Should I add Copepods?

tirtza

My aquarium is exactly 5 months & 1 week old. I started with a combo of live rock, dry rock, live sand, and dry sand. I'm thinking about adding some copepods to the aquarium. I've tried finding them and can't seem to see any? I've used a flash light at night, but I haven't had much luck. It's possible they are there and my eyesight is just bad. Is it possible that my 2 big hermits or Firefish, or 2 clown fish have been eaten the population? It's a 29 gallon FOWLR with 3 small fish, a cleaner shrimp, a peppermint shrimp and a bunch of snails.
My LFS carries live copepods (they come in a bottle, but I'm not sure what type copepods they are or what brand/company they come from). I've read that copepods are a good part of the little eco-system and I'm thinking of adding some. What do you think? Bad idea or good idea? Am I just waisting money or actually providing something good to the aquarium? Additionally, I don't have a refugium and I don't really want to culture them myself.

btldreef

It can't hurt to add them. If the LFS pods are Reef Nutrition Tigger Pods, these won't work. They're great for feeding, but will not live long term in warmer water.

tirtza

Awesome! I'll find out what kind they are first before I decide to purchase. Any advice on how to add them? I'm sure they'll need to be acclimated correct? There are probably some directions on the bottle....however if you've done this before then some advice couldn't hurt :)

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirtza http:///t/389504/should-i-add-copepods#post_3442927
Awesome! I'll find out what kind they are first before I decide to purchase. Any advice on how to add them? I'm sure they'll need to be acclimated correct? There are probably some directions on the bottle....however if you've done this before then some advice couldn't hurt :)
I've never done it, but def. turn the lights off before you put them in...... and keep them off for a few hours after that.

S

smallreef

Yeah the reef pods you get from your LFS usually come out of the fridge,, they are more for feeding and normally will not live lone enough to seed your tank...
I know you dont have a fuge but you can get copepods to reproduce in your tank if you dont have any voracious pod eaters.. (and you may not actually have ever had any in your tank to start with)

tirtza

I'll have to take a look and see where they LFS actually keeps there pods. The one time I asked about them at the store the guy showed me a bottle. I didn't notice where he got it from or what type of pods the were.
I don't think I have any voracious pod eaters (like a Mandarin).... I only have a couple of clown fish and a Fire Fish Goby. Where would you suggest I buy some and how would I get the copepods to reproduce?

mr. limpid

The pods that are in the LFS (in the fridge) are usually tigger, I've tried them (tiny red bugs) they grow to about 1/8" then die off, waste of money. You can get the ones that will reproduce from this site SW tisbe pods and there on sale $15.99.

S

saxman

The reason Tigriopus californicus "dies out" is because it's a temperate water species that doesn't reproduce well above about 68*F...am inordinate number og males are born at warm temps, so they just fizzle out.
If you can find some Tisbe sp., they will reproduce well for you. Another thing you can do to boost pod production is to add live phyto to the tank. Don't add Nannochloropsis tho, as the cells have such a thick wall, nothing can digest them (you can even freeze them and they'll live). Stick with Tetraselmis or Isochrysis
..."if you feed them, they will grow".

1guydude

I rarely feed my tanks phytoplankton, just because im afraid of adding to much phosphates...
Feed it once a month imo!

S

saxman

I like Phyto 2 as they come packed in sterile SW with no fertilizer at all...you pretty much can't overdose your tank with the stuff.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///t/389504/should-i-add-copepods#post_3443366
The reason Tigriopus californicus "dies out" is because it's a temperate water species that doesn't reproduce well above about 68*F...am inordinate number og males are born at warm temps, so they just fizzle out.
If you can find some Tisbe sp., they will reproduce well for you. Another thing you can do to boost pod production is to add live phyto to the tank. Don't add Nannochloropsis tho, as the cells have such a thick wall, nothing can digest them (you can even freeze them and they'll live). Stick with Tetraselmis or Isochrysis
..."if you feed them, they will grow".
+1, great advice!

tirtza

Yep, the pods they sell at my LFS are Reef Nutrition Tigger-Pods. I'm glad that I checked with you guys before I waisted any money on them

I found the Tisbe sp. on on the SW site, thanks for the recommendation!

shista

what i do when i add them is submerge the bottle and squirt in near small crevices of LR that seem like a good reproduction area.... i have dumped them in many times but i believe some of them get caught up in filters etc...

xcali1985

Ive added mine to my tank during the feeding, I too put the bottle right up against the rocks and squirt directly into them. I leave the pumps off for 10 minutes after to allow for them to settle. I also squeeze 1/2 of it into the refugium. They are easily seen on my glass even during the day. OVERPOPULATION! However, I have a mandarin and 2 wrasses so as many as I can possibly get.
A nice macro algae in your sump will also assist in increasing pod population.

tirtza

Quote:
also squeeze 1/2 of it into the refugium.
ahhhh...I wish I had a refugium! From what I understand they are a wonderful method of filtration. Unfortunately I am completely clueless when it comes to building stuff. Are there places that make/sell them?? If so, what would the cost be?
Quote:
They are easily seen on my glass even during the day. OVERPOPULATION!
Wow, I never see any! I definitely need to add some. Does an overpopulation of pods cause any problems?
Quote:
A nice macro algae in your sump will also assist in increasing pod population.
I have a wet/dry filtration system in the Biocube, wouldn't the micro algae in the sump just die with out any light?

spanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirtza http:///t/389504/should-i-add-copepods#post_3452516
ahhhh...I wish I had a refugium! From what I understand they are a wonderful method of filtration. Unfortunately I am completely clueless when it comes to building stuff. Are there places that make/sell them?? If so, what would the cost be?
Check out the CPR Aquafuges, a hang on the tank. Nice unit. You can also fabricate a fuge in the second chamber of the biocube.
Wow, I never see any! I definitely need to add some. Does an overpopulation of pods cause any problems?
Nope.
I have a wet/dry filtration system in the Biocube, wouldn't the micro algae in the sump just die with out any light?
Yup gotta add a light

S

smallreef

Yeah like Spanko said you have to add a light,, if its a cube you can look for a submersible light to go in the chamber