subphylum: Chlorophytina, Cavalier-Smith, 1998
Infraphylum: Tetraphytae, Cavalier-Smith, 1998
Class: Chlorophyceae, T. Christensen, 1994
Order: Codiales,
Family: Codiaceae,
Genus: Codium, F.S. Collins & Hervey, 1917
Specific epithet: intricatum, Okamura
Botanical name: Codium intricatum, Okamura

reefkprz

bang guy, as a mod can you edit the title? maybe fix the algae/plant thing as well as correct the spelling of intricatum I accdentally spelled it intracatum<this is incorrect

reefkprz

Thanks

its weird that it will change the title for me in the thread but not out on the main board, I tired editing it but I guess once its logged in the SWF mainframe *S* only a mod can change the true listing.

ophiura

Well, since you had to throw in monophyletic and polyphyletic I will proposed that a heck of a lot of the groups are paraphyletic too.

reefkprz

I've just been "one upped"

I know poriferans are paraphyletic as they are divided into siliceous and calcerous sponges together not being monopyletic, as well as invertabretes being described any animal other than vertabretes are paraphyletic. I never considered algaes as possibly being paraphyletic.

ophiura

The "Reptilia" are a classic paraphyletic group as it does not include birds.
I would think at the lower level classifications there are absolutely paraphyletic groups everywhere - but not always at the phylum level.

bang guy

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/2612342
The "Reptilia" are a classic paraphyletic group as it does not include birds.
I would think at the lower level classifications there are absolutely paraphyletic groups everywhere - but not always at the phylum level.
The official language of this board is English. If you cannot refrain from this behavior in the future I will be forced to issue a citation.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/2612342
I definatly have to agree with you there.
And of course in the grand scheme of things it probably doesnt really matter if the macroalgaes in question are para mono or polyphyletic as long as they work in our aquariums. *S* this information probably only matters to one hobbyest in 26,000 (me)