What kind of Career in Marine Biology is in demand right now?

scopus tang

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2559036
What kind of Career in Marine Biology is in high demand right now?
Tagging along for the ride. I've done some research on this for my class, and everything I've find indicates there is no high demand areas in this field right now. According to what I've found, many who work in the field are actually college proffessors who spend their summers doing research. Those who work as dolphin and whale trainers make almost nothing. Like any job out there however, there are jobs ~ you just have to sell yourself. Curious to see what others may have found.

K

kikithemermaid

I said this before, but I'm a marine bio major in college so hit me up with questions if you have any! It is true trainers make almost nothing (about as much as a McDonald's manager) but I'm not going into it for the money, I'm going into it because I love it.
Conservationists are always needed.

lions_den

Originally Posted by kikithemermaid
http:///forum/post/2559545
I said this before, but I'm a marine bio major in college so hit me up with questions if you have any! It is true trainers make almost nothing (about as much as a McDonald's manager) but I'm not going into it for the money, I'm going into it because I love it.
Conservationists are always needed.
I'm going to college next year for marine biology and hope to one day open up my own aquarium and rehabilitation center.
do you know of any schools that you can recommend that has a good marine program?
i was thinking of going to Northeastern University up in boston but
i recently bought a puppy and i would hate to leave him and also i already have an established tank at home so i also do not want to leave that when i have learned alot from starting the tank...
any suggestions or advice would be awesome
Thanks,
Mike

ophiura

There have been MANY threads on the marine biology topic and I highly encourage people to read them. I for one do not recommend an undergrad degree in marine bio; general bio with a broad background is often more marketable long term and gives you a better foundation in a HIGHLY competitive environment. Besides, you may learn that marine bio really isn't all its cracked up to be and you really prefer biochemistry.
IMO, fisheries biology and aqua/mari-culture are two major areas where work is probably likely. Biochemistry related fields, using marine organisms for research into medicines, and technological advances is also a likely candidate (but get the degree in biochem). Many other fields (marine ecology, coral reef biology) are highly competitive and there are a lot of idle researchers, IMO.
If you want to open an aquarium, I personally think that Marine Biology has very little to do with it and would suggest you pursue a degree in animal husbandry, zookeeping, etc esp at a hands on training college. In fact, in the aquarium industry, many look down on those with marine biology degrees. There is little correlation between marine biology and captive husbandry of animals. Zoology, veterinary medicine, etc are IMO better undergraduate (or graduate) avenues if you want to get into rehabilitation.
Dolphin trainers are not frequently fully trained marine biologists (in fact if you say such a thing to a marine biologist they are likely to roll their eyes at you). Again, animal husbandry or even animal behavior are far better choices, IMO, in that field.

howardj

This is weird, I am doing a Marine Biology research paper in english right now. 1000-1500 words :paty:, not
I chose Jacksonville University in Florida for my place to go to college.
This in no way answers your question, just thought I'd share... I'm sitting in English class right now.