Possible mouth disease/fungus?

I received 2 blue hippo tangs about 2 weeks ago from an order, the smaller of the 2 has been perfect. The larger on the other hand has not been so lucky, at first it had white ish bumps and was itching a lot, i figured it was ich or a parasite of some sort. He got better from that, though now he has a white mouth and its rigid looking. Pictures are the best i could get of like 50, hippos are quite active. I've researched a bit and from what im hearing if its a mouth fungus it seems they're quite contagious and fatal?
Any easy fixes? I'm going to start with some fresh garlic tomorrow, I have a qt tank but am hoping I don't have to move to that. Not sure adding medicine to my dt will probably disturb my flounder(very sensitive) and nem.
It's a 55g parameters are spot on been up and running for bout a year, tangs added 2 weeks ago. tank mates include 2 ocellaris clowns, 2 engineer gobys, 1 flounder, 1 emerald crab, 2 blue hippos
I understand hippos are very very prone to diseases, should i not stress over this or take it to the ER
Ugh pictures are terrible, sorry
Thanks, Eric

The only remotely close thing i saw in Beth's disease post is HLLE. Doesn't look much like it but could be the start of it or something similar? Here is a picture of a fish that has what my fish has
Again, this is not my fish, but this is what it looks like on my fish.
Thanks, Eric

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Ich will return, so you need to start thinking about what to do about it.
Describe the mouth situation. Is it bumpy or does it look like missing skin, etc.? Is the fish nipping at corals?
Do you have a quarantine tank?

I do have a qt. Its hard to tell if its bumps im looking at or if its skin thats peeled away and its little teeth. Im pretty confident its skin thats peeled away, doesnt seems like it has any lips left. The hippo isnt showing any signs or stress. Currently a FOWLR so no coral issues. Doesnt bother my one gbta. Eats regularly and abundantly.
Thanks, eric

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using a magnifying glass to look at that? It may be the beginning of HLLE. What is your nitrate level?

Water Parameters are spot on. nothing but perfect. After a closer look im pretty sure it bumps on the lips, still debatable though. Fish shows no sign of sluggishness. Chases the other tang around (which im not pleased about). Seems to be eating fine, tried some garlic in with the food but they didn't find it very appetizing. Although it appears the think that the emerald crab is going to clean him? It goes up to the emerald crab and lays down and waits for the crab to start to pick stuff off of it.
Thanks, Eric

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure I've ever heard of a emerald crab cleaning. Is he "cleaning" in the mouth area?

Haha no, on his lower belly, i doubt he is cleaning. but whatever he is doing the tang loves it! he doesn't give him a minute of his own time!
Tang is looking much better today, bumps on upper lip have started to diminish and he's began to eat some garlic. Lookin' good!
Thanks, Eric