orange toadfish

damon123

I saw an orange toadfish at my local pet store, does anyone know anything about these guys? size, aggressiveness etc. any info would be appreciated.

sharkboy13

they should have a tank of atleast 50gal, they get 12in, and sty near or under their favorite rock all the time and should be the only toadfish in the tank

psusocr1

they liek to burrow in the sand and under rocks as said... be carefull if you have nay fish that are smaller the toad will eat them!.. im also looking to get a toad for myt ank but i cant find any locally!

greenwolf52

don't plan on seeing him very often. mine hangs out in between my rocks and back glass and doesn't so much as stick his head out unless there is food on a stick in front of him. otherwise, he is a very neat fish. extremely cool-looking. he will, however, eat anyhting that will fit in his mouth. much like a lion. quite aggressive towards tankmates at feeding time, but for the most part keeps to himself. he's about 6-7" right now. i hope he stays alive for a long time.

greenwolf52

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
also forgot to say they are venomous so be careful..
Holy Crap! I did not know they were venomous. Damn...I guess it's been proven, yet again, that the lfs does not know as much as all might believe.
Thanks for that info. I feel pretty stupid now but just glad I didn't have to learn the hard way.
As far as pics go, I will try. Have tried in the past but he is elusive
:happyfish

greenwolf52

Originally Posted by shark bait
Might this be the fish you are looking at?
Oh yeah, Buddy! That's him...
:cheer: :hilarious
:jumping:
Can you get any facials?

shogun323

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
also forgot to say they are venomous so be careful..
I believe this is incorrect. The Rhinopias is venomous, but not the genus Antennarius.

shogun323

Strike that. I guess some in the genus are venomous but there are many types in the aquarium hobby that are not.

shogun323

"Frogfishes are a family of fishes that look like misshapen toads - hence the name frogfishes. They are usually less than 20cm long, with some species less than 5cm in total length. They are sedentary ambush-feeders. Unsuspecting prey are attracted to a small beacon on the frogfish's snout only to discover they are falling into an enormous gaping mouth. Because their life-style is similar to the stonefish they look rather similar in appearance, although the beacon above the mouth is a giveaway. Frogfish do not have the defensive poisonous spines that make stonefish so feared."
:notsure:

texasmetal

Originally Posted by shogun323
"Frogfishes are a family of fishes that look like misshapen toads - hence the name frogfishes. They are usually less than 20cm long, with some species less than 5cm in total length. They are sedentary ambush-feeders. Unsuspecting prey are attracted to a small beacon on the frogfish's snout only to discover they are falling into an enormous gaping mouth. Because their life-style is similar to the stonefish they look rather similar in appearance, although the beacon above the mouth is a giveaway. Frogfish do not have the defensive poisonous spines
that make stonefish so feared."
:notsure:
Frogfishes and Toadfishes are two different creatures.

shogun323

Originally Posted by TexasMetal
Frogfishes and Toadfishes are two different creatures.
How true! That is quite an oversite on my part!!! I can't believe I missed that.