setting up shark tank

nmocean

MorayMike- Thanks for the very nice compliment. My sharks are my babies. I have long been truly captivated by sharks. To me sharks are magnificent animals that give me chills everytime I see them (even on t.v.)! I have this goal to go see the "flying" Great Whites in South Africa (that would be my trip of a lifetime)! I really am obsessed, I think I may need professional help.
Have any pics of your sharks, I would love to see them!!
Mitzel- I am sorry to say the pond was supposed to be temporary, until she could go into the 240. However, the male has gotten so aggressive, I don't dare put her in the tank until she matches his size! So, I to am planning more filtration on the pond. Currently the pond only has about 75 lbs. of live rock and 2 SEIO water pumps. With my brothers help, I am trying to plumb a skimmer up to the pond. My hope is that in about a year's time she will be able to join the male in the 240. I am really excited about breeding the sharks and will do what it takes to see it through! I did see a member on here, I think his name was Risc, and he posted pictures of a pond he built in his basement and had a Lemon Shark and a Bamboo Shark, so if you wanted something more permanent, that would be a good place to start, he would have to have some awesome filtration!
Bronco300- You know I am not very computer savvy, but if you give me the basics, I'll ask my brother to help, and I'll see what I can do. He is A LOT of fun to watch at feeding time!!
Here is one of my favorite pics of the male shark. I entered it in the photo contest on this site.
-Jen

bronco300

i can imagine it would be amazing to see him feed....so the first thing i need to know, is do you use a digital camera, does it have a movie setting,and can you hook it up to a computer? i'm asssuming you do, but need these to do it te way i know
those sharks are amazing, how bout a ticket to come see them? lol
Luke P

nmocean

Hey Bronco300- I'll show off my sharks anytime!! Yes, I do use a digital camera and it does have a movie setting, and I can hook it up to the computer. I'm on a roll!! If your ever in Nevada, you can come see the sharks and say "Hi". :happyfish
-Jen

bronco300

hmmm, nevada huh, how about Indiana? lol......
now that you have those three taken care of...
To Do:
1)record video
2)load video to your computer
3)convert the file to mpg, or another format accepted if necessary
3b)install converter and convert
4)go to google video and create an account
5)sign in, click upload video tab on top of page
6)install windows,mac, or linux uploader
7) upload video
8)submit info about video
9) wait
this is a bit more detailed info about the above
(3) you will need to check is what type of movie it is...google prefers mpeg....my movies transfer to my computer in a MOV type file...so i convert it to a mpg movie.....if you have mpeg, youre good to go...if you dont know how to tell, just right click on the file and click properties, it should say. google will also accept digital formats such as QuickTime, Windows Media, and RealVideo, but they take longer to be finalized. but anyways, if you need to convert it, you can find a converter online, just type "convert to mpg," or _____(you file type here) convert to mpg." The converter can be free....however depending on who it is, they will probably put a lael in the middle of your video screen. So if you dont want that, you can purchase it for 20 i think....or when you record your video, dont put the sharks etc directly in the center. lol i unfortunately dont have money, google will accept either. OK, now that you have your video recorded and in the right format...now you need to go to google
Google Video
then you will have to create an account...its free, dont worry

once you create your account, sign in, and
you can click on the "upload video" tab on the top of the page
then you will install a windows uploader(or Mac and Linux if needed)--that will enable you to uload your account,
then once that is down and opened, login, and click "add"..
after its loaded, you'll have to add info about the video, etc....once you sign in your account, it'll tell you that you need to. after that it'll go through a pocess to submitt your video...sounds complicated i hope not, but it isnt, i promise! its all self-explanatory when you get to the website.
if any quetsions, go ahead an ask, hope this doesnt sound to difficult, it isnt
Luke

ams153

how quicky would a shark grow from an egg size to full grown.. b/c i have a 75g tank thats setup but nothings in it yet and im thinkin about gettin a shark instead and just getting a bigger tank.. if i decided to do that could you email a good site for buying sharks from to me? i cant seem to find any.. and i love the female bamboo shark i want one that color youve gotten me very interested in this i was gonna do a reef or something but this seems better also what would you say would be a minimum tank for a female bamboo shark? thanx for all the info you seem to know a lot about these and again you got some nice stuff thanks for sharing it
Sanchez

nmocean

ams153- Shark keeping is addicting!! Your 75 gallon would barely be large enough for a newly hatched egg. These sharks hatch at about 6", I would say you would have maybe 6-8 months, before you would need to move the shark to a larger tank (I'm guessing here, it is really hard to say.) Growth rate is highly variable, depending on temperature and how much you are feeding the shark. The warmer the temperature and the more you feed will increase how fast your shark will grow (but keep in mind, overfeeding is really bad for the shark).
When these sharks hatch they are black and white banded, as they mature their colors change. My female is losing her juvenile colors and will eventually take on the same appearance as the adult male. She will more than likely outgrow the male, as the female sharks are usually larger than the males. The Brownbanded Bamboo Sharks can reach lengths of 40". If you plan to keep this shark longterm, I would not put them in anything smaller than a 240 gallon. If I had it to do over, I would have gone with a 300 gallon. In Scott Michael's books he suggests a minimum tank size of 170-180. . .but, in my opinion, that would be to small for these sharks full grown.
If you are still truly interested in keeping sharks, I highly recommend doing lots of research and reading the book "Aquarium Sharks & Rays" by Scott Michael, it is full of excellent information. I love keeping sharks, and would definitely encourage someone to keep them, as long as they are fully aware of the requirements to keep them. It is a big commitment, but a very rewarding one!! Let me know if you still want me to email you a good place to get a healthy shark.
Wishing you the best of luck!! -Jen :happyfish

ams153

i would love for you to email me the place and i have had my 75g setup for almost 6 months completely empty lol and i wa gonna do reef but i i decided against it when i saw yer sharks and i also have a 29g that i finally have a couple seahorse in that were gonna be in the 75g but now there just gonna stay where they are.. i have all the proper filtering for like a 200 gallon tank except for protein skimmers i dont have one at all so if you could recomend a good one or two for a shark i think i can just switch all of my sand and rock over to a bigger tank and id have all id need to set it up without haveing to buy to much new stuff b/c i wanted to go bigger from the beggining so this would be a good reason.. so yea id def be interested in a link if you could thanx a ton
Sanchez

ophiura

PLEASE NOTE:
Out of respect to the owner and operator of this site, PLEASE DO NOT POST OR REQUEST LINKS TO COMPETITORS whether posted here or via email.
IME, the bamboo sharks I worked with from hatching grew to about 14 or more inches within a year. THey can grow very fast, and I do not recommend them being kept long term in a small system. It is one thing to have them in "holding" to grow into a larger system, quite another, IMO, to get one with some plans to hopefully get a larger tank. If you have firm plans and a budget going to get a 180+ tank, then a 75 might be OK short term, otherwise I would hold off on getting one too soon.
NMocean - Beautiful tank and sharks!

nmocean

ams153- I would definitely go with a 240-300 gallon tank, nothing smaller. Even though these sharks are not really active most of the time, they still get big and need room to swim and turn around. As far as skimmers go, I like Aqua C. They have hang on the tank skimmers as well as in sump skimmers that both work well, and they have excellent customer service! I have two Aqua C EV180's on my 240 gallon right now, you need excellent protein skimming on a shark tank, as they are very messy!! Make sure you pick up that book when you get a chance, it will really help you get your tank setup right. Send me your email.
-Jen

moraymike

Originally Posted by ophiura
PLEASE NOTE:

Out of respect to the owner and operator of this site, PLEASE DO NOT POST OR REQUEST LINKS TO COMPETITORS whether posted here or via email.
IME, the bamboo sharks I worked with from hatching grew to about 14 or more inches within a year. THey can grow very fast, and I do not recommend them being kept long term in a small system. It is one thing to have them in "holding" to grow into a larger system, quite another, IMO, to get one with some plans to hopefully get a larger tank. If you have firm plans and a budget going to get a 180+ tank, then a 75 might be OK short term, otherwise I would hold off on getting one too soon.
NMocean - Beautiful tank and sharks!

I'm wondering why swf.com stopped selling sharks???
Yeah, a 75 gallon is a bit small for one of these guys. You might be able to pull it off for a year or so...
:joy:

moraymike

Originally Posted by Nmocean
ams153- Shark keeping is addicting!! Your 75 gallon would barely be large enough for a newly hatched egg. These sharks hatch at about 6", I would say you would have maybe 6-8 months, before you would need to move the shark to a larger tank (I'm guessing here, it is really hard to say.) Growth rate is highly variable, depending on temperature and how much you are feeding the shark. The warmer the temperature and the more you feed will increase how fast your shark will grow (but keep in mind, overfeeding is really bad for the shark).
When these sharks hatch they are black and white banded, as they mature their colors change. My female is losing her juvenile colors and will eventually take on the same appearance as the adult male. She will more than likely outgrow the male, as the female sharks are usually larger than the males. The Brownbanded Bamboo Sharks can reach lengths of 40". If you plan to keep this shark longterm, I would not put them in anything smaller than a 240 gallon. If I had it to do over, I would have gone with a 300 gallon. In Scott Michael's books he suggests a minimum tank size of 170-180. . .but, in my opinion, that would be to small for these sharks full grown.
If you are still truly interested in keeping sharks, I highly recommend doing lots of research and reading the book "Aquarium Sharks & Rays" by Scott Michael, it is full of excellent information. I love keeping sharks, and would definitely encourage someone to keep them, as long as they are fully aware of the requirements to keep them. It is a big commitment, but a very rewarding one!! Let me know if you still want me to email you a good place to get a healthy shark.
Wishing you the best of luck!! -Jen :happyfish
Yeah this is good advice. Scott Michael's book is a must have for shark keepers... It's interesting to me that Jen's pics have generated sooo much interested in bamboos. Just goes to show that the typical "boring" sharks can be very fascinating creatures! Not everyone has to have a blacktip

ams153

ophiura-i was suggesting i get a larger tank now and let it run for a little bit then get the shark ya know just starting in like a 250 gallon bigger if i cn possibly find it though i have yet to see one that big for myself lol but ill try or so cuz as of now i do have the funds to setup a larger tank cuz in the begging that was my plan BUT i wanted to get a 75g cuz i wanted to do reef and i didnt want to get a bigger tank till i filled my 75g so i wouldnt have a huge half empty tank lol and i only requested it b/c this site sells NO sharks and i cant find them on google for sale.. and my local fish store doesnt sell eggs and i kinda want to raise it from an egg i think it would be sooo awsome but sry to offend
Sanchez
oh and lol my email is ams153@yahoo.com
thanx a ton

ophiura

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter if this site sells them or not. So it is still "Please do not request links to other sites (which most likely do sell other saltwater fish, etc) out of respect for the owner and operator of this board."
Just part of the rules I'm afraid.

ams153

i know i know i just dont see how id ever get anything done that way so from now on i wont request any links i guess again sorry for offending
Sanchez :joy:

josh g sharkman

i went and got me a 180 gallon tank with a 50 gal sump and i got two very good powerheads with fiji sand and black sand is that good enough for a bamboo shark and how come you never see alot of rock in shark tanks dose that not throw off the levels i want to set up a very good tank so i can get me a bamboo can any one help me please?? oh and i have 60 pounds of live rock to and t5's and the led moonlights and the halegen lights

josh g sharkman

hi i see you like sharks i love sharks i just spent alot of money on a 180 with a 50 to 55 gal sump with fiji sand and black sand and 60 pounds of live rock and some t5's moonlight leds and halogens and to good power heads do you think that would be a good start for a baby bamboo and if you have the time i have a couple of questions for you?

crimzy

Hey man... did you know that the last post on this thread was about 7 years ago.
A 180 is sufficient for a juvenile bamboo for awhile but you should understand that this would probably be a temporary home... maybe 2-3 years depending on the size. There aren't many rocks in shark tanks because they need a lot of sand space to cruise and lay. If they are laying on or scraping against rocks a lot, it will cause abrasions and then infections.
60 lbs of liverock should be fine and maybe even a bit more if you set it up right. The lights are basically irrelevant. Just be aware that they will tend to be more active at night until they get used to your feeding schedule.
Happy to help if you have more questions...