Tunze NanoStream vs. Hydor Koralia

J

jrthomas40

wooo hooo!!! i got mine today and i cant wait to put them in my tank...i got 2 of the #4's and they are pretty BIG and i also got 2 of the #3's so i havent decided if i am going to put both of the 3's in the 90 or 1 of the #4 and 1 of the #3 in the 90...i paid 180 for all 4 with free shippin...wooo hoo!!! so excited

ninjamini

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
wooo hooo!!! i got mine today and i cant wait to put them in my tank...i got 2 of the #4's and they are pretty BIG and i also got 2 of the #3's so i havent decided if i am going to put both of the 3's in the 90 or 1 of the #4 and 1 of the #3 in the 90...i paid 180 for all 4 with free shippin...wooo hoo!!! so excited
How about a pic of one next to another next to a maxijet 900.

gatorwpb

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
Ok here's the pics of the mod, but first...
Warning: This modification will void your warranty!

Here's a size comparison pic next to a 12 oz.
The mod essentially opens up the intake to allow more water faster through the propeller. Remove the front faceplate from the nanostream and cut off the upper portion of the cylinder that would normally surround the propeller. Here's a before/after pic of what it should look like.
You can use a dremel, bone cutters, wire snippers, and even big nail clippers.

Up close of the (almost) finished faceplate. My dremel ran out of batteries before I could smooth out the edges, but it works fine as is.
If you mess up or the nanostream doesn't work right after the mod for whatever reason, a brand new front faceplate can be purchased for about 10 bucks or so from the manufacturer.
I would estimate my 6025 with the mod pumps about 900-1000 gph, though I didn't actually measure it.
Before the mod, I measured 5 watts using a kill-a-watt meter. After the mod the same pump measured at 4 watts. So hey you save 1 watt!

Hey Viper, any update on the mods?
You have any trouble with the prop on startup with them? Any extra noise?
I have 2 tunze 6025s because I like their smaller size and shape. And who couldnt use a little extra flow?

viper_930

I haven't been running it constantly. I've just been using it to mix new saltwater until I setup my new tank. If anything, the mod made it quieter, and there's no startup problems.
According to Tunze, the cylinder that I cut off for the mod is designed to prevent startup problems. If the prop spins in the wrong direction, it flies forward into the cylinder and once it reaches a certain point it rights itself and falls back in place. However, just by looking at my modded pump, it doesn't seem like the mod would affect the startup in any way.

J

jrthomas40

Originally Posted by ninjamini
How about a pic of one next to another next to a maxijet 900.
i could take a pic of the #3 and #4 but i dont have a maxijet 900...i will try to do it tomorrow
i put one of the #4 in my 90g tank tonight...WOW!!!! i was impressed!!! i put it in the upper left rear pointed toward the center of the tank and i think it might be too strong so i was thinking about putting the 850 in which would still give me a turnover of little over 12 (instead of 16 with the 1200)...but it may just take my tank some getting use to the 1200 since it is going from a 160gph sweeper
i was also thinking of putting the 850 in with the 1200 and putting them on the timer with my lights so when my vhos come on the 850 will come on too...then when the HQI's come on the 1200 will too...then off would be the same...anybody think that is a good or bad idea??? since they dont come with a wave controller like tunze

J

jrthomas40

Originally Posted by indiglo
Or are these worth it?

definitely get the #3 koralia if you havent decided yet...i put my #4 in the tank today and it was incredible how wide the flow was...i have water movement in all 4 corners of the tank...maybe a little slower in the back though but still movement

ninjamini

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
definitely get the #3 koralia if you havent decided yet...i put my #4 in the tank today and it was incredible how wide the flow was...i have water movement in all 4 corners of the tank...maybe a little slower in the back though but still movement
I just ordered the #3 koralia. I should have it by tues.

J

jrthomas40

I just ordered the #3 koralia. I should have it by tues.
awesome i dont think you will be disappointed

J

jrthomas40

dang why didnt it post the pictures instead of the links

viper_930

Just FYI to koralia users: All of the Koralia models 2 and 3 are being recalled. Turns out the motors aren't completely sealed. Call the number below and ship them back for replacements.
Model 2s will be simply straight swapped for new pumps, but they're out of the model 3s for now. Anybody who has a recalled model 3 will recieve a free upgrade to a model 4 until they get more.
4147 Northgate Blvd, Suite 6, Sacramento, CA 95834 - USA
Ph. 001 (916)920-5222 - Fax 001 (916)920-5522

ninjamini

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
Just FYI to koralia users: All of the Koralia models 2 and 3 are being recalled. Turns out the motors aren't completely sealed. Call the number below and ship them back for replacements.
Model 2s will be simply straight swapped for new pumps, but they're out of the model 3s for now. Anybody who has a recalled model 3 will recieve a free upgrade to a model 4 until they get more.
Ph. 001 (916)920-5222 - Fax 001 (916)920-5522
They will give an upgrade to a 4 now and then send a 3 later?
I just ordered a 3 in a local group buy. I wonder what they will do?

G

gsxr1100

I just got my K4 in today. It has flow and I need another for my 75

viper_930

They will give an upgrade to a 4 now and then send a 3 later?
I just ordered a 3 in a local group buy. I wonder what they will do?
As far as I know, if you send them a 3 they'll give you a 4 to keep. Might be best to call them about it though.

ninjamini

Do you have contact info for them? Who makes them?
Edie: found it:
Ph. 001 (916)920-5222
Mr. Matt Herreid
mailto:hydor.usa@hydor.com

addicted2

I am going to purchase the koralias...I have a 75 gal..I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion on which to get..the 2 or 3. I plan on getting 2 of them , one for each end of the tank. any suggestions on size?

G

gsxr1100

I think you can only get the 1 and 4's for now due to recall.