My dogface puffer is changing color

R

rcreations

When I first got my dogface puffer is was an olive and gold color. Now I've noticed he's changing into the more traditional grey color. He still has some gold spots but he's mostly grey with some black spots. Is this normal? Do they usually change color as they grow? Otherwise he's acting normal, eating, active, looks happy.

kydizzle41

i think its normal ive seen many different colors of dog faced puffers when there at different sizes. i would say as long as he is acting normal and eating good you have nothing to worry about

R

rcreations

He eats like a pig and is pretty active. Keeps going around the tank puffing in the sand, it looks so funny. I just wasn't sure if changing colors was normal. I haven't had him for very long. He's been in QT for 4 weeks and in my DT for 2. My queen angel doesn't like him though and he's not really backing away from her. One day she must have bugged him too much because he puffed up into a giant ball. I ran up to get the camera, but by the time I came back he was already deflating.

R

rcreations

Not sure which one it is. He seems to be morphing into this grey color with some gold around the face. Could it be because the Queen angel is bugging him, maybe stress related?

el guapo

Could be stress or it could be a change in diet . As long as its eating healthy I wouldn't worry about it unless you see serious signs of a aggression from the angel .

R

rcreations

Nah, nothing serious. In fact, since he puffed up that one day she's been leaving him alone.

el guapo

Yeah . In my old tank the damsels kept picking at my puffer until he puffed up one day . After that they kinda left him alone . Everybody left him alone . Much like you he was deflating before I could get the camera .

stdreb27

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/2814238
Not sure which one it is. He seems to be morphing into this grey color with some gold around the face. Could it be because the Queen angel is bugging him, maybe stress related?
If it is stress you'll see changes throughout the day. Personally i think he is probably changing to better match his environment. Usually when they do change due to stress they go to a flatter color. And it is coupled with possibly being lethagic, curling of the tail. Definately not looking for food by squirting the sand.