Shark Pond. Help with ideas.

crypt keeper

I have been playing with the idea for a while now. It would house two sharks. Probably bamboo. A few tangs or other fish for activity and color. I have a couple tanks that I plan on upgrading to a 220 combined or bigger. I need my angels in my life and I know you cannot house the two.
I understand that these sharks dont need huge amount of gallons more so than they require a bigger foot print on a tank. These guys can grow up to 40". I was thinking about doing something that is 8 feet long 4 feet wide and about 2.5 feet deep. I have seen the touching ponds at aquariums. The water isnt deep but there is a ledge the sharks cant jump out of.
The biggest factor is getting them to eat. I have read that they should be put into a smaller tank something like a 75 while still trying to acclimate and get eating.
My main two questions are. I was planning on building the pond myself with that Koi pond liner. Will this work? This a future plan. Very near future. If I can build my own pond with the koi liner the cost will be cut by thousands.
If anybody has done this with a saltwater tank period Id like to know how you did your "overflow" sump and return set up.
Also What is the growth rate of these guys?
Thank you

crimzy

There is a much simpler option that would be good for what you are looking for. Rubbermaid makes a 300 gallon tub that is a circle with a 5 ft diameter. You can build one with a pond liner but then you are going to spend more money and time on the setup then necessary. Also, with heavy liverock, (which is necessary for sharks), you have to worry if they knock it over whether it will puncture the pond liner. If I was going the rubbermaid as the pond, I'd actually have the sump on a stand above the pond, with a drilled overflow feeding the water into the pond, and then the rubbermaid is made with a drain so an external pump is simple to install.

crypt keeper

Thats why I made the thread. Thank you very much crimzy. Would that be good for life with them?
The debate would be that if I put down enough sand that the rock wouldnt have a chance to hit the liner. I dont mind building the "tank". That would be half the fun. I could run a skimmer like that of koi ponds in one corner. That would run down to a Sump set up then the return pumps would be my issue.

bioneck47

Awesome!! So where are you planning on making this pond? Will it be a climate controlled area? I think the liner would work too but you would need lots of sand to build up a nice and thick bed to protect it. Also do you plan on keeping it in the same spot for a long period of time? If so, I'd suggest a brick or plywood design.
Also it's best if you use nothing but external pumps if possible, including your skimmer. I've actually almost made one in the past and have done tons of research on this. I will def. help on this.Good luck!

crimzy

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3035320
Thats why I made the thread. Thank you very much crimzy. Would that be good for life with them?
I believe that it would be an excellent design for them for life. If you compare the circle with a 300 gallon rectangle, the shark would only be able to swim for a moment before hitting the end. The circle design allows the maximum swimming area, IMO.

crypt keeper

What I was thinking about is buliding the platform like a "skeleton". Then wrapping the liner around it as its "skin". Im sure you understand what im saying. The pond would stay where it is for a while. Years. Thats why Im planning this. I dont want it squared off. Id rather it be as rounded off as possible but not be shallow in some area's. I want it the same depth all the way through out.
I have a rough idea of how many gallons, I could be way off, 8'x4'x3' would be with the depth being about 2.5 feet. I'm thinking atleast 500 gallons. Im not worried about the gallons as I am the foot print. I dont want these guys feeling crammed at all.
Id actually use the idea crimzy had for the rubbermaid tub and have my fuge with the skimmer there. If that would work. If not I could get a tank if that would be more practical.
Im just gaining ideas on how this would work best. The wood to build the platform will be cheap. My father has extra Koi pond liner laying around. I could probably build this for $150. Do you think 1 skimmer would work best or two smaller skimmers both being rated at 300 GPH would do the trick as well?

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/3035563
I believe that it would be an excellent design for them for life. If you compare the circle with a 300 gallon rectangle, the shark would only be able to swim for a moment before hitting the end. The circle design allows the maximum swimming area, IMO.

Thats the thing about the liner. It doesnt have a shape. It can be manipulated into any shape you would like. Those tubs are practical. They can be drilled and turned into a tank. Then placed into a plyboard structure.
Riddle me this. Do you think the rubbermaid tub can be cut and have acrylic windows placed in them?

crimzy

http:///forum/post/3035580
Thats the thing about the liner. It doesnt have a shape. It can be manipulated into any shape you would like. Those tubs are practical. They can be drilled and turned into a tank. Then placed into a plyboard structure.
Riddle me this. Do you think the rubbermaid tub can be cut and have acrylic windows placed in them?
I don't think it would be a problem... but if you want to go larger, then you may as well do an entire build. When I first read your post I figured you were looking for something relatively simple that would work well. If you want to build something custom, that would be very cool. I love the round design, though for sharks and rays. Is there any way you could build a plywood pond with a circular design?

crypt keeper

Well I am looking at both designs. If the tub is easier and doesnt cause as many hopps and headaches then it may be the way to. Im def. not counting it out. It is a little more practical. And if it ever needed to be moved it would be the easiest to move. Where Im at is pretty darn permanent. But yeah Id rather it be as round as possible. I dont want them swimming and then bang. Id rather them glide along with the sides. I think that would make it feel more natural.

fishtaco

Just joined but I have found this thread very interesting, I have a greenhouse attached to my house and my wife and I have been talking about doing a large saltwater pond type water feature also.
F.T.

crypt keeper

Yeah. They are cool. They are hardy once established but they cost pennies compared to some of the sharks I have seen. Just like with fish. We started out with cheap easier fish. Then as learned went bigger more expensive. There are only two sharks out there I really like. The horn shark and these guys. I saw a horned shark going for $3000.
If it doesnt work out and I dislike them I will try rays. It should be big enough for both. Im not starting this tomorrow. I want to mess around with a few ideas first on which way to go. Liner or premade tub. Then start it this fall. I still need to research the skimmers, sump design, pumps, plumbing, and most importantly which spot in my basement my girlfriend is going to allow this. She has no choice to let it be built. Just where. hahahaha.

unleashed

well i have seen the pond liners work well for this type of tank but you have to be sure not to use treated wood as the frame set up if it gets wet it can leach back into the system and poison your fish(seen this happen with a koi pond)as for growth rate of a shark ( bamboo) my white spot in less than a yrs time grew from 5 inches to 2 ft.. very fast growers indeed

latinlord

http:///forum/post/3035724
Yeah. They are cool. They are hardy once established but they cost pennies compared to some of the sharks I have seen. Just like with fish. We started out with cheap easier fish. Then as learned went bigger more expensive. There are only two sharks out there I really like. The horn shark and these guys. I saw a horned shark going for $3000.
If it doesnt work out and I dislike them I will try rays. It should be big enough for both. Im not starting this tomorrow. I want to mess around with a few ideas first on which way to go. Liner or premade tub. Then start it this fall. I still need to research the skimmers, sump design, pumps, plumbing, and most importantly which spot in my basement my girlfriend is going to allow this. She has no choice to let it be built. Just where. hahahaha.

You should purchase bamboo eggs! they are only like 65 bucks... get a few b/c some won't make it... Also hornsharks iv seen for 300 not 3000... but not sure where you looking around... Bamboos are like 125 near me also.. already out of the egg... Really sharks are cheaper than you would think..haha the actual structure of where to keep them is where the real $$ is at...haha

crypt keeper

I can get medium sized bamboos for under $100 that are already eating. Im not dicking around with eggs or babies. They die. I'm not spending x amount to watch them die. Bamboos are "starter" sharks also.
I want something like this

runn3rb3an

I've never seen a pond like this befor but what would be the advantage of just having the fish in a tub? wouldnt they be hard to see? Whats wrong with a tank? sorry if its a noobish question but this is the first time ive ever seen this
thanks

crypt keeper

you can do a huge tank for a fraction of rthe cost. I have been talking to some people. Pool people in general. Im trying to see if I can put plexiglass panels on the side as viewing windows.

toomanytoys

i am definitely switching gears and will build one rather than buy a big expensive tank, love the idea

isnt there a in ground pool liner that is spray in ?