Tunze NanoStream vs. Hydor Koralia

joncat24

not trying to get anyone fired up or anything but, I was wondering why someone would pay big $$ for a tunze when you have to mod it to get the same flow as a cheaper model without a mod. The koralia pumps 1200 gph at 7 watts for less than 1/2 of a 6045 and it doesnt require any mods. It also runs so quiet you can't hear it.
Like I said, not trying to get anyone flamed up, just looking to see if I am missing something or what???

J

jrthomas40

i wonder the same thing...but to each his own and i have found that it is trial and error keep what works for you

viper_930

The koralias are much bigger than the nanostreams. If I want two of them in my soon-to-be 30g display they'll take up way too much room.
I wasn't really conserned about the price, but I did find 6025s at $55 each plus $8 shipping, so not much difference from a similar koralia. I usually spend the initial cash just to know it's exactly what I want.

J

jrthomas40

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
The koralias are much bigger than the nanostreams. If I want two of them in my soon-to-be 30g display they'll take up way too much room.
I wasn't really conserned about the price, but I did find 6025s at $55 each plus $8 shipping, so not much difference from a similar koralia. I usually spend the initial cash just to know it's exactly what I want.
good point...if theres not much price difference then go with the gut is what i say :)

acrylic51

Originally Posted by joncat24
not trying to get anyone fired up or anything but, I was wondering why someone would pay big $$ for a tunze when you have to mod it to get the same flow as a cheaper model without a mod. The koralia pumps 1200 gph at 7 watts for less than 1/2 of a 6045 and it doesnt require any mods. It also runs so quiet you can't hear it.
Like I said, not trying to get anyone flamed up, just looking to see if I am missing something or what???
Hey Joncat24 do you have a pic of yours mounted?

joncat24

not the best pic of it but here it is....model #4
I see youalready looked at that pic on the other thread....look at post number 36 on the other thread for close ups

ninjamini

Originally Posted by joncat24
Dont forget that some people might have them already.
How about the lower watt rating.
Smaller size.
Better brand
The nanostream is also a proven pump.
Also, when you keep a pump 2-4 years...does $10 or $20 matter?
There are a lot of reasons that someone might want to do that. not me but alot of folks.
Also think that the

fbm

Tunze nanostreams are alot easier to direct than the koralia's. I also prefer the look of the nanostreams to the koralias. I may try the mod on the nanostreams and sell my korolia 4. Less powerheads the better.

J

jrthomas40

Originally Posted by fbm
Tunze nanostreams are alot easier to direct than the koralia's. I also prefer the look of the nanostreams to the koralias. I may try the mod on the nanostreams and sell my korolia 4. Less powerheads the better.
man i wish i would have known you was selling it before i bought mine...i would have taken it from you

Originally Posted by Bruder
Anyone with a Nanostream think they are kind of loud? Mine seems to be a bit noisy :notsure:
Only time that I notice mine is when I power them back up after a WC, and then only for a second. If they made any noise other times my DW would be quick to point it out to me!
Chris

bruder

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
How long have you had it Bruder? They usually take 2-3 days of constant running to break in.
Just started my new 75 today. Did a fill with RO and tested heaters and nanostreams. I'll give it a few days. It's not too bad. But hopefully it will break in. Thanks Justin

G

gsxr1100

I am going to get 2 Koralia #4 since they equal the price of (1) nano 6045. Plus the Koralia's will have 2x the flow for the same price as (1) nane. The watts on the 6045 and the #4 are within 0.5 (that is 1/2) watt folks.
I know the nano's are a no no for wave makers.

indiglo

What size of a tunze nano stream or a koralia would work best in a 55 gal? Right now I have 3 Rio 800 going.

jhebi

I agree with Joncat.....The koralia's are awsome. I have 2 tunzes in my 135 gl, but comparing to the koralia's I would buy 2 instead of 1 tunze anytime. And besides if you are putting on a big tank, it doesn't look big at all. I am going to order 2 more for my soon reef tank at work. For $40 bucks, that beats anything.
I believe is choice. Some people will like the nanostreams others the koralia. I love mine koralia's.

G

gsxr1100

Come to find out the koralia;s are now no no on wavemakers too.