Starfish disolving/melting?

sman

What causes this, my buddy is freaking out, his sand sifting stars legs are getting shorter every day, as if disappearing to no where?

A

alexmir

it is definitely dying. How long has he had it? if its new, it was probably aclimation shock, they have to be aclimated very slowly.
If its older, it most likely starved to death, sand sifting starfish usually always die in a tank because there is not enough food for them to eat. If it is dissolving, i would give it absolutely no chance at living. So i would recommend getting it out of the tank. If it buries itself and dies under the sand then it could cause a large ammonia spike.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by alexmir
http:///forum/post/2842535
it is definitely dying. How long has he had it? if its new, it was probably aclimation shock, they have to be aclimated very slowly.
If its older, it most likely starved to death, sand sifting starfish usually always die in a tank because there is not enough food for them to eat. If it is dissolving, i would give it absolutely no chance at living. So i would recommend getting it out of the tank. If it buries itself and dies under the sand then it could cause a large ammonia spike.
osmotic shock...goner

unleashed

check the cal levels starfish require good calcium levels for survival.. lack of such will cause disintegration

ophiura

As mentioned:
If less than a month: Acclimation shock (or just general low salinity)
If about 6 months to 12 months: starvation
Most of these stars do not survive long term except in very large tanks with lots of mature sand bed.

sman

Hes had it for a year in december, I was thinking starvation maybe. I was thinking about moving him into my fuge of my reef, my system is about twice the size of his and should have plenty of "food" to get him back going(if its possible) till we can find him a new home with a bigger tank. Is this a good idea?

ophiura

It is most likely starvation. It is possible that it will recover if moved, but remember it is eating the "good" things in your sand bed. In addition, many of these stars will basically consume all of their internal organs as they die, now they can regenerate but there is possibly a point of no return. You will want to acclimate as well. It is worth a try if you want to do it...otherwise it is not going to survive almost certainly.