what does hair algae look like

T

thomas712

Not quite hair algea but close, this is a pic of bryopsis the worst kind you can have.

michaeltx

very very bad!!
do a search for "I QUIT" thats what it made me do not fun.
it can over run the tank fairly quickly and kill corals., not a good algae to have in a tank.
Mike

clarkiiboi

It's not desired thats for sure. I had it for awhile and it never got too out of hand, but was on its way if I didn't do something soon. As for what to do, there are many different ways to try and I'm sure looking at MichealTX's post will have alot of ways listed there, as well as a search, so I suggest doing this. Sometimes one way works for 1 member and not for another, you just have to do it with the trial and error method, IMO.
Thomas712
Does that bryopsis look like fern leaves up close? I got an order of ceriths with something similar to that on some of their shells and wasn't sure what to do and went ahead and added them that way. Well, the tang had a meal on it. Just curious, I bet I got lucky that the tang ate it.

j21kickster

hair algae is one of those things that most new reefs go through (- mine did for over 2 months and after that it was gone keep your water nutrient levels low- i.e dont over feed or overstock and do your water changes and it is harder for it to grow