My 240 gallon reef tank.....HAHA

kjr_trig

Thought I would try some corals in my big tank for the heck of it. After some discussion with Aquaknight, and Mark Martin I have some additions. 3 Colt Corals, an Umbrella Leather, and some mushrooms....I have 2 Chili Corasl in there too, but not looking great yet if you are not familiar, they are non-photosynthetic, I try to keep them dark.
Everyone is always asking about "reef-safe" angels, I went the opposite route looking for "Angel safe" Corals. Colt are highly noxious and Angels won't likely touch them, same with most leathers. The mushrooms are a bit iffy, they will go to the Nano reef if the Angels start eating them....So far so good, here are some pictures.
All fish are doing nicely though

R

rcreations

Good luck with the corals. I tried putting in some simple corals in my FOWLR, stuff like mushrooms. But they didn't last long. I got this dogface puffer that just loves corals.
btw, I used to have a flame angel in my reef tank that loved to eat my leather corals. I had to trade him in beause of that. His favorite was the toadstool and kenya tree.

saka bra

ya mate ya. I wanted to try coral for the heck of it also and thought that I have good enough lighting. I baught my first colt coral also because it is noxious to the fish. My French angel took a bite of it and never did again
. So i got another and succsess again
. so now i have two beautiful corals with a "LARGE ANGELFISH!"
I decided to try my luck even further and purchased a yellow leather coral, thinking im either gonna be lucky again, or tha angel will have CAVIAR for dinner tonight. It didnt go as well as the colts. one leather died or is dying now but the other is living well. I keep him well fed so that he doesnt do any grazing on my coral.

R

rcreations

I wonder if I could keep a colt coral with my puffer. Might be worth a shot.

saka bra

RCreations- it is worth a try if you think you feed your puffer enugh. Im not sure thogh, ive never had a puffer before.

ccampbell57

Kirk - it is honorable to try the reef thing...remember I did it, caught the bug and my angels demolished a $2000+ reef :)
Looks good though

ironeagle2006

Same here I won a Kenya Tree and a Mushroom and the DFP ate the Mushroom then the Niger ate the Kenya Tree. I will wait til I have the 75 up and running before I try corals again. That tank is going to be for peaceful fish aka firefish Cardnals and such.

saka bra

I havent seen my french angel pick at my leather since tha first week i got it. I got it about 3-4 weeks ago. And it comes out all the way too.

peter1215

I put a few frogspawn corals and some mushrooms in my tank and none of the angels(emperor & queen) have bothered it. I may try the colt next. I tried a few kenya frags and the queen angel wiped them out in two days.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by peter1215
http:///forum/post/2883463
I put a few frogspawn corals and some mushrooms in my tank and none of the angels(emperor & queen) have bothered it. I may try the colt next. I tried a few kenya frags and the queen angel wiped them out in two days.
Long time no see Peter
How is your tank doing?.....And yes to update I really recommend the Colt Corals, cool looking and nobody touches them

peter1215

Hi Kirk,
I know, its been a while...just been working those crazy wall st hours because of all the layoffs. The tank has fully recovered and doing well thanks. I need to post some pictures soon. I have a queen and emperor angel, blue throat trig, blond naso tan , 2 percs, 2 lyretails and want to get a personifer angel for xmas. BTW you tank looks really nice. hey that asfur hasnt touched those corals? I may get some colt corals tomorrow.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by peter1215
http:///forum/post/2883821
Hi Kirk,
I know, its been a while...just been working those crazy wall st hours because of all the layoffs. The tank has fully recovered and doing well thanks. I need to post some pictures soon. I have a queen and emperor angel, blue throat trig, blond naso tan , 2 percs, 2 lyretails and want to get a personifer angel for xmas. BTW you tank looks really nice. hey that asfur hasnt touched those corals? I may get some colt corals tomorrow.
Both Asfur and Emperor ignore them, they are younger than your Angels, but my understanding (as a coral novice) is the Colt are so noxious, they just are not worth eating to any fish.

peter1215

I read on an online sellers site that Emperor angels can be kept in a tank with SPS. do you guys agree with this ?

ccampbell57

I dont agree with SPS...if I put my emperor in a tank with SPS it would be a FOWLR in no time. All my angels (including the potters) pick off all the rock.

R

rcreations

Well, I bought a Colt coral for my FOWLR and that lasted only a few hours. My Queen angel went to work on eating it as soon as it hit the water. It didn't seem to be so noxious to her because she kept coming back for more.
Finally took pity on the poor coral and moved it to my small reef tank.
For the record, so far I tried:
Assorted mushrooms - my dogface puffer ate those completely
Zoas - same thing, dogface puffer loved them
Colt - queen angel yummy
Star Polyps - both puffer and queen loved these
That's it, I give up on trying coral in my FOWLR.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/2885946
Well, I bought a Colt coral for my FOWLR and that lasted only a few hours. My Queen angel went to work on eating it as soon as it hit the water. It didn't seem to be so noxious to her because she kept coming back for more.
Finally took pity on the poor coral and moved it to my small reef tank.
For the record, so far I tried:
Assorted mushrooms - my dogface puffer ate those completely
Zoas - same thing, dogface puffer loved them
Colt - queen angel yummy
Star Polyps - both puffer and queen loved these
That's it, I give up on trying coral in my FOWLR.

Curious if you think you gave it enough time? Was he actually eating it? All my fish "investigated", and nipped, particularly the Angels, but haven't given it a second look since the first day.

R

rcreations

Yeah, she ate most of a whole branch. That's what made me decide I better move the coral. The puffer showed no interest in it though. He came over checked it out then left it alone.

saka bra

Rcreations- that sucks, i geuss its more of a hit and miss thing with angels, or your queen was really hungry. is your queen an adult?

R

rcreations

My queen is a juvi almost 4", changing to adult. She lost all her vertical stripes and is forming the crown. Between her and my dogface puffer, no coral survive very long. Maybe I should go for the fake ones.