Flow rate: 660gph
Energy consumption: 7W
Dimensions: Diameter = 2.7"; Outlet Diameter = 1.5"/0.59"
-vs.-
Hydor Koralia
Koralia 2600 gph4.52-7/8" x 5-7/8" $45 each
or
Koralia 3850 gph6.52-7/8" x 5-7/8" $50 each
I am going to get 2 new pumps. But wich 2?

katz

Just got one of the Tunze nanostreams. It is a lot smaller than the Hydor. I have not used it yet but I like how it looks.
Katz

acrylic51

Nanostreams....you can't compare the 2.....that's like trying to compare apples to oranges..........Nanos'

helpme74

I got the Koralia 4 and i like it . they are a little big but i will show you my tank its a 75gal look on the left of the tank to see my Koralia

L

lastresort

The nanos are sooooooooooooo nice.Very compact.You hardly notice them.I have a 6025 and a 6045 on a 72g tank.

wangotango

i think joncat is using the koralia, but im not 100% sure. they're cheaper but unless you have a very large tank, they just take up too much space. im putting a nano stream 6025 in my 55. i like the compactness.
-Justin

joncat24

I have the koralia #4 1200gph. It is a very nice flow, wide gentle "v" pattern flow. They are a little bigger than the nano streams but for $45 for a 1200 gph pump I can live with it. They also have a very nice suction cup/magnet mount. They are about 1 inch larger than the nano stream 6045 for about 1/2 the money.....I am very happy with mine

I've got several of the Tunze 6025's and have nothing but good to say about them. I'm waiting on the 6045's to come out, plan on getting one to finish things up for a while (famous last words......!)
I've not much experience with Hydors, have heard nothing but good about them, but I am sold on the quality that Tunze puts into their products.
Chris

viper_930

I've got two 6025s and I'm very happy with them. Initially they take some time to break it, but after that it's smooth running. You can even modify them to pump much more water than they're rated for. I've heard 1.5 to 2x as much. I'll be modding one of mine tomorrow and I'll report back.

J

jrthomas40

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
I've got two 6025s and I'm very happy with them. Initially they take some time to break it, but after that it's smooth running. You can even modify them to pump much more water than they're rated for. I've heard 1.5 to 2x as much. I'll be modding one of mine tomorrow and I'll report back.
how or where do you find the mod for those...i am NEEDING some power heads badly and getting tired of trying to get the koralia....i have been trying to hold out for them but i am starting to get some hair algae growing and my sand is staying dirty...in the case you cant put where to get the mod...onetightaccord@hotmail.com

J

jrthomas40

forgot to mention that one thing i dont like about the tunze is that you have to buy the magnetic holder separately...

debdeb

There's a way to mod the Koralia's like you do the maxi-jet's to increase flow also. I have 2 Koralia's for my 180 but still not set up yet. Hoping to mod them once I find out how. Anyone know, can you share the info? Thx!

vtfishies

Originally Posted by bracebldrs
never had the other but the nanos nice. theres a modification you can
do to increase flow too.
i would also like to know how to modify it..just bought the 6025..well work the 60$..but cant hurt to have alittle more flow..thanks

viper_930

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
forgot to mention that one thing i dont like about the tunze is that you have to buy the magnetic holder separately...
The 6025s and 6045s should come with the magnets.
I don't know anywhere to buy the mod already done. It's pretty easy to make though. I'll post pics once I get home later.

J

jrthomas40

well i FINALLY got 2 #4 and 2 #3 koralia's today they should be here tuesday or wednesday...i have looked everywhere and finally found a place last night that had them and they werent on back order and they had plenty of them....i am excited now...when someone finds that mod for them i would like to know

viper_930

Ok here's the pics of the mod, but first...
Warning: This modification will void your warranty!

Here's a size comparison pic next to a 12 oz.

The mod essentially opens up the intake to allow more water faster through the propeller. Remove the front faceplate from the nanostream and cut off the upper portion of the cylinder that would normally surround the propeller. Here's a before/after pic of what it should look like.

You can use a dremel, bone cutters, wire snippers, and even big nail clippers.

Up close of the (almost) finished faceplate. My dremel ran out of batteries before I could smooth out the edges, but it works fine as is.

If you mess up or the nanostream doesn't work right after the mod for whatever reason, a brand new front faceplate can be purchased for about 10 bucks or so from the manufacturer.
I would estimate my 6025 with the mod pumps about 900-1000 gph, though I didn't actually measure it.
Before the mod, I measured 5 watts using a kill-a-watt meter. After the mod the same pump measured at 4 watts. So hey you save 1 watt!

viper_930

Unfortunately we can't name sites.
A simple google search will give you a number of different sites that carry them.