We've moved to new platform. Passwords set before 24th July, 2014 will not work. Please reset your password, follow this link if help needed.
  1. Hello! We noticed you are not a member of the Saltwaterfish Forum Family yet. Sign up now, and you will receive instant savings and freebies on your Saltwaterfish.com purchases. To the right is the link to 'Sign Up Now!'. We hope to meet you soon!

what eats hair algae

Discussion in 'New Hobbyists' started by socalracer, Mar 1, 2008.

1. socalracer

socalracer New Member

i have green hair algae and its not horrible, (i kinda like a lil on the rocks) but it looks really bad on the sand bed what will eat it Hermits?
  2. socalracer

socalracer New Member

after searching my algae is a dark green and in the sand i grows in small pea to marble sized clumps it is straight and mostly goes upward and a lil to the sides
  3. veni vidi vici

veni vidi vici New Member

Lawnmower Blenny.
  4. socalracer

socalracer New Member

thanks anything except fish do i need more hermits
  5. veni vidi vici

veni vidi vici New Member

Turbo snails
  6. bdhutier

bdhutier New Member

My turbos wouldn't touch mine. It wasn't bad, so I left it, and it eventually died off like my diatoms.
  7. socalracer

socalracer New Member

ya my snails wont touch it either especially the stuff growing in the sand bed
  8. waterlogged

waterlogged New Member

I have 1 piece of live rock with it and a lawnmower blenny or turbo snails don't touch it.
  9. angler man

angler man New Member

Originally Posted by socalracer

i have green hair algae and its not horrible, (i kinda like a lil on the rocks) but it looks really bad on the sand bed what will eat it Hermits?
    The most ugliest of all creatures, the seahare. They leave some massive poo piles too, so I believe they may be related to elephants, not so sure on that one though.
  10. alabama reefer

alabama reefer New Member

Seahare will eat it and some urchins. Lawnmower blenny will only eat the real short stuff as do the mexican turbo snails.
  11. yerboy

yerboy New Member

seahares will devourer it and sometimes to the point that they will consume there entire food supply in a short amount of time so if you do decide to get a seahare make sure you have a future home for it or plan on feeding it algae sheets once all the hair algae is gone.
    edit: also some fish may try to eat it so its best to take that into consideration.
    My dogface swallowed a $25 seahare before it hit the sand.
  12. angler man

angler man New Member

Originally Posted by yerboy

seahares will devourer it and sometimes to the point that they will consume there entire food supply in a short amount of time so if you do decide to get a seahare make sure you have a future home for it or plan on feeding it algae sheets once all the hair algae is gone.
    edit: also some fish may try to eat it so its best to take that into consideration.
    My dogface swallowed a $25 seahare before it hit the sand.
    That's brutal!
  13. yerboy

yerboy New Member

Originally Posted by Angler man

That's brutal!
    Yah and then the puffer swims around the tank acting like he didnt like the taste of it... to late for that huh.
  14. angler man

angler man New Member

Yah and then the puffer swims around the tank acting like he didnt like the taste of it... to late for that huh.

LMAO! What an ungrateful dogface!
  15. fats71

fats71 New Member

I am sorry man but thats is funny lol...
  16. sepulatian

sepulatian Moderator Staff Member

Mexican turbos eat it quite quickly. There is a pic of one behind my begging hawk. The large snail.
  17. meathead

meathead New Member

Sea Hares will take care of algae fast. Mine was like a lawnmower and within a few days my 75g tank was hair algae free. Three week later, it was sea hare free too.
    Take the advice from yerboy, find another home or feed it algae sheets.
  18. keith burn

keith burn New Member

Originally Posted by Meathead

Sea Hares will take care of algae fast. Mine was like a lawnmower and within a few days my 75g tank was hair algae free. Three week later, it was sea hare free too.
    Take the advice from yerboy, find another home or feed it algae sheets.
    My lfs rents me one $5.00 well $15.00 and will give me store credit for $10.00.
    I have him week tops, one or so times a year lol...
  19. angler man

angler man New Member

Originally Posted by keith burn

My lfs rents me one $5.00 well $15.00 and will give me store credit for $10.00.
    I have him week tops, one or so times a year lol...
    That is the coolest thing I have ever heard! I wish mine would have done that!
  20. keith burn

keith burn New Member

Originally Posted by Angler man

That is the coolest thing I have ever heard! I wish mine would have done that!
    ask.