White Pods on live rock

Discussion in 'New Hobbyists' started by star, Sep 25, 2004.

1. star

star New Member

I need some advise please. I have a 55 gal. tank that has been up and running for approx. 2 months. I have some white fuzzy pod like things growing on my live rock - there is a hole that you can look into in the middle - they also look like they are wearing a crown.
    Any ideas what this is?? And what should I do with it??
  2. big911dog

big911dog Guest

3. star

star New Member

Thank you for that incredible link - what wonderful info. I feel like a real idiot now - these are not the white blobs, but I do have these all over my tank and in my ignorance was so excited to have something growing on my live rock that I had the entire family come over and look.:eek:
    My blobs don't have any arms like these do - they seem to grow up in size - I will try and get some pics this weekend to see if that clarifies things.
    I also noticed something that looks like a flea?? in the sand bed - could that be? Bigger and longer than a flea, and white.
  4. nero

nero New Member

WELCOME!
    I also noticed something that looks like a flea?? in the sand bed - could that be? Bigger and longer than a flea, and white.
    if they look like little shrimp, and are about the size of a fry, then they are probably copepods... they are very good :) you want those, they are a sign of a well established tank :)
    these are copepods:
  5. star

star New Member

It's rather hard to say - I saw it very briefly - but it does seem similar.
    Thanks for the help.
    Any suggestions on a small shrimp like critter that has purple and white stripes across the body - very tiny, resembles a shrimp but I found it dead in the corner - next time I checked it was gone.
  6. nero

nero New Member

how tiny? (compare it to something)
  7. star

star New Member

Slightly larger than a grain of rice. Pretty colors but odd looking.
  8. nero

nero New Member

are there more than that one? they might be a different kind of copepod...?
  9. star

star New Member

have only seen the one and he was dead.
  10. tizzo

tizzo Guest

Anything like this??
  11. star

star New Member

Possibly, I saw it was too tiny to tell - awsome picture though - thank you.
    What is the white blob above it - I have alot of what looks like the same thing all over my glass - they are little white swirls - all different sizes but perfect swirls. Any ideas?
  12. star

star New Member

By the way - what is that in the picture?
  13. duke13

duke13 New Member

Originally posted by Star
    I have some white fuzzy pod like things growing on my live rock - there is a hole that you can look into in the middle - they also look like they are wearing a crown.

Q-tip sponge. I have them growing on a lot of my LR. They're harmless. Mine grow upside down.
    At first, I thought they were eggs or something. But as I watched them grow, you can definitely tell it's a spong. I have some that are about a half an inch long now.
  14. star

star New Member

Update -
    Thanks for the advice - I got a peppermint shrimp and even though I don't know where he is, he is definately coming out at night as almost all of the aiptasia is gone - there were at least 15 - 20 of them.
    Thank for the help.