Strange observation of Accepted Cultural practices

stdreb27

Now I'm not condoning this, because it is dumb. There is no way I'd ever do this. But I do find it ironic. That people practice cutting dog tails, and ears. And this is acceptable (not in my eyes). But giving a cat an earing (tail ring and other studs) deserves prosecution...
A Pennsylvania dog groomer has been ordered to stand trial on animal cruelty charges for selling "gothic kittens" with ear, neck and tail piercings.
Holly Crawford's home outside Wilkes-Barre was raided Dec. 17 after the county Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals got a tip.
A prosecutor says Crawford inflicted pain on the cats, which were listed for sale for hundreds of dollars on the Internet. Crawford's attorney says state law says nothing about piercing cats or docking their tails.
At a preliminary hearing Tuesday, Wilkes-Barre District Judge Paul Hadzick called it a gray area that needs to be decided by a trial judge or jury.
Charges against a second defendant, William Blansett, were dropped after Crawford admitted she pierced the cats.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

jackri

I'm sure it would feel a lot better than getting spayed or nuetered.
But when I hear stories like this it just makes me wonder what the world is coming to.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/2960992
I'm sure it would feel a lot better than getting spayed or nuetered.
But when I hear stories like this it just makes me wonder what the world is coming to.
Ah, but spaying and neutering has a purpose...without it, we would have a problem far worse than this.

salty blues

I once saw a cat with a string tied to it's tail with a button on the end of the string. It was quite a rodeo there for a while.

gmann1139

Originally Posted by bigarn
http:///forum/post/2960901
Unless the animal signs a waiver none of it should be allowed ....
The animal was under 18... they'd need their parent's signature.
But their parents are probably under 18 too...
Conundrum of conundrums

darthtang aw

This story has been a big discussion in the grooming and animal industry for a month or so now, if not longer. I have spoken with various other pet business owners about this, mainly groomers.
Some things to point out as I see this a no different than the following.
Dew claws removed as puppies. ( This is painful, the argument in support of it is the puppies brain is not developed enough yet to remember this pain) I have seen this first hand, and puppies cry during this procedure.
Ears docked. This is mainly done becaus ethis is the breed standard. In some dog this helps prevent infections of the ear canal, however if this was done for a medical reason then all breeds should have this done. This is just an excuse to justify the cutting and docking of the ears.
Docking of the tail. It is painful. even though done most times under anesthesia the animal does have pain and discomfort for a few days afterwards. There is no medical reason to do this. Yet it is done and accepted.
Toe nail clippings. Dogs have a vein in the toenail. This is common knowledge. Groomers will catch this vein when clipping nails on occasion, some do it because the owners want the nail shorter. This causes pain equivalent to an ear piercing. Now there is a medical explanation for clipping toe nails, but only so they do not exceed the bottom of the pad. There is no other reason to do it otherwise as the nail does not hinder the dog. Yet owners (many of them on this board I am sure) risk the cutting of the vein because they want the nail shorter...so they risk placing their dog through pain for their selfish desire.
I won't touch on Nueter and spade as this serves a purpose. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
Ear canal hair removal. In many breeds it is standard to do this. some breeds grow more hair. The hair does not hinder anything if clipped, but plucking and pulling of it is what is desired. Ever pulled out a nose hair? Now multiple that in the pain department and this is pulling out ear hair to a dog. There are powders used to help minimize the pain, but it is not 100% effective. You do not nbeed to remove the hair by pulling, you could shave it around the openning and as long as the owners keep the ear canal clean you will see no problems medically. So this procedure is not needed and just done for asthetics as well.
Now, compare all that to piercing the cartilage of a dog's or cat's ear......and tell me if it is in violation of the law based off the practices currently accepted in the animal industry.
Then remember, we brand cows and horses. When dogs are nuetered now, they are tattooed with mark showing they are nuetered so if animal control picks them up they can tell this. We also ear tag deer and other wild animals to track and monitor them. Cows are ear tagged (pierced). So tell me, what is the difference between the cow and the cat or dog?

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///forum/post/2961260
Then remember, we brand cows and horses. When dogs are nuetered now, they are tattooed with mark showing they are nuetered so if animal control picks them up they can tell this. We also ear tag deer and other wild animals to track and monitor them. Cows are ear tagged (pierced). So tell me, what is the difference between the cow and the cat or dog?
They freeze brand horses these days typically. (cows are another story) That serves a purpose too.
I can't imagine this case resulting in a conviction. Because of said practices.