please explain a wet/dry filter system

flower

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3298161
Flower this is what I am talking about
Attachment 245463

Well it sure isn't what I was looking at. That looks allot bigger, I can see how you created a refugium in it. So what do you think of the fancy canister wet/dry thing I found? Should I get it or pass?

meowzer

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3298167

Well it sure isn't what I was looking at. That looks allot bigger, I can see how you created a refugium in it. So what do you think of the fancy canister wet/dry thing I found? Should I get it or pass?
I'd pass....BUT ....why do you want it? You just got a in tank fuge, you have 2 canisters, a new skimmer....are you having an issue?

novahobbies

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3298168
I'd pass....BUT ....why do you want it? You just got a in tank fuge, you have 2 canisters, a new skimmer....are you having an issue?
....or is it for a new tank?
BTW Flower the one you are looking at is the "Mark II" of the one I have!! That's the Tom Aquatics Rapids Pro wet/dry, right? Yep.... I have the older blue one on my seahorse tank. The biggest difference between the one you're looking at and the one I have is the built-in skimmer. I know the one you're looking at is a newer design with a venturi-style skimmer....mine is a laughable, USELESS aristone style skimmer that never did a single effin' thing.
Be that as it may, the filter as a whole is actually pretty good! Here was my initial setup mini-review of the filter:
Originally Posted by Novahobbies

"Many many thanks have to go to Teresa who kindly sold me her TOM aquatics PS3 filter and a spare light for an extremely reasonable price. The filter has gotten mixed reviews in the past, but I'm fairly certain it will do a good job in this size tank. This thing is sort of a cross between a sump and a canister filter, with a mediocre protein skimmer thrown in for looks. The surface overflow functions like most CPR units, siphoning down through filter floss, a carbon pad, bioballs, and a cartridge for sintered glass rings or live rock. After setting up the filter I can totally see how some beginners may have difficulties with this filter....it's not the most intuitive device in the world. The aqualifter works well to keep the overflow clear of air, and it seems to perform correctly when the power is interrupted. The grea thing about this filter for me was that it's narrow enough to fit inside the stand, so it keeps the clutter down to a low roar.
Speaking of roars, however, I'll probably be replacing the spaflex-style tubing that came with this. The water rushing through the corrugated pipes makes a somewhat loud shushing sound that, while initially peaceful, seems to get louder the longer you stay in the room. In short, it's distracting. It's the only part of the filter that makes any signifigant noise, and it's nice that it's such an easy thing to replace. I haven't bothered to start the protein skimmer up yet......there's not much to skim even if I wanted to at this point!"
If you go to my Seahorse Mockup Thread you can see pictures of the set up filter on page 2.
If you want this for a new tank, then yes I'd recommend it - but only for something like a 75g at the max, despite the grand claims made by the manufacturer. If you want if for your existing tank then I'd have to agree with Meowey - why do you need another filter?

flower

I have no skimmer running at the moment, The huge coralife did nothing but kick out microbubbles. The little silly one on the HOB doesn't skim at all. I like the flow and the carbon I can whip in and out so it does what I wanted it for.
My nitrates are back and up to 40, nothing seems stressed. My sea fan isn't as open as usual. My Phospahtes are at .05 I have started weekly water changes because I don't have a skimmer.
So I was thinking of changing my whole filter system, and would like to have a refugium...another thread...no room for a regular sump under the cabinet...so I have been looking around to see what I can find.
The tank is fine, I’m just not happy with the filter system because I wanted to try some SPS coral but my nitrates which have been at 20 for many years are too high for those.

meowzer

OK....Look into the setup like I showed you.....they are not big and I bet you can find one that will fit under your tank

flower

Originally Posted by novahobbies
http:///forum/post/3298184
....or is it for a new tank?
BTW Flower the one you are looking at is the "Mark II" of the one I have!! That's the Tom Aquatics Rapids Pro wet/dry, right? Yep.... I have the older blue one on my seahorse tank. The biggest difference between the one you're looking at and the one I have is the built-in skimmer. I know the one you're looking at is a newer design with a venturi-style skimmer....mine is a laughable, USELESS aristone style skimmer that never did a single effin' thing.
Be that as it may, the filter as a whole is actually pretty good! Here was my initial setup mini-review of the filter:
If you go to my Seahorse Mockup Thread you can see pictures of the set up filter on page 2.
If you want this for a new tank, then yes I'd recommend it - but only for something like a 75g at the max, despite the grand claims made by the manufacturer. If you want if for your existing tank then I'd have to agree with Meowey - why do you need another filter?

How hard is it to do maintenance on? The Cascade and fluval have release valves so I don't have to mess with the hoses, does that have anything like that on it? Do I remove the media just like a regular canister?

flower

Lots of lightening here so I am going to turn off my computer for now and check back when the storm passes..

novahobbies

http:///forum/post/3298195

How hard is it to do maintenance on? The Cascade and fluval have release valves so I don't have to mess with the hoses, does that have anything like that on it? Do I remove the media just like a regular canister?
It's not hard at all - in fact, in that regard it's like a trickle filter the most. Turn off the return pump, open the lid to the filter (the hoses are not connected to the lid, so you don't ever have to touch them), lift out each basket and replace or clean as needed. I like the fact that my bioballs are contained in the square bucket; when I clean them I use the bucket to transfer them from one tub to another. No muss, no fuss.
BUT...... from the sounds of things, I think you're better off looking at what Meowzer showed you. I have NO idea if the skimmer in the new Tom Aquatics filter is any good..the old one on mine is totally useless. You could also look at a Marineland biowheel sump. They're not large and there's room for a Marineland Pro 100 skimmer. I don't use their sump, but I bought their skimmer and it's very effective. How much room is under your tank?

flower

http:///forum/post/3298200
It's not hard at all - in fact, in that regard it's like a trickle filter the most. Turn off the return pump, open the lid to the filter (the hoses are not connected to the lid, so you don't ever have to touch them), lift out each basket and replace or clean as needed. I like the fact that my bioballs are contained in the square bucket; when I clean them I use the bucket to transfer them from one tub to another. No muss, no fuss.
BUT...... from the sounds of things, I think you're better off looking at what Meowzer showed you. I have NO idea if the skimmer in the new Tom Aquatics filter is any good..the old one on mine is totally useless. You could also look at a Marineland biowheel sump. They're not large and there's room for a Marineland Pro 100 skimmer. I don't use their sump, but I bought their skimmer and it's very effective. How much room is under your tank?

It's Sabbath and I'm not allowed to measure...I think if memory serves it is 22 inches tall inside, but the doorway is only 19, there are two doors to the stand. Sigh, I got the stand, canopy and 90g tank for $400.00 new, so I got what I paid for. On one side I have a 10g tank to hold my top off water for the ATO...that leaves 20 inches on the other side.
Right now I have two canister filters side by side and they just fit. When the new year comes and I have some tax return money I am going to set up a display refugium tank, that should be fun and I’m looking forward to it, in the mean time I have set up a little in the tank refugium and growing some algae for the tangs to enjoy. I need to hire someone to build a stand tall enough so the tank and fuge are side by side.
The skimmer problem is driving me to tears. The only ones that are of any use it seems are sump skimmers, the HOB are all trash. I had hopes of this wet/dry canister type with a skimmer already in there would solve the problem, it is small enough to fit and I would just replace my canisters. Now I'm told not for anything larger than a 75g...so that just won't do unless I keep one canister off to the side outside of the stand, and when I get the refugium place the canister in that stand.

novahobbies

http:///forum/post/3298270

It's Sabbath and I'm not allowed to measure...I think if memory serves it is 22 inches tall inside, but the doorway is only 19, there are two doors to the stand. Sigh, I got the stand, canopy and 90g tank for $400.00 new, so I got what I paid for. On one side I have a 10g tank to hold my top off water for the ATO...that leaves 20 inches on the other side.
Right now I have two canister filters side by side and they just fit. When the new year comes and I have some tax return money I am going to set up a display refugium tank, that should be fun and I’m looking forward to it, in the mean time I have set up a little in the tank refugium and growing some algae for the tangs to enjoy. I need to hire someone to build a stand tall enough so the tank and fuge are side by side.
The skimmer problem is driving me to tears. The only ones that are of any use it seems are sump skimmers, the HOB are all trash. I had hopes of this wet/dry canister type with a skimmer already in there would solve the problem, it is small enough to fit and I would just replace my canisters. Now I'm told not for anything larger than a 75g...so that just won't do unless I keep one canister off to the side outside of the stand, and when I get the refugium place the canister in that stand.
...Yes it is. Shabbat Shalom!
Can you find any reviews for the new Tom Aquatics filter? Put it this way: if I KNEW that the protein skimmer was up to snuff, I'd risk it. Otherwise I'm not so sure.
I'm sorry, I just wouldn't want you to buy yet another thing that might not work. I'm looking for reviews on it now.
...Also, have you looked at a chemical adsorbent like Purigen? Might help, and you can run it in your canisters.....

flower

http:///forum/post/3298274
...Yes it is. Shabbat Shalom!
Can you find any reviews for the new Tom Aquatics filter? Put it this way: if I KNEW that the protein skimmer was up to snuff, I'd risk it. Otherwise I'm not so sure.
I'm sorry, I just wouldn't want you to buy yet another thing that might not work. I'm looking for reviews on it now.
...Also, have you looked at a chemical adsorbent like Purigen? Might help, and you can run it in your canisters.....

Shabbat Shalom!
Thank's for helping me look. I run purigen all the time, its great stuff! It needs to be replenished but I don't remember how...LOL..when I go back to the LFS I will read a container to refresh my memory. It is either boil it or bleach it...when it turns brown.
I don't want to purchase another piece of crap equipment ether. That's why I want something besides a HOB skimmer.

gill again68

Well with my 90 I decided to move my ATO tank out from under my tank to have more room for the sump. I have a 40 gal breeder under my 90 now. That probably wont fit under yours as my stand was custom built. The sump meowzer showed you is a lot more compact. Get some ideas going on what you will and wont do as far as moving some stuff from out under your tank and then get some good measurements. Let us know what the dimensions are and we can take it from there. You said you had a Coralife skimmer? What model? I have one in my sump and it works great but you have to really work with it to dial in it. The thing is really sensitive to water height and the air intake adjustment. Dont throw it away just yet.

flower

Originally Posted by Gill again68
http:///forum/post/3298303
Well with my 90 I decided to move my ATO tank out from under my tank to have more room for the sump. I have a 40 gal breeder under my 90 now. That probably wont fit under yours as my stand was custom built. The sump meowzer showed you is a lot more compact. Get some ideas going on what you will and wont do as far as moving some stuff from out under your tank and then get some good measurements. Let us know what the dimensions are and we can take it from there. You said you had a Coralife skimmer? What model? I have one in my sump and it works great but you have to really work with it to dial in it. The thing is really sensitive to water height and the air intake adjustment. Dont throw it away just yet.

Take a stroll through the threads here...the Coralife 220 skimmer is trash as a HOB, but very good in a sump. No I didn't toss it out and I'm contemplating putzing with it again to try and get it to work right....I would rather do the constant water changes, that is how frustrated I am with it..it is also too tall to go under the cabinet I have 22 inches top to bottom and this thing is slightly larger than 25 inches tall.
I have a tiny house, most people’s bedrooms are larger than my living room. The 48” tank takes up almost the entire wall. I have a small space where I have my water cooler. That is the future spot for the display refugium I’m planning. The Ballasts must be on a shelf to be safe, so I have a small book case, 8 inch deep next to the tank going into the hall, I keep my test supplies, coral foods and whatnot in the higher shelves. So there is absolutely no room for the ATO tank outside the cabinet. I burst a 2 hour old $70.00 MH bulb trying to do top offs myself, that’s why I got the ATO unit. So it is a keeper, and I love it. 3gs of top off water over my head each day is a pain.
I always went bigger than what I need. I only have a 90g tank and the skimmer is for a tank up to over 200g, now I have been told that a skimmer that is too big can’t skim right in a smaller tank, I don’t know if that is true. I do know it makes lots and lots of tiny bubbles, so many that my tank looks like the inside of a skimmer….that can’t be good. When I get rid of the bubbles I get a flood. When I get it to not flood and no bubbles it won’t skim a thing, in a solid month I got ¼ cup of gunk in the cup.

novahobbies

I found 1 review for the new Tom Aquatics filter, and thankfully they said that the new protein skimmer works better than the airstone driven skimmer......they just don't say HOW much better.
Can you take the 10g tank and rotate it so the long end is facing the sides of the display tank? I think it would hang over the rear edge an inch or two, but that's not a big deal for a 10g tank. If you did that you'd be able to sneak a few more inches out of the stand for your filter.
Sigh...gotta run - two kids' birthday parties this weekend, one this afternoon and one tomorrow morning. So much for the weekend!

flower

http:///forum/post/3298340
I found 1 review for the new Tom Aquatics filter, and thankfully they said that the new protein skimmer works better than the airstone driven skimmer......they just don't say HOW much better.
Can you take the 10g tank and rotate it so the long end is facing the sides of the display tank? I think it would hang over the rear edge an inch or two, but that's not a big deal for a 10g tank. If you did that you'd be able to sneak a few more inches out of the stand for your filter.
Sigh...gotta run - two kids' birthday parties this weekend, one this afternoon and one tomorrow morning. So much for the weekend!

Have fun at the parties, they are young for such a short time!
Thanks for the idea, I can do that!