setting up shark tank

nmocean

Thanks everyone.
I have worked very hard to accomadate this shark. He is an adult Brownbanded Bamboo Shark, I would NEVER advocate putting a shark in a tank that was too small for the shark long term.
Reefer123- He really is not a very active shark, he mostly sits around and looks pretty. However, he is used to being fed on a schedule, so everyday about 3:00 in the afternoon he starts to get real active, until after he has been fed. He is a shark with all the shark senses though, and if I want to show him off a little, all I need to do is put a little food in the tank and he wakes RIGHT up! The other fish in the tank are a XL Harlequin Tusk, a female Blue Throat Trigger, a juv. Koran Angel, Achilles Tang, male Saddleback Clownfish (I'm sure you read above the female was killed by the shark a few nights ago) and one Blue Damsel (I used to have 3). And, here's the full tank shot for you, although I am not very good at full tank shots.
Konrade- I'm with ya!! We have a 6000 gallon swimming pool that is very tempting to turn into a shark pool (we can always dream)! :joy:
-Jen

reefer123

nmocean, i have a 240 right now that is empty and i cant decide on what to put in it.

could you also tell me all the specs of the tank like lbs of sand and rock, and the filtration set up?
that would be great.

bronco300

if it is ok, may i ask what it cost you to have that setup you do now? estimate...lotto is right, if only, very very beautiful shark!!
what about a pic of your sharky in the garage?

escape2thewater

Wow! Thats awesome! I want one!!! I wonder if he would play nice with my tesse eel??? JK, anyway that is an awesome shark & set up. Thanks for sharing.
Escape
:happyfish

nmocean

Reefer123- This tank is a SystemII, with the built in filter boxes in the back; which I just use as large overflow boxes to my 50 gallon sump. I have about 80 lbs. of sugar fine live sand. I used to have about 250 lbs. of live rock, but as the shark grew he would keep re-arranging it that I am down to about 150 lbs. of rock. To make up for the lack of live rock, I am running 2 Aqua C EV180 protein skimmers and a Red Sea Ozonizer. I am planning to make a pvc frame and attach the remaining rock to the pvc, and hopefully that will fix the sharks rock moving days! I am excited for you. . .an empty 240 holds so many possibilities!! I know I am prejudice, but sharks are my FAVORITE!!
Bronco300- It is hard to say, I have had this tank for a little over 3 years, but over the course; I would have to say 6-7k.
Posted some pics of the juv. female shark in the garage. She is about 18". Good Luck on your lotto!

escape2thewater- Thanks! I think I have seen pictures of your Tesse on this board, and have to say your eel is beautiful!! I am really partial to the Tesselata's!!

bronco300

wow, that female bamboo is awesome!!!!!! what are you planning to do with her, keep her in that pond or eventually move her?

nmocean

Bronco300- She is pretty!! When she is atleast as large as the male, I will move her to the 240 and try to breed the sharks. She will probably be in the pond for a while though, she has to grow about 1'.

mitzel

I love your pond . I had thought of that when we got our shark and knew it would out grow our 125. everybody acted like I was nuts for thinking such a thing would be possible. but you have the proof. just awsome

bronco300

thats will be amazing if they mate, good luck with that, take some more pics anytime, i'm sure others,along with myself will be more than happy to stare:) you ought to try and post a video sometime through google, real easy too.

vejomatic

Originally Posted by Bronco300
you ought to try and post a video sometime through google, real easy too.
ooohhh...how you do that? email me with details...mjc9@uakron(dot)edu
BEAUTIFUL SHARK Nmocean

I will be picking up a 125 this weekend, so aside from the nearly double h20 capacity of reefer123's "empty tank"....you might see me again.

~mc

smoney

Hey, I had a shark egg and it hatched in my tank. One thing I would recommend is to be careful, that the rock work isnt too elaborate just incase you have to move it. My shark went in between the rock and wedged himself in there, and from what I had heard was that they can get stuck and die.
I would Recommend You pick up a book called Aquarium Sharks and Rays, very good book if you got the extra money.
Hope the lil bugger does good, update us with some pics

moraymike

Hi, Jen. It's nice to see someone like yourself keeping sharks. Keep up the great work!

I've got three coral cat sharks that I think are just too cool. They aren't for everyone cuz they don't swim all day long. However, they do get very active around feeding time...

mitzel

I would love to hear how you have the pond set up I just think that would be such a killer thing to have . I was trying to figure out how to filter it . do you use the normal pond filters? or build your own? please do tell us all the cool details.