what causes fish to breath fast

corky66

That my question, for some reason in the last week my fish seem to be breathing faster then normal. my anenames and polyps and leathers all seam to be ok. i have lost 2 skunk shrimp in the last week. I have checked my water quality, and the ph, the amonia , nitrites , and nitrates, salinity are all good. is there a test im missing or what could be causing it. i need info please dont want to loose any of my fish.
corky 66 panama kid

sepulatian

Fish could breath rapidly for many reasons. Stress, if they are being harrassed or chased. Water quality, any detectable ammonia or nitrite. Poor oxygenation will usually cause them to breath rapidly (like they can't catch their breath). Disease, which of course stresses them out. Can you give us some more information about your tank? What kind of fish was breathing rapidly, what else is in the tank, how old is your system, and what are your EXACT water readings.

corky66

i have a yellow tand 6 stripe rasse scooter blenny mandrine maroon clown peppermint shrimp bi color blenny.. its a 55 gallon with about 50 lbs of l.r. prizom protiend skimmer, a rena 3 stage filter 2 power heads only thing i dont have is i real strong lighting system . thats next. salinity is 1.023 nitrite are less then .2 amonia is less then 0.1 ph is 8.0 maybe 7.9 to close to call and nitrates are 10 -20 ppm closer to the 10

sepulatian

Originally Posted by corky66
i have a yellow tand 6 stripe rasse scooter blenny mandrine maroon clown peppermint shrimp bi color blenny.. its a 55 gallon with about 50 lbs of l.r. prizom protiend skimmer, a rena 3 stage filter 2 power heads only thing i dont have is i real strong lighting system . thats next. salinity is 1.023 nitrite are less then .2 amonia is less then 0.1 ph is 8.0 maybe 7.9 to close to call and nitrates are 10 -20 ppm closer to the 10
Did you let this system cycle? How many fish have you added at once? They are breathing rapidly because you have ammonia and nitrite. Your YT is also a very active fish and will be a little on the stressed side in a 55 as it is, with the detectable ammonia and nitrite this is the reason for them breathing heavy. You will have to do some water changes to get them both down to a steady zero. Also, what kind of test kit are you using? Those readings don't sound right to me. Ammonia doesn't usually test at .1, .25 is usually the lowest. Do you mean 1ppm? Same for nitrite. It is not usually measured in decimals. Maybe you just have a kit that I am not familiar with.