sea hair.

flower

Originally Posted by Mr.clownfish
http:///forum/post/3032375
do they eat hair algae?
does anyone have one? are they easy to care for?
They do indeed eat hair algae...they can poison the tank if they get upset. So read up on them before you get one.
I personally got a Kole Tang to eat my hair algae.

nycbob

i hv never seen a kole tang eat hair algae. maybe there r some that will. on the other hand, the dolebella sea hares from this site definitely eat hair algae. get only 1 per tank, as they can devour all of it within a week. not only r they good at hair algae, but they will also stir ur sandbed clean.

mr.clownfish

WOW im going to get one.
what stresses them out?
i have high flowing water all over my tank... will that annoy them?

nycbob

water flow wouldnt bother it. it is cool looking. i am surprised not more people get them for their reef tank. i hv one in my fowlr and one in my reef.

hammerhed7

They eat hair algae like nobody's business, just be sure to feed algae sheets, or rehome the hare to an algae filled tank to prevent starvation. Also the have a relatively short lifespan from my experience, 12 months or less in my experience. Depending on the species

meowzer

Mine lasted 2 weeks...I had one in the 54g and one in the 225g...believe me there was plenty for them to eat....the one in the 225g got skinny and died
The one in the 54g just died....I put algae sheets in too...who knows

truperc

My 2 cents.
I have a blue dot sea hare. It mowed down my hair algae like nobody's business. (I have heard this is not always the case)
The problem I see is keeping it fed.
When I bought the sea hare the LFS said that it would take it a while to make it through the algae in a 60 G tank.
Surprise Surprise...they were wrong.
IME feeding algae sheets does not always wet their appetite, so keep that in mind.

oceansidefish

I have a dolabella sea hare...IMO that is the best species for any tank. They don't mind flow at all are are just fine in a reef. If you have a decent sized tank them dieing is not really much of a issue. I have found that mine does dissapear on a regular basis...They are nocturnal, he always pops back up though

mr.clownfish

i have way too much. when u look at it its like looking at the back of someones head with long hair. it almost looks like maidens hair. or turtle grass except much darker. i think i could feed a herd of them. lol well maybe one should do it. how much do they cost usually??

nycbob

here, $12.99. at my lfs, $22. the dolabella hare will finish ur tank's hair algae within a week.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Mr.clownfish
http:///forum/post/3037913
i think i have enough for it to last a good while trust me the rocks in my tank look like a forest
So did mine in the 225g
...it actually died before the one in the 54g
I do not know why