Saltwater fish in Walmart

dartman

I went to Casper Wyoming today to get some groceries and there in the super walmart was a whole section dedicated to saltwater and cichlids. I visited 3 pet shops and none carried MH or PC lighting but SUPER Walmart did!. That section of the store was closed so I didn't see any prices of the fish or equipment. But they have a 200 gallon display tank lots of other saltwater tanks, and Live rock with MH lights hovering over it.

brucoh

WOW! I sure hope they have someone there that knows how to take care of them. All the walmarts I've ever been too have horrible fish departments. Usually at least one dead fish floating in each tank. At their prices, I'd buy equipment from them, but I still wouldn't trust the livestock.

saltfan

Originally Posted by dartman
I went to Casper Wyoming today to get some groceries and there in the super walmart was a whole section dedicated to saltwater and cichlids. I visited 3 pet shops and none carried MH or PC lighting but SUPER Walmart did!. That section of the store was closed so I didn't see any prices of the fish or equipment. But they have a 200 gallon display tank lots of other saltwater tanks, and Live rock with MH lights hovering over it.
:scared: :scared: :scared: I wouldn't get a fish from them, or even given to me, go into my tank...NO WAY! ! ! Maybe the equipment, but never the fish.

phixer

Its a gamble in that situation, you might get some serious fatalities. But if the return policy is good you also might be able to score some good deals if you QT and keep a close eye on them before introducing to the tank. I mean you could get some nice fish dirt cheap, if they die return them. Dont expect anyone there to know what they are talking about professionally.

zanoshanox

Hmmm...None of the walmarts around my area even carry any fish...lol. But I know they have gained a bad rep. I'm not sure if I would trust their fish. If I were you, I would observe their tanks a little bit. How were their prices on the lighting?

alyssia

Originally Posted by SaltFan
:scared: :scared: :scared: I wouldn't get a fish from them, or even given to me, go into my tank...NO WAY! ! ! Maybe the equipment, but never the fish.

Agreed!

dartman

I'm going to call them today and get you guys some prices on equipment and also the fish. I might make another trip if the prices are good enough. I know I never been impressed with the aquariums in walmart BUT these were very nice 50+ gallon acryllic tanks well lit with MH lights. It seem to me that whoever was incharge of that place knew what they were doing, IMO looking through the window.

dartman

I gave Walmart a call and they gave me a diiferent number as opposed to tranferring me. It might be an independent store within superwalmart? I don't know, but for a 135 watt MH with ballast fixture and all was $185 bucks and for same setup with 250 watts was $195 just 10 dollars more. Clown fish started at $17 and they have corals on order. FYI I don't know if these are good deals. The closest LFS to me is in Gillette and they triple the cost of what I can order online.

rednekreef

no offence to walmart...but the walmart employees around here in florida....uh....they are dumber than rocks..and would never get animals from there...LOL no way Jose.