why won't my naso tang eat?

diz

:help: Hi! i'm new to the board! I just got a naso and a sailfin tang a couple of days ago. I've been trying formula two (frozen) and dried brown/green algae sheets to feed them. the sailfin will eat the formula two and bits of the sheets...the naso however, doesn't seem to be eating either (at least during the time I've watched her). he picks at the the LR and LS here and there, but leaves the sheets alone
any suggestions?
thanks,
diz

I

ivanfj

Agree. Try live brine shrimp. Fishy find that hard to resist and try soaking it in garlic.

diz

I didn't know the tangs would eat brine shrimp! I'll give it a try!
They're both in a 55g tank.
Thanks,
diz

raccoon

I had the same problem with my Raccoon butterfly, he would not eat formula 1 or 2, or even frozen brine. He only goes after the live brine and sometimes will just look at it and swim by. I also found out that the Raccoon in the wild usually eat at dusk/night. try to find out if your naso has the same case.

jlem

The naso could be very stressed being in such a small tank with another tang. Is there much swimming room? Naso's in the wild usaually hang out in the open water around the reef and not really within the rocks.

jlem

Originally posted by ejensen
Since you are new, say hello to the tang police.

:D
I like to be known as someone who cares and likes to help somebody that made a bad decision since we all do. But hey Tang police will work for me

dana&pj

I had the same problem with my naso. I got a bag of grape calurpa from the LFS and he ate that until he was more comfortable with his new home. He still won't eat much of the frozen food, but he loves the algae sheets and eats them heartily now.

diz

:happyfish I tried some frozen formula 2 that I had and she ate it up! she's still rejecting the algae sheets, but as long as she eats something, I'm happy!
thanks for all the suggestions!