Mardel Copper Safe

sh2000

She put in 12 ml into 10 gal. she ordered at seachem copper test kit and cupermine...will have it on fri or sat. so for now there is no test and she followed directions on the bottle add 5 ml per 4 gallons treats for 1 month.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by SH2000
http:///forum/post/2493661
She put in 12 ml into 10 gal. she ordered at seachem copper test kit and cupermine...will have it on fri or sat. so for now there is no test and she followed directions on the bottle add 5 ml per 4 gallons treats for 1 month.
If you are going to add cupramine to the tank then you will have to remove the coppersafe. Don't mix the copper. Use carbon to remove it. The directions on the bottle are more for a preventative. It takes a higher level of copper to kill existing ich.

sh2000

OK so for now she used copper safe she is gonna stick with that one. She followed the directions so what should she do now add more copper safe ? wait for the test then test then see if she should add more ? I would suggest the ladder.

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2493759
OK so for now she used copper safe she is gonna stick with that one. She followed the directions so what should she do now add more copper safe ? wait for the test then test then see if she should add more ? I would suggest the ladder.
Yes, wait for the test.

sh2000

OK I'm here with my friend like I said she has the tang in a 10 gal qt so we need to be careful because it's a small tank so less room for error. I was able to get her a copper test by ATI it will have to do for now we tested 2x and it reads 1.0 ppm as SEP. mentioned earlier is should read between 1.5-2.0 ppm so if the directions on the Mardel Copper-Safe say add 5 ml per 4 gallons and the copper test shows we're at 1.0 ppm how much to add to get it to the level desired to treat the white spots on the tangs body I think its ICK. SEP mentioned also before the directions are for prevention so when the fish acctually has alot of white spots on its body and fins what level do we want the copper at. Basically if someone could help me out since there is no room for error and we are scared to overdose. So we're at copper level of 1.0 ppm and directions say add 5ml per 4 gallons how much to add to get it at 1.5-2.0 ppm and should we get it to 1.5 or 2.0 or it's the same.
1-sorry I'm terrible at math
2-Thanks for putting up with me to make you all feel better your saving my friends fish's life.

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2494044
OK I'm here with my friend like I said she has the tang in a 10 gal qt so we need to be careful because it's a small tank so less room for error. I was able to get her a copper test by ATI it will have to do for now we tested 2x and it reads 1.0 ppm as SEP. mentioned earlier is should read between 1.5-2.0 ppm so if the directions on the Mardel Copper-Safe say add 5 ml per 4 gallons and the copper test shows we're at 1.0 ppm how much to add to get it to the level desired to treat the white spots on the tangs body I think its ICK. SEP mentioned also before the directions are for prevention so when the fish acctually has alot of white spots on its body and fins what level do we want the copper at. Basically if someone could help me out since there is no room for error and we are scared to overdose. So we're at copper level of 1.0 ppm and directions say add 5ml per 4 gallons how much to add to get it at 1.5-2.0 ppm and should we get it to 1.5 or 2.0 or it's the same.
1-sorry I'm terrible at math
2-Thanks for putting up with me to make you all feel better your saving my friends fish's life.

I would not add any more today. With cupramine you raise the amount of copper over several days time so that the fish can get used to the copper level. Coppersafe is much milder and it is chelated copper. It is supposed to be non toxic. I would wait 24hrs before adding more. Being that this fish is a tang, you may want to stay more at 1.5ppm rather than going to 2.0. Tangs are sensitive to copper. I don't know the exact ml to tell you here to raise it by .5ppm. Add a very small amount. Copper will not kill the parasites until they drop off to reproduce. Don't feel the need to add more because you still see parasites.

sh2000

on monday she added the fisrt dose 12 ml for 10 gal. tonight wed, she added 5 ml after the test showing a result of 1.0 ppm of copper, she's using coppersafe I guess she will retest and see the results then trial and error from there and shoot for the level to be 1.5 ppm..now she should test everyday to make sure the level of copper doesn't go above 2.0 ppm ? Should she test more than 1x a day ?

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2494254
on monday she added the fisrt dose 12 ml for 10 gal. tonight wed, she added 5 ml after the test showing a result of 1.0 ppm of copper, she's using coppersafe I guess she will retest and see the results then trial and error from there and shoot for the level to be 1.5 ppm..now she should test everyday to make sure the level of copper doesn't go above 2.0 ppm ? Should she test more than 1x a day ?
Yes, she should test twice a day. Water evaporation is the main reason that the copper level would fluctuate. I am glad that she did not add all of the copper at once. Tell her to add a very little at a time and then wait an hour or so to test. Does she have a power head in the tank? She will need one.

sh2000

I gave her my maxi jet 1200 a while ago I'll ask her if she still has it but from what I know she only has that one and thats 295 gallons per hour is that ok for a 10 gal ? will this harm the tang ? Also why is a PH needed ? What will this do ?

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2494279
I gave her my maxi jet 1200 a while ago I'll ask her if she still has it but from what I know she only has that one and thats 295 gallons per hour is that ok for a 10 gal ? will this harm the tang ? Also why is a PH needed ? What will this do ?

A 1200 may be overkill in a 10 gallon tank, if that is all she has then it will have to do. Added movement is needed because the medication reacts with the oxygen and depletes it in the tank.

sh2000

Ok since that is all she has it will do..
1-where is the best place to put the PH? top? middle? going across the tank sideways or in the back going towards the front glass ?
2-also the thing at the end of the power head(from the tube that goes outside the tank) that you turn to increase or decrease I think the oxygen should it be turned closed or left more open or in the middle ?
3- Sorry for asking so many questions but I wanna help her get this right and save this tang!
4-Can a maxi jet 1200 kill the tang since it's strong for a 10 gallon tank ?
5- Thank You !

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2494304
Ok since that is all she has it will do..
1-where is the best place to put the PH? top? middle? going across the tank sideways or in the back going towards the front glass ?
2-also the thing at the end of the power head(from the tube that goes outside the tank) that you turn to increase or decrease I think the oxygen should it be turned closed or left more open or in the middle ?
3- Sorry for asking so many questions but I wanna help her get this right and save this tang!
4-Can a maxi jet 1200 kill the tang since it's strong for a 10 gallon tank ?
5- Thank You !

Turn the power head on low. If it is not a typhoon in the tank then place it about 1/3 of the way down the tank. If it is strong then keep it closer to the top. It should blow horizontally across the tank. If it seems too strong and the fish is struggling then see if she can go pick up a 600. I hope that the little guy makes it. Ask us anything that you would like

sh2000

Ok hes looking better she says the spots drastically have improved. but she said she did a test after adding tonight 5 ml and she couldnt tell if it was 2 ppm or 4ppm the darn color schemes are so close so she did a 10 percent water change to be on the safe side.then we did a test and it clearly read 2.0 ppm hope its ok as u said earlier better to be at 1.5 ppm but were at 2ppm,but you also said that this mardel test isn't as potent as cupermine. so fingers crossed. anyways thanks sep!

We will name this tang after you "Sir Quizzy"

usc932000

I am using same copper (coppersafe) in a 10g qt and seachem test kit. I tested the tank water and the readings were to the end of the test scale. So I know that the levels are above 1.0 at least. The fish are all doing well with no signs of stress. Today is day 4 of the treatment and so far all is well. Per coppersafe, the copper will be in a stable state between 1.5.-2.0ppm.
My question to all is whats a safe ppm while using copper? I know this is a broad question, so a guestiment is understandable.