pics DIY PVC OVERFLOW!

alan1

Umm...I'm sold!
1. I'm establishing a 10 gal tank, so I want to include a 10 or so gal sump in order to increase the stability of the system.
2. What size tubing, and what size/brand/type of return pump would you recommend?
3. This may be silly, but......... I'm also thinking of installing mini "raingutters" around the top of my tank with a drain back to the sump, just in case the siphon breaks, and the pump keeps inputting water back to the tank. Thoughts? I know it sounds kind of funny, but I can't risk a mini-flood where the tank is situated.

yerboy

Originally Posted by Alan1
http:///forum/post/2483415
Umm...I'm sold!
1. I'm establishing a 10 gal tank, so I want to include a 10 or so gal sump in order to increase the stability of the system.
2. What size tubing, and what size/brand/type of return pump would you recommend?
3. This may be silly, but......... I'm also thinking of installing mini "raingutters" around the top of my tank with a drain back to the sump, just in case the siphon breaks, and the pump keeps inputting water back to the tank. Thoughts? I know it sounds kind of funny, but I can't risk a mini-flood where the tank is situated.
i use a mag3 "300gph-350gph" return pump on my 20 long take a look at that pump.
Very reliable and i doubt you will find someone on this site who wouldn't recommend this brand.

new-guy

im new to sumps what size of pvc would you use on a 45 gal tall and how long are the pvc pieces to make this overflow?

alan1

We need to have a computer whiz throw together a utility which will tell you the sizes of parts to get, as well as the pump to use from the return sump based upon the tank and sump dimensions.

new-guy

ok ive decided on building my own sump but can i get the deminsions of this overflow pipe also mine would be going on a 45 tall

veni vidi vici

Im going to build one today,but instead of using a double 90 going over the top of tank edge in going to use a extra U tube i have.I would like to see if air is building up for the sake of being able to sleep at night.I have to check and see if PVC primer and glue will bond to it or melt the U tube first.If not ill use some plumbers epoxy.Ill post some pics after i "Get Er Done"

dravensdad

ive built one the work great have not lost siphon since starting about 2 months, mine are a little noisy though

scopus tang

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
http:///forum/post/2554481
Im going to build one today,but instead of using a double 90 going over the top of tank edge in going to use a extra U tube i have.I would like to see if air is building up for the sake of being able to sleep at night.I have to check and see if PVC primer and glue will bond to it or melt the U tube first.If not ill use some plumbers epoxy.Ill post some pics after i "Get Er Done"
Let us or me know how it goes will you? I'm considering something like this when I redesign some of the systems at school (cheap is good, noise is not an issue ~ water on the floor however is a biiiig issue!). Thanks

veni vidi vici

Done.....i haven't glued it yet ,i wanted to put photos on here first for scrutiny . I think the pipe in the tank will need to be longer so i don't syphon 12 gallons out of tank on power outage.
So what do you think?Is it gonna work?

After i check to see if its gonna work properly im going to paint it black.

scopus tang

Looks good, you should know if its sealed properly when you try to start it, it shouldn't siphon if there is an air leak anywhere. Not sure what you mean by by longer? Have a question on the paint though, I know it goes inert once dry and won't hurt anything, but will it stick to the plastic or peel off over time? Also will the paint inhibit the growth of coralline or corals? Just curious ~ never painted anything going into a tank

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang
http:///forum/post/2555083
Looks good, you should know if its sealed properly when you try to start it, it shouldn't siphon if there is an air leak anywhere. Not sure what you mean by by longer? Have a question on the paint though, I know it goes inert once dry and won't hurt anything, but will it stick to the plastic or peel off over time? Also will the paint inhibit the growth of coralline or corals? Just curious ~ never painted anything going into a tank
Im refering to the stand pipe in the tank.I havent put it in yet so
Im not sure how close the 90 will be to the surface .I dont want to loose to much water out of DT during a power outage.As far as the paint is concerned ,it should stick if i lightly sand the pipe.I dont see why coralline wouldnt grow ,it grows on glass so i dont see a problem,but to be on the safe side i will ask on the reef chemisty forum on another big site.