We've moved to new platform. Passwords set before 24th July, 2014 will not work. Please reset your password, follow this link if help needed.
  1. We want to see anything and everything that is in your saltwater aquarium! FISH - CORAL - INVERTS - EVEN INTERESTING AQUASCAPES - WE WANT IT ALL!! To enter, post your picture in the "PHOTO CONTEST!!" thread under the Photography Forum *CONTEST ENDS SUNDAY AT MIDNIGHT EST*

What do you need for a turtle tank?

Discussion in 'The Aquarium' started by johnbob, Feb 19, 2007.

  1. johnbob

    johnbob New Member

    My sister has her mind set on getting a turtle so I just need to know what you need for a turtle. The turtle she wants to get is about the size of a quarter and I just need to know what size tank she should get, type of filter, and lighting?
    Thanks for any help.
  2. hot883

    hot883 New Member

    Depends on the type of turtle. Is it a red ear slider?
  3. johnbob

    johnbob New Member

    Well she hasn't narrowed it down but its either a red-ear slider, a box turtle, or a mississippi map turtle.
  4. petjunkie

    petjunkie New Member

    What size tank for now or for life? Turtles run about the same size recommendations as fish so about a 125 for life or a 55 to start out with, a smaller tank will cause them to grow improperly and have major health problems, the best canister filter you can buy, and a good way to get them proper lighting and a basking area is to build a addition onto the tank that they can crawl onto with a heat lamp and uv lights. Don't house more than one together, but you can put some live plants in and feeder fish can hide and breed in the tank. By the way, this advice applies to sliders and maps, don't know anything about box turtles sorry.
  5. hot883

    hot883 New Member

    Box is a land turtle that needs some space. I have bred them so I know alot about them. My turtle enclosure was 8'x8' outside for the box turtles I bred.
    Map and red eared sliders need a 10 gal. as for the first few months. They can both get dinner plate size. Water turtles need a space or area where they can get OUT of the water to dry their shells. If they can't they will die.
    In most states it is against he law to buy/sell/have a turtle UNDER 3" because of Salimanella (sp) and under 3" are usually only optained for education purposes. I did buy a map and red in Florida the size of a quarter 2 years ago.
  6. hot883

    hot883 New Member

    most important things about turtles is TO ENSURE EVERYONE THAT HANDLES THEM WASHES THEIR HANDS IMMEDIATELY.
  7. shogun323

    shogun323 New Member

    Originally Posted by hot883
    In most states it is against he law to buy/sell/have a turtle UNDER 3" because of Salimanella (sp) and under 3" are usually only optained for education purposes. I did buy a map and red in Florida the size of a quarter 2 years ago.
    There are roadside vendors all over selling the quarter sized red ear sliders down here. They get around the law by saying they are selling you the plastic stand for $25 and giving you the turtle for free.
    A friend of mine bought 2 of them and named them "Sam and Ella"
  8. johnbob

    johnbob New Member

    Thanks for all of the help guys. She's actually going to get a yellow belly that is about the size of a quarter.
  9. johnbob

    johnbob New Member

    Well the reptile store didn't have any left so she got one off of a website so it should be here tommorow. But whats funny she had never seen any large snakes before because she doesn't go to pet stores to often. Well there was a 18 ft. reticulated python in a cage in the corner and she pointed to the cage and said "Look they even have rabbits". You should have seen her face when I said the python was going to eat it.
  10. 30-xtra high

    30-xtra high New Member

    Originally Posted by hot883
    most important things about turtles is TO ENSURE EVERYONE THAT HANDLES THEM WASHES THEIR HANDS IMMEDIATELY.
    i wouldn't make that big of a deal out of it... apparently all reptiles have salmanella... but i eat with my snakes... i eat while they are around my neck, so i obviously touch them, and then touch my food, and honestly i think it would be harder to get salmanella than to not get... i think you would literally have to lick them and eat their crap.,
    used to have a turtle, a little quarter sized one that got about 5 inches before i had to get rid of it because that whole under 3 inches thing. i just dropped it at my lfs, and the manager kept him.
    i'd say water turtles are funner, set up a freshwater tank and put a snake necked turtle in it... they're really cool and eat goldfish
  11. 30-xtra high

    30-xtra high New Member

    Originally Posted by Johnbob
    Well the reptile store didn't have any left so she got one off of a website so it should be here tommorow. But whats funny she had never seen any large snakes before because she doesn't go to pet stores to often. Well there was a 18 ft. reticulated python in a cage in the corner and she pointed to the cage and said "Look they even have rabbits". You should have seen her face when I said the python was going to eat it.
    my lfs manager has a pregnant 15foot retic, and its the coolest thing i've ever seen in my life... and it eats frozen rabbits so it doesn't get injured (scratched by rabbit claws when eaten)
    you shoulda stayed to watch the snake eat, its a blast.
  12. hot883

    hot883 New Member

    Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
    i wouldn't make that big of a deal out of it... apparently all reptiles have salmanella... but i eat with my snakes... i eat while they are around my neck, so i obviously touch them, and then touch my food, and honestly i think it would be harder to get salmanella than to not get... i think you would literally have to lick them and eat their crap.,
    used to have a turtle, a little quarter sized one that got about 5 inches before i had to get rid of it because that whole under 3 inches thing. i just dropped it at my lfs, and the manager kept him.
    i'd say water turtles are funner, set up a freshwater tank and put a snake necked turtle in it... they're really cool and eat goldfish
    Well we are talking about his little sister so the advice is NEEDED. What you do with your snakes is your deal.
    I will always advise people that handle any animal to wash their hands. Common Sense prevails.
  13. petjunkie

    petjunkie New Member

    The reason that law is on the books is because back in the 70s pet turtles became really popular and little kids would put them in their mouth and get sick, so the thought was sell them bigger than their mouth! But yeah, just to be safe I would always wash your hands after cleaning or handling, I have an iguana and snake and am constantly washing my hands. Not worth the risk, IMO. Johnbob, is she getting a tiny one off a website because there is a certain company that illegally sells babies and is known for unhealthy animals. Hope hers is from somewhere reputable. Good luck with it.
  14. 30-xtra high

    30-xtra high New Member

    Originally Posted by hot883
    Well we are talking about his little sister so the advice is NEEDED. What you do with your snakes is your deal.
    I will always advise people that handle any animal to wash their hands. Common Sense prevails.
    any animal??... you're saying you've never sat down to eat dinner, and your dog comes up to you begging for food and you've never petted him/her without washing your hands immediatly afterwards?, i'd say thats a lil extreme.
  15. shogun323

    shogun323 New Member

    Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
    any animal??... you're saying you've never sat down to eat dinner, and your dog comes up to you begging for food and you've never petted him/her without washing your hands immediatly afterwards?, i'd say thats a lil extreme.
    Comparing petting a dog to handling a turtle is a rediculous analogy. Seriously.
    If it's all not a big deal, then why bother brushing your teeth or washing your hands? The indians probably didn't do it, right?
  16. hot883

    hot883 New Member

    Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
    any animal??... you're saying you've never sat down to eat dinner, and your dog comes up to you begging for food and you've never petted him/her without washing your hands immediatly afterwards?, i'd say thats a lil extreme.
    This is starting to get off topic (sorry Johnbob) but petting a dog on the head and handling a snake, lizard, turtle etc. that walks and lays in their poop is totally different.
    For the sake of this thread author, I am done.
  17. 30-xtra high

    30-xtra high New Member

    Originally Posted by shogun323
    Comparing petting a dog to handling a turtle is a rediculous analogy. Seriously.
    If it's all not a big deal, then why bother brushing your teeth or washing your hands? The indians probably didn't do it, right?
    that is hygene, we are not talking about hygene... we are talking about getting salmanella, sorry johnbob, i'm done with this arguement also, just wanted to clear this up for shotgun., and shotgun, don't reply to this, i'm not going to agree with you just like you aren't going to agree with me, and lets not hijack this thread more than we already have.
    johnbob good luck with your turtle.
  18. maeistero

    maeistero New Member

    :thinking: i must have salmonella by now. 4 different species of water turtles and a sulcatta. plus my wifey's lizard. we wash our hands after handling the african turtle and the gecko. for the water turtles you just have to do tons of water changes, basking site and light.
    that's just what we do. i don't think i've died yet.
  19. 30-xtra high

    30-xtra high New Member

    Originally Posted by shogun323
    Comparing petting a dog to handling a turtle is a rediculous analogy. Seriously.
    If it's all not a big deal, then why bother brushing your teeth or washing your hands? The indians probably didn't do it, right?
    brushing teeth is hygene... salmanella isn't hygene , but good try.
    and johnbob, hows the turtle doin?
  20. shogun323

    shogun323 New Member

    Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
    brushing teeth is hygene... salmanella isn't hygene , but good try.
    and johnbob, hows the turtle doin?
    Salmonella is a real potential threat especially to kids via turtles. Just because you never got it from playing with turtles doesnt mean it isnt a big deal. That's like saying I never got anyone pregnent so birth control isnt a big deal or I never got lung cancer from smoking so don't worry about it.
    The point of my previous post was that Salmonella can be prevented by proper hygene (ie hand washing) in the case of handling turtles but I guess that went over your head. :notsure: I must say that it is funny how you attempted a couple posts back to agree to disagree and want to stop hijacking the thread. So I take the high road and don't say a word. Now you come back clearly for the sole prupose to rehash things?!!? Come on kid! Seriously.
    I think this thread has run it's course.

Share This Page