mold in inside of canopy

Discussion in 'Lighting, Equipment & DIY' started by algaeeater, Oct 30, 2002.

1. algaeeater

algaeeater New Member

I have black mold growing in the inside of my DIY canopy, painted with white enamel. it is too late to paint it with marine paint since there is no way I can take it off to paint without draining almost all of the water. The plastic center bar cracked a long time ago so the wood center bar that is part of the canopy is keeping the front acrylic from bowing out. Quite the dilema. Any ideas? I would hate to use strong mold cleaner for fear of it getting into the tank (50 g). Also the "trunk lid" brass supports started to rust so I replaced them with hard to find steel ones. Anyone else have these problems.
  2. slick

slick New Member

I think your best bet would be to drain the tank down a little and take the canopy off. You don't want to risk putting toxic stuff in your tank. Even if the paint says non toxic its not worth the risk.
  3. sebae0

sebae0 Guest

not to alarm you or anything like that but black mold is dangerous to humans it can cause a bunch of respiratory problems and in the worst case it can lead to a bacterial lung infection that will put you in the hospital for awhile. take the canopy off and get rid of it.