Why would my protein skimmer not be producing any bubbles?

C

countryfish

I have had my tank now for 2 years and other than getting a hair algae bloom and some red slime all over my substrate my tank runs and looks great, but I just ran into this problem with my protein skimmer where its not producing bubbles. I have a coralife skimmer can anyone tell me whats up? I know it seems like a stupid question but there it is anyways. I would appreciate any help I can get thanks.

twood

I also have a Coralife skimmer and had the same problem. You need to raise the pump to just under the surface of the water. The manual says to not exceed 3" below the water surface when placing the pump. I had to put mine at about 2" below the surface to get it to bubble again.

acrylic51

Do you clean your skimmer? Not just the collection cup, but have you tried taking it apart and soaking it in vinegar?

caz2022

Iv been running one of them for years-check where your airline runs into the pump. Salt creep builds up there and restricts airflow causing less and less bubbles til eventually you dont get any. Just clean it out and it should be fine.

C

countryfish

Thank you guys very much for your input. Shawn and Goal Monger you guys were right on point I haven't cleaned it in a while and I did have a lot of salt creep on the air tube cleaned it and everything is working great!! Again much thanks!!

caz2022

Glad to help. Seems like people give that skimmer a bad rap about microbubbles but I love mine and have never had a problem with it.

jackri

Yup I was thinking salt creep all along before getting to the suggestion --- really have to make sure it can suck air in to produce the micro bubbles.

C

countryfish

Ya I heard the coralife was a great protein skimmer to go with that's why I bought it and honestly I have had no big issues with my whole system. I decided to start off slow and work my way up. The tank started off fish only then added better lighting and now just getting into corals and I'm just addicted.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by countryfish
http:///forum/post/3282343
Thank you guys very much for your input. Shawn and Goal Monger you guys were right on point I haven't cleaned it in a while and I did have a lot of salt creep on the air tube cleaned it and everything is working great!! Again much thanks!!