Reducing Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate

They gave me some of those today. I got them in the filter where the carbon goes for fresh water aquariums. The wet/dry filter is a Emperor 400, Emperor 280, and a wet Aquaclear 30, and Aquaclear 20. Should this help out a lot?
Also, they gave me a mesh bag, should I keep them in the mesh bag or use the casing that came with the filter?????? It came out of there saltwater system.

fbm

It should help, but how big is your tank? That will depend on how much help it will help. You have a very huge stock list. I have 7 fish total in a 72 gallon, that were added 2 at a time at least 2 weeks apart usually a month apart. It is a very fragile ecosystem that you are creating and it just can't be done safely unless done slowly if you know what I mean.
But again how big is your tank?

I have roughly 100lbs of live cured rock already (it's the rock they keep in water). I also have live sand, crushed coral, and carrib sand.
As for the light, I have a 130 watt Aqualight.
For the fish, I have several different kinds...2 tangs, 2 clown (nemo) fish, small angel fish, salt water mollies, and 2 others that I can't recall their names.
More information from a previous post:
Filters: Emperor 400 and Emperor 280, Aquaclear 30 and Aquaclear 20, and a prizm skimmer deluxe.
Heater is set on 78 degrees
I used Bio-Sphere cycling chemical which is suppose to allow you to put fish in the tank on the next day. I've also used Cycle in there.
My readings are not "off the charts," but enough of a concern to where I hope I can get it through the cycling process faster, and reduce the levels, before the new coral/reefs/fish/inverts come in. I don't have any reefs/corals/or inverts yet.
Thanks for your understanding and assistance.

fbm

You should stop this order before they ever send it. Noway possible this will work. Most everything will die, no way around it. Tank way too small for all this.
Just my opinion, sorry if this upsets you but I am just being honest with you.

Originally Posted by fbm
You should stop this order before they ever send it. Noway possible this will work. Most everything will die, no way around it. Tank way too small for all this.
Just my opinion, sorry if this upsets you but I am just being honest with you.

Thanks....I will try to cancel the order. I appreciate your help. Which will be more likely to die...the fish, coral, reefs, or inverts???

S

suv

I'm no expert, but that seems like waaaayyyyyyy too many fish to me, also I dont think you can have a basslet and a gramma together in the same tank. :scared:

alyssia

Originally Posted by SUV
I'm no expert, but that seems like waaaayyyyyyy too many fish to me, also I dont think you can have a basslet and a gramma together in the same tank. :scared:

Way,way,way too many fish. And fish that are too big for a 90.

fbm

Everything is just as likely to die in this case. Nothing will survive under these conditions. You are talking about having 50 people living in a 2 bedroom house. Just can't be done.

fbm

Also if you want coral in your tank that will limit how many fish you want to have. Some will tell you that I have too many fish in my tank with the amount of coral I am planning on having, and maybe I do but I will see later on down the line. Most of the reef tanks I see have few fish in them.

fbm

What you need to do is add very slowly and get to know your system, over the next year to year and a half keep adding and testing you water. You will then get to know what you can add and how much you can add safely. Then you will be able to answer that question because no 2 setups are identical even with identical setups.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by sebae09
theirs a thing called 48hour safe cycle, ive used it with success
Salt water aquariums can't have the nitrogen cycle balanced out in 48 hours..
The lighting you have isn't sufficient for light intensive corals. Also, many corals such as anemones need well established, aged tanks to survive.
Your fish are not going to be compatible and you've ordered way too many. Cancel the order, keep doing water changes every day, upgrade your lighting, take out the CC, and wait 6 weeks or so before you begin to add ANYTHING else.

fbm

If for whatever reason you can't cancel the order you may want to think about making other arrangements for this stuff. Your cleanup crew you could probably keep if you are willing to supplement there feeding for sometime, maybe with sheet algea. And I would only keep a couple of fish at the most, definately get rid of the mandarins becaue there will not be enough for them to eat for at least 6 months as they mostly eat pods that will take time to grow. Maybe make arrangements with other saltwater owners that you know or trade the stuff in at a LFS.

cdangel0

And the hawaiin puffer will just belly up to the smorgasborg of corals you're putting him in there with.
This is the equivalent of putting a basket of chocolate bars out at a weight-watchers convention.

Thanks for all of your assistance. I wrote an email, and changed my order to the following:
Green ChromisFish
Leather - ToadstoolCoral
Mushroom Polyp - Green RicordeaCoral
Pink Tip Haitian AnemoneCoral
Royal GrammaFish
Lyretail Anthias - MaleFish
Lyretail Anthias - FemaleFish
Powder Blue TangFish
Naso TangFish
Bluehead WrasseFish
Hawaiian Blue PufferFish
Cleaner ShrimpInvert
Cleaner ClamInvert
Queen Conch - AquaculturedInvert
Fighting Conch - AquaculturedInvert
Is this better??? Please advise.
Thanks again.

S

suv

Personaly I would cancle the entire orderand wait for you tank to cycle, the number one key to salwater aqariums is patience. How long has your tank been going?