new oceanic biocube 29 gal. how do i start?

2blonds

I have just bought an oceanic 29 gal. biocube, im wondering where to start? i have my salt ... hydrometer...and some live salt on the way from swf.com. Im willing to go very slow with the setup, but i'm a little confused with wich rout to take!
#1 ... water ph
#2.... add sand
#3.... live rock or live fish???
#4.... IS THIS THE RIGHT WAY?
PLESE HELP ALL YOU CAN !!!

wattsupdoc

Welcome

Some say add the LR first and then you're sand. Reason being that then it wont settle and crack you're tank or crush one of it's inhabatents (SP). Then you're LS. Then the salt water. Let it cycle until all ammo and nitrates are gone then when you have some nitrates , do a water change and then you can add a clean up crew and some fish. Get a test kit so you can test you're water periodically while its cycling (you'll want to test after also).
Enjoy you're newfound hobby.
Charlie

wattsupdoc

Mostly, be patient, go slow, and read read read. You can search the archives here and will find more info than anywhere els I've found. Most the people here are very friendly and helpful. You will usually be able to get help with any situation. There are those thats swear their way is the only way. And for them that may be true. But there are many ways to do things. Think about what you want to do and plan as much as possible. Reef, fish only with live rock etc. Be wary of you're LFS's (local fish store) advise as most of them are just out for profit. Ask here first. You'll get MUCH better results.

nygel

here is how i set up my 10 (im purchasing a 29 setup tomorrow as an upgrade)
added saltwater first (mixed first obviously) then i added the live sand, then i added 2 large pieces of Live rock, now if you have a bunch of rock then you probably want to wait for the tank water to clear up then add it so you can aquascape then cycle, then inverts (cleanup crew) and then fish and such.

2blonds

nygel... thanks ive been told the same by others too. im thinking of buying just one pice of live rock for the time-being, how long do you think i should have to wait to add the sand? how long should i wait to add the rock?.........ARE YOU GOING TO SEE TIESTO IN ATL REMIX?

2blonds

Thanks Doc! Im Feeling A Bit More Comfortable Now. What About Ro Water Do You Think That Is Soooo Important?

wattsupdoc

Welll, I'm gonna get flamed here.
But... I use well water myself and so far..... haven't had any problems.
But most say it is verrrry important. If I hadn't been using the same water before I converted to salt for like foreveor then I dont hink I would have tried it. Definetly not city water though. They add all kinds of things in their water. Chlorine, floride ect. Pl;us alot of people say if it's ran through any metals lines like copper it's not a good idea. You can get it pretty cheap at wally world so I'd say it's worth it.

nygel

Originally Posted by 2blonds
nygel... thanks ive been told the same by others too. im thinking of buying just one pice of live rock for the time-being, how long do you think i should have to wait to add the sand? how long should i wait to add the rock?.........ARE YOU GOING TO SEE TIESTO IN ATL REMIX?
yea, just add it in basically at once, .... and tiesto in atl remix?

zanski

Just to give you more conf. I would definatly start with some live rock, then sand, because the rock may crack your tank as stated above. after that i would buy the salt water already premixed by your LFS. This way you know it will be right. IMO r/o water is a must, i live in the city so i know nothing about well water, so i cant agree but im not saying its wrong. BUT def NO tap water. since its a 29 gal. i wouldnt waste money on a ro unit, just get your ro water from walmart's fancy culligan machine! CHEAP! Definatly buy a test kit i use the red sea master kit it has everything. Make sure your ammo. spikes then do a water change. I would wait a month before i add any cleaners or fish IMO. Def. go with a cleaning crew before fish though! GOOD LUCK!