Snail Species (Photos and Descriptions)

mudplayerx

Snail Species, their descriptions, and photos
This listing was created to be a tool in aiding the hobbyist in identifying the various species of commonly encountered marine snails in the aquarium. The listing will initially be alphabetical, but this will obviously change in time as new species are added.
The photos provided can be used to help identify the species of snail that you have, but please keep in mind that various subspecies can have a wide array of different markings. Regardless the shell shape and mantle should be very similar among subspecies. The photos in this listing are of the most commonly encountered subspecies.
The descriptions are generally limited to where the snail comes from, the conditions of its habitat, what it eats, and if it is reef safe. Keep in mind that the water conditions provided are for the maximum lifespan of the snail (which should be your goal). They may survive in conditions above or below the range, but at a cost of the length of time that they will live.
If there are any errors, please contact me via email. Please DO NOT post corrections on this page. My email is mudplayerx@aol.com.
Please feel free to add information you feel may be helpful. Also feel free to add a species of snail if it is not covered in this listing. Please do the following (include where it is from, its habitat, what it eats, and at least one photo)
Thanks!
Mark Werenczuk

mudplayerx

ABALONE (haliotis sp.)
Family: Haliotidae
Range: Indo-Pacific
Size: Up to 3 inches
Diet: Microalgae, Macroalgae, Bacteria, Diatoms
Reef Safe: Yes
Temperature: : 64 - 75ºF
Specific Gravity: 1.023 - 1.026
pH: 8.1 - 8.4
Care Level: Moderate
Notes
Requires a 50 gallon or larger tank. Will not tolerate changes in salinity and require higher specific gravity 1.025+ for long-term survival. Make sure that you acclimate them very slowly (2+ hours). Never remove an abalone from the tank glass or live rock, as they will damage themselves before releasing the surface.

mudplayerx

ASTRAEA SNAIL (Lithopoma spp. & Astraea spp.)
Family: Astraeinae
Range: Caribbean
Size: Up to 4 inches, most around 1 inch
Diet: Microalgae, Macroalgae, Diatoms
Temperature: : 72 - 78ºF
Specific Gravity: 1.023 - 1.025
Care Level: Easy
Notes
These snails are identified by their conical shells that may or may not have spikes. They have two large tentacles on each side of their head and numerous smaller, sensory tentacles along each side of the snail.
Do not stock more than one of these snails per 15-20 gallons of water or they may starve. Supplemental algae can be provided by means dry algae sheets purchased at the supermarket.

mudplayerx

BUMBLE BEE SNAIL (Engina (Pusiostoma) mendicaria)
Family: Buccinidae
Size: Up to ½ inch
Diet: Omnivore
Reef Safe: Monitor
Notes
This snail may not be reef safe. Certain species have been known to cannibalize other snails. All species will consume beneficial worms in the sandbed.

mudplayerx

CERITH SNAIL
Family: Cerithiidae
Range: All oceans, but mostly Mexico
Size: Up to 1½ inches
Diet: Microalgae, detritus, sediments, possibly cyanobacteria
Notes
Need a deeper sand bed, but other than that are tolerant of various water conditions. Cerith snails can be found all over the aquarium; across the glass and rocks and underneathe the sand. They can bury themselves and remain hidden for days. Another odd behavior of the cerith is to climb above the waterline of the tank.

mudplayerx

COLLONISTA sp. (Mini-Turbo Snails)
Family: Turbinidae
Size: Up to 1/4"
Diet: Microalgae, diatoms
Notes
These snails are almost exclusively introduced into the tank as a hitchhiker on live rock. However, once they become established it is not uncommon for them to breed and multiply; completely eliminating the need for other snails.
This highly beneficial snail can be easily identified by its very small size and a distinctive pit in its operculum.
Care must be taken if you have a proliferation of these in your tank. Due to their small size they can become stuck in pump intakes, and can cause auto-topoff systems to get stuck in the "on" position.

mudplayerx

EGG COWRIE (ovula ovum)
Family: Cypraeidae
Diet: Soft Corals
Reef Safe: No
Notes
Although frequently sold, the egg cowrie is not suitable for most reef tanks. With an exclusive diet of soft corals, the egg cowrie will most likely devour your reef and then slowly starve to death. They can be kept in very large tanks with an abundance of fast-growing soft corals.
Egg cowries are sometimes prey to starfish, large snails, and large hermit crabs, so care must be taken when kept with these animals.

mudplayerx

MARGARITA SNAIL
Family: Trochacea
Range: Eastern Pacific
Size: Up to ½ inch
Diet: microalgae, diatoms, cyanobacteria
Reef Safe: See notes
Temperature: : Below 70ºF
Notes
The margarita snail is native to cooler waters and will die in a few weeks or months when kept in the average reef tank.

mudplayerx

MEXICAN RED FOOT SNAIL (norrisia norrisii) (Norris Top Shell, Red Foot Moon Snail, or Red Foot Moon Algae Snail)
Family: Trochidae
Range: Mexico
Size: Up to 2"
Diet: microalgae, macroalgae
Notes
This snail needs plenty of algae. A minimum of 20 gallons per snail with an equivalent amount of live rock is probably best. These snails are particularly sensitive to poor water conditions, especially nitrates. They will generally hide and slowly starve in a system with elevated nitrates.

mudplayerx

Nassarius Snail (Nassarius variegatus)
Family: Nassariidae
Range: all coastal areas
Size: Up to 1"
Diet: Scavengers, mostly meaty foods
Notes
This snail buries itself in the sand and can remain unseen for days. It is entertaining to watch the snails erupt from the sand when food falls to the bottom of the tank or the sand is disturbed. The nassarius has a very distinct siphonal canal characteristic to its species.
This snail will not help clean up detritus or eat algae. Hermit crabs will kill and eat this species.

mudplayerx

NERITE SNAIL
Family: Neritidae
Range: Caribbean, Pacific Ocean
Size: Up to 1"
Diet: microalgae
Specific Gravity: 1.020 - 1.025
Notes
Has a tendency to go above the waterline. This is normal behavior.

mudplayerx

TIGER COWRIE (Cypraea tigris)
Family: Cypraeidae
Size: Up to 4 inches
Diet: Microalgae, Macroalgae, possibly hair algae
Temperature: : 72 - 80ºF
pH: 8.0 - 8.3
Notes
These snails require large tanks (100 gallons or more). They grow very large and are prone to knocking over unsecured corals and live rock formations.
May live 10 years or more if not starved to death as they are in most aquariums. Does not tolerate poor water conditions and is easily damaged by rough tankmates. Otherwise a beautiful and useful creature.

mudplayerx

SUNDIAL SNAIL (Architectonica spp., Heliacus spp.)
Family: Architectonicidae
Range: All tropical seas
Size: Up to 2 inches, but most much smaller
Diet: Zoanthids
Reef Safe: No
Temperature: : 68 - 79ºF
Notes
This is a nuisance species and should be eliminated when found. They are typically imported into the tank as hitchhikers on zoanthid colonies (one snail can devour a polyp per night). They can be difficult to spot, as most are tiny and nocturnal.
The are tan/beige, disc-shaped, and typically have a sundial pattern on their back

mudplayerx

TURBO SNAIL (Mexican Turbo Snail, Turban Snail)
Family: Turbinidae
Range: All Seas
Diet: Microalgae, Diatoms
Temperature: : 72 - 82ºF
Notes
The turbo snail is by far my favorite grazer. These large snails are among the fastest moving marine snails and have a voracious appetite. Care must be taken not to overstock them. One snail per 20 gallons is recommended. Turbos need plenty of algae, but will not eat hair algae.
Be sure to secure all corals and pieces of live rock before introducing turbo snails into the tank. Due to the large size and strength of this snail, it has a propensity of knocking things over.

mudplayerx

KEYHOLE LIMPET (Diodora)
Family: Fissurellidae
Range: All seas
Size: Up to 1 inch, most much smaller
Diet: Microalgae, Diatoms
Temperature: : 64 - 84ºF
Specific Gravity: 1.022 - 1.026
Notes
Most limpets are introduced into the tank via live rock. Once established they breed readily. Shortly after being introduced into my tank,literally hundreds could be found all over, from the live rock to the inside of the skimmer. They are nocturnal and hide during the day. They do not traverse the sandbed.
Water enters underneathe the shell and exits through the "keyhole" at the top of the shell. Limpets eat diatoms and microalgae, thus are a great addition to any tank.

mudplayerx

WORM SNAILS (Vermetid)
Family: Vermetidae
Range: All seas
Diet: Particulate matter suspended in water
Temperature: : 64 - 84ºF
Notes
If you've ever seen "spider webs" in your reef tank, then you probably have worm snails, or vermetids. These sessile snails adhere to a surface and build a calcareous tube that steadily gets longer and longer as time goes by. From these tubes they secrete a mucous "net" that they use to catch drifting particulate matter.
While these snails aren't harmful by any means, they can become an unsightly nusiance. They reproduce very quickly in our tanks and can blanket whole areas with their stingy mucous. Removing them is fruitless and can be painful due to the sharp edges of the tubes. Just the other day I had one lodge underneath my fingernail into my flesh.
The calcareous tubes of the species found in our tanks are mostly purple, brown, or reddish. They form a mound at the base of the tube about 1/8" in diameter. The tube itself extends up to about 1/5". The mucous strands and nets are clear and resemble spider webs.
If anyone has a way of getting rid of these for good, let me know. Vermetids greatly reduce the efficiency of pumps due to their tendency to grow in the pipes.

mudplayerx

FIGHTING CONCH (Strombus alatus)
Family: Strombidae
Range: Caribbean
Size: Up to 4 inches
Diet: Microalgae, Macroalgae
Temperature: : 64 - 75ºF
Notes
The fighting conch needs a large tank (100 gallons or more). It needs the entire sandbed to itself or it will starve to death. This includes hermit crabs, which will kill and eat them.
A common mistake made by the hobbyist is to buy a juvenile fighting conch initially. The juveniles will crawl on live rock and glass to eat algae, but as they grow upwards to an inch, they no longer leave the sandbed. This is when the conch usually tragically dies of starvation.
For these reasons, this snail is not suitable for most reef tanks.

S

scoobs

Wow awesome thread!
I am really glad to learn what the KEYHOLE LIMPET (Diodora) is... When i turn my tank lights on i see little ones all over the back of my tank and a see a couple big ones every once in awhile.

alyssia

Great thread Mud, I have a bunch of those bumblebee snails in my reef. I'm wondering if I should move them to my FOWLR.