White string coming out of clown

neosoulman

hi
last night i noticed a long white stringy-like thing coming from the bottom of one of my clowns (i have 2). i did a 50% water change yesterday, so im not sure if thats just a coincidence or not. this morning the 'string' has disappeared.
anything to be worried about?
what the heck was it?
anybody seen this happpen before?
i read a few other posts here, but havnt really got a strait answer. other than that, my fish are fine, all water paramenters are good as well.

thegrog

It may be normal, but may be a sign of a bacterial infection in his gut. Watch him to see if he is still eating normally. If he gets picky about what he eats and looks a little bloated, you need to get him to a hospital tank and treat it with antibiotics. You CAN NOT treat this in your main tank as the antibiotics will kill off all your LR and LS.
Similiar thing happened to mine. Quite a common problem in clowns, and easily treated in a hospital/QT tank. Treated mine and after a week, she was eating normally. 7 days is all you need to treat this with. Just make sure that they are eating fine before putting them back into the main tank.

neosoulman

ok thanks. i dont have a hospital/QT set up, but if it goes away and i dont notice it again i am assuming he/she will be fine.
Or do you think this will recurr if not treated?

thegrog

Originally Posted by neosoulman
ok thanks. i dont have a hospital/QT set up, but if it goes away and i dont notice it again i am assuming he/she will be fine.
Or do you think this will recurr if not treated?
Might come back, might not.
Not much of an answer, but the best that I have.
They do make some dried food that containst small amounts of antibiotics in them. You may want to try spot feeding him a little bit and see if it helps. Just an idea.