White Pods on live rock

star

I need some advise please. I have a 55 gal. tank that has been up and running for approx. 2 months. I have some white fuzzy pod like things growing on my live rock - there is a hole that you can look into in the middle - they also look like they are wearing a crown.
Any ideas what this is?? And what should I do with it??

star

Thank you for that incredible link - what wonderful info. I feel like a real idiot now - these are not the white blobs, but I do have these all over my tank and in my ignorance was so excited to have something growing on my live rock that I had the entire family come over and look.:eek:
My blobs don't have any arms like these do - they seem to grow up in size - I will try and get some pics this weekend to see if that clarifies things.
I also noticed something that looks like a flea?? in the sand bed - could that be? Bigger and longer than a flea, and white.

nero

WELCOME!
I also noticed something that looks like a flea?? in the sand bed - could that be? Bigger and longer than a flea, and white.
if they look like little shrimp, and are about the size of a fry, then they are probably copepods... they are very good :) you want those, they are a sign of a well established tank :)
these are copepods:

star

It's rather hard to say - I saw it very briefly - but it does seem similar.
Thanks for the help.
Any suggestions on a small shrimp like critter that has purple and white stripes across the body - very tiny, resembles a shrimp but I found it dead in the corner - next time I checked it was gone.

star

Possibly, I saw it was too tiny to tell - awsome picture though - thank you.
What is the white blob above it - I have alot of what looks like the same thing all over my glass - they are little white swirls - all different sizes but perfect swirls. Any ideas?

duke13

Originally posted by Star
I have some white fuzzy pod like things growing on my live rock - there is a hole that you can look into in the middle - they also look like they are wearing a crown.

Q-tip sponge. I have them growing on a lot of my LR. They're harmless. Mine grow upside down.
At first, I thought they were eggs or something. But as I watched them grow, you can definitely tell it's a spong. I have some that are about a half an inch long now.

star

Update -
Thanks for the advice - I got a peppermint shrimp and even though I don't know where he is, he is definately coming out at night as almost all of the aiptasia is gone - there were at least 15 - 20 of them.
Thank for the help.