Spiny Box fish or Porcupine puffer

karajay

Yeah, they're two different fish. I've had no luck trying to find good pics. Maybe somebody will.
If you're trying to decide between the two, I'm partial to the porc. puffer. Loads of personality. :)

cincyreefer

Spiny box fish are not nearly as hardy, but are really cool looking. I would probably recommend the porcupine though.

P

puffygrrl

Spiny Box, A.K.A Burrfish, is a puffer who's spikes are out all the time. Much more active and aggressive than most puffers also. The Porcupine Puffer, A.K.A Blowfish, is the ones you usually see dried and puffed with thier spikes out. When they arn't puffed, their spines lay against their body - very sweet disposition and act like dogs begging for food and eating from your hand.
These two are mixed up name wise a lot! But are very different looking and personality wise.
Chilomycterus schoepfi = Burrfish or Spiny Boxfish
Diodon holocanthus - Porcupine Puffer (make sure it is the holocanthus and not the hysterix - different species)
GOOD LUCK! Puffers are G-g-g-great!

sheracr123

I have had bpth fish, and as Puffygrrl said, the Spiney Box Puffers "spikes" are out all the time. The are also WAY hyper. Mine never stopped swimming back and forth. Here are a couple of pics. The 1st is my Porc.
HTH
Mendee

mattlasvegas

I have a spiny box - aka Chilomycterus schoepfi, and he is a funny little bugger. It is completely true that he is a hyper little guy at times. Sometimes he zooms around my tank like he's got someone chasing him ;-) They are notoriously difficult to get to eat, but I kept him alone in a quarantine tank for a couple of days and threw in some ghost shrimps - not thinking he would go for them, but the next morning only one was left of the original 13 and after that he never stopped asking for food. Strangely enough he doesn't care of anything by dried krill and sometimes a bit of the thawed frozen food, but when I dump in a half-shell clam he just looks stupid at it and stares up at the water line as if he is asking "ok, now can you feed me please - shrimp!!". With respect to his temper, he seems rather docile, and he doesn't seem to peck at snails, doesn't care about large feather dusters or hermit crabs; if the fox face or the niger trigger races into him he just moves out of the way and doesn't attack or anything, so I can't really believe that he is considered more aggressive than the porcupine puffer; I have heard many times that they are more aggressive. Anyways, this little guy is a LOT of fun, but they could be hit or miss, supposedly they can be difficult, so I guess I have been lucky. right now at 2.44am he is buzzing around like his little butt is on fire ;-)

mattlasvegas

Here is another one of him - its hard to take pics of anything in the tank cause he wants to be in the picture - this picture was actually of the polyp behind him but he wouldn't get out of the way (btw his name is Little Puppy Puffer II)